Definitive albums in your life

The Beatles - The Beatles

It's the album that pushed my musical expectations to a high standard. At a young age it's the album that entertained me, surprised me, challenged me and scared me. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, life goes on to black cloud crossed my mind, blue mist round my soul, feel so sucidal, even hate my rock and roll... wow.

Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits

It holds together like a proper album to my ears. it was in the house, so I listened to it. And loved it.

Rush - Moving Pictures

It had everything for the 14 year old version of me. And it still does for the middle-aged version. I never tire of listening to it.

R.E.M. - Murmur

I grew up with the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, music that was always there, and I was a few years too young for punk. For the first time I felt a band and an album was MINE.

The Clash - London Calling

Holy shit. They are just as good as what came before them. I think this is the greatest rock and roll album of all-time.

Prince - Purple Rain

None of my friends would listen to it. It's a shame. Prince can do it all. It basically introduced me to black music and artists. It wasn't just Jimi Hendrix anymore.

The Replacements - Let It Be

It's pretty much all I listened to between high school and college. It was fun and it was snotty. My punk rock album.

Brian Eno - Another Green World

The sounds are all that matters. It's an album that makes me feel worried and content at the same time.

Nirvana - Nevermind

It never lets up and it re-confirmed everything I liked about rock music.

Beck - Odelay

It's almost like the White Album of the 90's. It has a little bit of everything that was going on at the time of its release.

• Like 1

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Who - Quadrophenia

Pink Floyd - Animals

Led Zeppelin - III

Rainbow - Rising

Styx - The Grand Illusion

Sparks - Kimono My House

VDGG - Still Life

Scorpions - Taken By Force

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Kingston Wall - II

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

Anathema - Judgement

and a lot more, especially :rush:

In order of appearance in my life:

American Idiot by Green Day: First album that I really wanted from the first band that I really liked. Still holds strong today

Gold by Rush: First Rush Album that I got into (I got Snakes and Arrows Live before this but it did not quite hook me). Played both discs numerous times

A Farewell To Kings by Rush: First Studio Album that hit me hard (Moving Pictures was the only one before it, and it was good). The Lineup of tracks, the artwork, the whole package, made me repeat getting American Idiot all over again

Power Windows by Rush: My Favorite Album, my most anticipated Rush album to get for Christmas, I loved the three tracks I had heard previously on Gold more than anything else, and therefore had high expectations, and it did not disappoint. It took forever to listen to another CD after this one. It was on constant repeat. This is the only album I own that I cannot skip a single track over (exception for when the tracks come up on shuffle)

The Age of Plastic by The Buggles: First non-Rush album I wanted after getting into Rush (along with Asia’s debut). This one really expanded my horizons on electronic music as well as dystopian themes.

20th Century Masters by Oingo Boingo: This one was exciting as it was the first band I got into after Rush. They were fairly obscure, so I was unsurprisingly disappointed not finding any of their albums at my local cd store, when this caught my eye as I was about to leave empty handed. I was so excited to have just randomly seen it, as well as finding it having all 3 of my (at the time) favorite songs by them. This was played so consistently until getting one of their studio albums, just because I was excited to get a bit of a break from Rush (after 3 years of pretty much solid devotion)

Dead Man’s Party by Oingo Boingo: More of the same from above; stoked.

Clockwork Angels by Rush: First new Rush album to come out since I became a fan, all the hype was crazy for me, and it was like Christmas for me when I finally got it.

Boingo by Oingo Boingo: An album I was hesitant to get when first getting into Oingo Boingo, as it was far and away in sound and style from their other seven albums. But as I got into the individual tracks, and as it turns out…Masterpiece! Easily their best work, and one of their rarest to get on CD.

All Things Bright and Beautiful by Owl City: My first album by Owl City, an artist I could not believe I was getting into due to his pop status, but I connected with his music so much, and this album was no exception. I loved how much I was expanding my tastes with this album, as well as my continuing growth of love for electronic music.

Ocean Eyes by Owl City: It was an album that I listened to for the first time as I moved away for university. Nothing more, just a great album for a great moment in life.

