Favorite Guitarist

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 23 2006, 11:51 AM)
Yngwie is over-rated; I could be the "world's fastest guitarist" too, if all I played were scales and arpeggios.

And Angus Young? What has he done that's so good?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/Kudzu1/jeffersonqft.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 23 2006, 02:51 PM)
Yngwie is over-rated; I could be the "world's fastest guitarist" too, if all I played were scales and arpeggios.

And Angus Young? What has he done that's so good?

Yngwie may be over-rated. Not a fan but I do respect him. It is pretty impressive to see him play that stuff live up close. In particular some of his acoustic stuff was excellent.

I was actually suprised how well he interacted with ( relatively small ) crowd after always reading about what an asshole he was. I have never seen anyone come close to the number of picks thrown to the crowd that he did. He was winging them all over the place, pretty much at the end of every solo.

Amazed, no, GOBSMACKED that no one has mentioned Brian May (OK, Treeduck mentioned someone called "Hendrix May", must be Brian's lesser known 1st cousin, I always thought he went into the landscape gardening business....) or Steve Howe or Robert Fripp!!!

You're all mad, MAD I tell you..............

Brian May is one of my favorites, but I didn't make a list of guitarists. I kept it simple.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 23 2006, 03:07 PM)
Amazed, no, GOBSMACKED that no one has mentioned Brian May (OK, Treeduck mentioned someone called "Hendrix May", must be Brian's lesser known 1st cousin, I always thought he went into the landscape gardening business....) or Steve Howe or Robert Fripp!!!

You're all mad, MAD I tell you..............

What's a missed comma between Rush messageboarders?

smile.gif

steve howe is tops to me.

I love rush, but alex would probably be # 5 or 6?

lets see,

#2 Andres Segovia

#3 Jerry Garcia

#4 Eric Johnson

yep #5 Lerxst

#6 Ty Tabor (king's x)

#7 chet atkins or dickey betts

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Aug 23 2006, 05:40 PM)
The satchman, Joe Satriani. I think he's the best guitarist out there. He's taught a lot of the popular guitarists out there in the music business.

Joe Satriani Official Website: http://www.satriani.com

Satriani is a great guitarist and I love his first three albums, I've been listening to him off an on for 20 years now but I didn't list him above because after those first three albums, starting with The Extremist, he's never really impressed me with his subsequent albums, though I bought Joe Satriani (blues experiment), Crystal Planet, Engines of Creation (techno experiments) and Strange Beautiful Music. The trouble is I stopped listening to each one of these after about a half dozen spins. There's always one or two decent tunes but that's not enough for albums with 11 or 12 tracks or more...

I haven't bought the last two but I listened to Supercolossus via the podcast on his website earlier this year, track by track leading up to the release date and I only really liked one song. It's not that the other tracks were bad, they just seemed the same old Satch formula that I'd heard so many times before.

Like I said I still think Joe is a great guitarist but there's just too many other people I'd rather listen to these days to include him anymore...

However if he comes up with a really different and impressive album in the future I'll certainly look him up again, he's still worth keeping an eye on...

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Aug 23 2006, 09:32 PM)
Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers of  Iron Maiden.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Oh Yessss

Edited by Natural Rush

David Gilmour(hands down king of the right handed Stratocaster players)

Jimmy Page(king of the Les Paul)

Brian May

Alex Lifeson

Hendrix sadly became a parody of himself. 1969 and 1970 his playing was sloppy and the drugs were killing him!

Mike Oldfield

Alex Lifeson

Jimmy Page

Mark Knopfler

Robert Johnson

Brian May

Richard Thompson

The Edge

Johnny Marr

Glenn Phillips

David Gilmour

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 27 2006, 04:47 PM)
I'm ready for the ridicule, but despite his shortcomings as a songwriter, Peter Frampton is a hell of a guitarist.

Oh crap.

I forgot about Frampton. He's really good. he is master of the speechbox.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Aug 28 2006, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 27 2006, 04:47 PM)
I'm ready for the ridicule, but despite his shortcomings as a songwriter, Peter Frampton is a hell of a guitarist.

Oh crap.

I forgot about Frampton. He's really good. he is master of the speechbox.

Do you mean talk box?