The Midsummer Station by Owl City: An album I hated at first because it sounded like bland pop from an artist I was just committing to, but it grew on me tremendously. Taught me that there can be good found in anything (don’t judge a book by its cover etc.)

Maybe I’m Dreaming by Owl City: Another album I really wanted, and probably the one album I connect with the most on a personal level.

Nanobots by They Might Be Giants: My first Impulse purchase. I had only heard of TMBG for Two Weeks, but was already majorly impressed by them. So I went to pick up their most popular album, but just like Oingo Boingo, they were not mainstream enough to keep a ready supply of their discography. All that was available was Nanobots, their most recent, month old album. I knew absolutely ZERO songs off of it. But in a split decision, I decided I would take a shot, and it did not disappoint.

21st Century Breakdown by Green Day: My first revisit to the band after a long rest from them. I instantly remembered why I liked them so much, and kind of kicked myself for abandoning them for so long.

Join Us by They Might Be Giants: My favorite of theirs (so far). Can’t really explain this one, but I could not last without it now.

Random Access Memories by Daft Punk: First album recommended to me by someone else. My cousin played it constantly over the summer, and it grew and grew on my, till I had to pick it up. Again more electronic influence to gain for me.

Anticipating Clockwork Angels Live to be added to the list for it being the first tour I saw where I did not know the Setlist and have them play half of my favorite album.

So many albums I love but I'll limit to those that feel like they were made for me. In no particular order:

RUSH -- A Farewell to Kings (mainly b/c of Xanadu) and Hemispheres; maybe I would have been a more normal jr. high kid if I hadn't spent so much time listening to these albums.

WIRE -- 154 and Change Becomes Us (the definitive post-punk/art-punk classic now joined by its just-as-amazing sequel; Radiohead's been called "Punk Floyd," but Wire carried the title first)

TONES ON TAIL -- The Album Pop (while this has many elements that make great albums from the '80s sound dated, the opening bars of Twist still hypnotize me, and Rain is still amazing)

THE CHURCH -- After Everything Now This (with its b-sides from Parallel Universe, a moody, atmospheric Floyd-esque collection)

THE JAZZ BUTCHER -- The Cult of the Basement (the best band no one's heard of; check out Mr. Odd)

CINERAMA -- Torino (produced by Steve Albini, to great effect; check out Starry Eyed and Quick, Before it Melts)

(And albums which need no introduction:)

RADIOHEAD -- OK Computer

MY BLOODY VALENTINE -- Loveless

NIRVANA -- Nevermind

Jeez.....I can write a novel on this.

But i will list some of the most improtant albums for me over the course of my life, playing music, living, exploring....etc etc.

1) Kiss Alive - This is the album that started my rock n roll life. This is the album that struck the first nerve....that rock music was my path. A timeless classic....and yes although greatly enhanced in the studio....it is as fresh and exciting today as it was the first time I dropped the needle and heard Deuce for the first time.

2) Moving Pictures - Being 11 years old.....I remember the first time I heard Red Barchetta.....my life changed forever. Litterally perfection front to back. After hearing my very first Rush album I knew at that very moment....I wanted a guitar in my hands....all the time.

3) 2112 - So MP started it......but 2112 cemented it. My camp counsler in 1983 (still friends to this day) asked me what kind of music I like. I told him I love Rush....but all I had was MP, Exit Stage Left and Signals. He brought me his vinyl of 2112 and Hemispheres......woha. Things had really taken off from the moment on.

4) Van Halen 1 & 2 - Eddie.....nuff said.

5) Holy Diver - Ronnie James Dio. Brilliant. The best true metal vocalist IMO in hard rock history. Magical visiual lyrics, sizzling guitar riffs.....this album is metal perfection.

6) Billzzard of Oz - Randy Rhoades......Ozzy's first forray as a solo artist. So many great tracks on this album

7) Led Zeppelin - Name an album.....it does not matter. They are all amazing. But if I had to pick 3 it would be II, IV, and Physical Grafitti. Pure brilliance.

8) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. David Gilmore is my second favorite guitarist of all time (my holy trinity is Lifeson, Gilmore, Page). Those 2 albums have given me a lifetime of inspiration along with Page and Lifesons vast catalog of brilliance.

9) U2 - Achtung Baby - For me this was their most ambitious....and quite frankly best album ever. I know The Joshua Tree and The Unforgetable Fire get most of the praise from their legion of fans.....but for me as an artist and aspiring musician at the time of this albums release.....I was in awe of it's sonic pagentary. The Edge delievers his greatest guitar playing IMO. The errie room (A german Mess hall) that it was recorded in also has just a profound effect on the final product) Oh......and the songs...not a weak track to be had. back to front this is U2's crowning jewal IMO. And for Bono....by far his best vocal performance.

10) Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring/DeadWing/InAbsenstia - this collection of flawless progresive rock by IMO the best band in the world...right now...at this moment (please come together again and make more music) had a massive influence on me in the later years of my life. Steven Wilson is a monster. This band is truly magical live and are doing what really....no one else dares to do anymore. Write exciting, immediate and current songs with incredible playing, sonic brilliance, and not a care in the world what anyone else thinks.

11) The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony/Amorica - these two albums (the second and third for this southern rock band) are amazing records. Some of the very best southern rock you will ever hear.

12) Live - The Distance - A band that is no more......but man did they bring it.

13) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations - pure power. An amazing trio who is even better live. I love all their stuff....but this album really kick started it for me.

14) Temple of the Dog - One of the best albums ever made.

15) Pearl Jam Ten - Pure perfection. They never came close or approached the magic, power and urgency that this collection of songs gave us. I wore this out on cassette back in the day......it is an album I can always play and rock out too. True perfection.

16) Queensrhyce - Operation Mindcrime - truly thinking mans art metal. This album is a true testament to outstanding playing, awesome visual lyrics and a bleak take on the future. It never get's old. I can always listen to this album.

I am sure I can list 20 more......but this is enough for now.

• Like 1

So many albums I love but I'll limit to those that feel like they were made for me. In no particular order:

RUSH -- A Farewell to Kings (mainly b/c of Xanadu) and Hemispheres; maybe I would have been a more normal jr. high kid if I hadn't spent so much time listening to these albums.

WIRE -- 154 and Change Becomes Us (the definitive post-punk/art-punk classic now joined by its just-as-amazing sequel; Radiohead's been called "Punk Floyd," but Wire carried the title first)

TONES ON TAIL -- The Album Pop (while this has many elements that make great albums from the '80s sound dated, the opening bars of Twist still hypnotize me, and Rain is still amazing)

THE CHURCH -- After Everything Now This (with its b-sides from Parallel Universe, a moody, atmospheric Floyd-esque collection)

THE JAZZ BUTCHER -- The Cult of the Basement (the best band no one's heard of; check out Mr. Odd)

CINERAMA -- Torino (produced by Steve Albini, to great effect; check out Starry Eyed and Quick, Before it Melts)

(And albums which need no introduction:)

RADIOHEAD -- OK Computer

MY BLOODY VALENTINE -- Loveless

NIRVANA -- Nevermind

I forgot to add a Wire album to my list. In fact, I might have to make another list.

For years Wire and The Beatles were the the unassailable bands at the top of (my) pyramid; nothing else was remotely close, as much as I loved many other bands. Colin Newman was/is the John Lennon of post/art-punk (with apologies to Howard DeVoto, Mark Smith, Joe Strummer, etc). I had all the singles and offshoots/solo projects. I still have old cassette mixes that were made up of alternating groups of Beatles and Wire songs (early Beatles mixed with early Wire; psychedelic Beatles mixed with '80s Wire and offshoots). Then OK Computer arrived and since my favorites have been comprised of the trinity of Beatles, Wire, and Radiohead, just as classic Rush, Zeppelin and early Aerosmith made of the trinity of my youth.
  • Like 1

For years Wire and The Beatles were the the unassailable bands at the top of (my) pyramid; nothing else was remotely close, as much as I loved many other bands. Colin Newman was/is the John Lennon of post/art-punk (with apologies to Howard DeVoto, Mark Smith, Joe Strummer, etc). I had all the singles and offshoots/solo projects. I still have old cassette mixes that were made up of alternating groups of Beatles and Wire songs (early Beatles mixed with early Wire; psychedelic Beatles mixed with '80s Wire and offshoots). Then OK Computer arrived and since my favorites have been comprised of the trinity of Beatles, Wire, and Radiohead, just as classic Rush, Zeppelin and early Aerosmith made of the trinity of my youth.

It's nice to find a mutual Colin Newman fan. I love his solo albums. Commercial Suicide belongs on my list, it's so sparse and ethereal. He's a big Beatles fan, by the way.

It's nice to find a mutual Colin Newman fan. I love his solo albums. Commercial Suicide belongs on my list, it's so sparse and ethereal. He's a big Beatles fan, by the way.

I love all his solo stuff (incl Githead) but I agree that Commercial Suicide is special. As well, apart from the music, he seems like such a gentleman. An odd compliment in the world of pop music, but true all the same. And Malka Spigel has it all over Yoko (of course).

Speaking of Malka, I had even collected the stuff he produced, like Minimal Compact and The Virgin Prunes.

Going by the post's original definition of 'definitive' as being 'flawless, timeless, yadda, yadda'...

Moving Pictures -Rush

Hemispheres -Rush

2112 -Rush

Master Of Puppets -Metallica

Ride The Lightning -Metallica

Live After Death -Iron Maiden

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son -Iron Maiden

The Number Of The Beast -Iron Maiden

Reign In Blood -Slayer

Blizzard Of Oz -Ozzy Osbourne

KISS Alive!

Ace Frehley '78 Solo Album

Van Halen I

Fair Warning -Van Halen

Are You Experienced? -The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Paranoid -Black Sabbath

Tempo Of The Damned -Exodus

Shout At The Devil -Motley Crue

Led Zeppelin IV

The Hunter -Mastodon

Surfing With The Alien -Joe Satriani

Danzig I

Highway To Hell -AC/DC

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

Lacuna Coil -

Karmacode

Unleashed Memories

Comalies

Khoma-

The Second Wave

Fleetwood Mac -

Tusk

ABBA-

The Visitors

The Beatles-

Rubber Soul

Help!

Nightwish-

Dark Passion Play

Miles Davis-

Kind Of Blue

Sketches Of Spain

Toto-

Fahrenheit

Rush-

Clockwork Angels

Moving Pictures

Jimmy Eat World-

Clarity

Mineral-

End Serenading

Alter Bridge-

ABIII

These are my albums, my timeless albums. They are signposts, lanterns in the dark, places I can visit to check in with myself and figure out where I'm at, when I'm lost. Albums of which I will not tire. My cornerstone albums. Not necessarily the albums I consider "Greatest Albums of All Time," but the albums that resonate with me in a particular way that I can't always explain.

Yes - Close to the Edge

Genesis - Foxtrot

Rush - Signals

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

The Black Crowes - Amorica

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Pink Floyd - Animals

Richard Buckner - Devotion and Doubt

The Who - Quadrophenia

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Graham Nash - Songs for Beginners

Idaho - Hearts of Palm

Jackson Browne - The Pretender

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

Magnolia Electric Company

• Like 1

These are my albums, my timeless albums. They are signposts, lanterns in the dark, places I can visit to check in with myself and figure out where I'm at, when I'm lost. Albums of which I will not tire. My cornerstone albums. Not necessarily the albums I consider "Greatest Albums of All Time," but the albums that resonate with me in a particular way that I can't always explain.

Yes - Close to the Edge

Genesis - Foxtrot

Rush - Signals

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

The Black Crowes - Amorica

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Pink Floyd - Animals

Richard Buckner - Devotion and Doubt

The Who - Quadrophenia

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Graham Nash - Songs for Beginners

Idaho - Hearts of Palm

Jackson Browne - The Pretender

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

Magnolia Electric Company

Very nice list.

I wonder if I know you from any of the Crowes forums over the years. I've wondered that about a couple of other people on TRF as well. (In your case, the Marc Ford avatar was the biggest clue).

I will post my own list in this thread when I have a bit more time. Gotta run for now!

The Who - Quadrophenia

- I dont think any other album I have owned has connected to me as much this one has, this album was me. I probably have listened to this album more times then any other, and will still continue to years from now even after I outgrow other bands.

I think this surmises my thoughts exactly. No other album has defined me as Quadrophenia, ever.

Other pieces of the puzzle:

I've already talked about Burattino senza Fili by Edoardo Bennato, but it's definitely my first ever great album. I was 7 years old and asked my mother to buy me this, and the shop owner went: "He's only SEVEN? And he likes music this serious?". I still can listen to it today and still enjoy it, it's not something anyone can do.

Living in the Past by Jethro Tull was my most-loved Tull album.

Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention made my love for British folk a constant in my life (and opened the door to Pentangle and others).

We sold our soul for rock and roll by Black Sabbath is the album that made me a metalhead.

Vapor Trails by Rush. I didn't expect to "need" an album by the time I turned 32, but still this album came and became my "friend" through a perilious time.

But still, Quadrophenia beats everything else.

The Who - Live at Leeds ( I've probably played this album, 8-track, cassette, CD ) more than any album --- My A # 1 album of all time.

Yes - Fragile : the album I was listening to when I first got high - ah, great memories

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality : I remember buying this album with my friend the day it came out and his mother told him to return it because it was devil music

The Who - Who's Next : enough said

Pink Floyd - DSOTM : didn't everybody own this one ?

Pink Floyd - Meddle : high school ski trip, walked into a room with Meddle playing. I'm a PF fan right then and there.

Genesis - Selling England By the Pound - New Year's Eve Party 1974, a few close friends at her parent's condo in NY state, a nice dinner and my first time trying LSD

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick : another album that was constantly on my turntable during my high school years.

Alice Cooper - Schools Out : We played this 8-track as we piled into my friend's firebird to go out to high school senior lunch.

Aerosmith - Rocks : working the overnight shift ( summer college job ) the year this album came out. I would to blast this 8-track on the ride home to keep me awake

Led Zep - I -> Presence : got me through high school and college

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Trilogy : another album that was constantly on my turntable during my high school years.

Rush - Fly by Night : where it all started for me

The Beatles - Rubber Soul : Started playing guitar when this album came out

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers : High school party at my friends house when her parents were on vacation... and danced and danced and danced to Brown Sugar and Bitch

The Doors - First album : spent the entire summer in TENN with my cousins the year that came out and played it all of the time

The Rolling Stones - High Tide and Green Grass : The Last Time !!!

The Moody Blues - early albums : my sister is older than me and she would to play them all of the time

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

The Who - Live at Leeds ( I've probably played this album, 8-track, cassette, CD ) more than any album --- My A # 1 album of all time.

Yes - Fragile : the album I was listening to when I first got high - ah, great memories

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality : I remember buying this album with my friend the day it came out and his mother told him to return it because it was devil music

The Who - Who's Next : enough said

Pink Floyd - DSOTM : didn't everybody own this one ?

Pink Floyd - Meddle : high school ski trip, walked into a room with Meddle playing. I'm a PF fan right then and there.

Genesis - Selling England By the Pound - New Year's Eve Party 1974, a few close friends at her parent's condo in NY state, a nice dinner and my first time trying LSD

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick : another album that was constantly on my turntable during my high school years.

Alice Cooper - Schools Out : We played this 8-track as we piled into my friend's firebird to go out to high school senior lunch.

Aerosmith - Rocks : working the overnight shift ( summer college job ) the year this album came out. I would to blast this 8-track on the ride home to keep me awake

Led Zep - I -> Presence : got me through high school and college

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Trilogy : another album that was constantly on my turntable during my high school years.

Rush - Fly by Night : where it all started for me

The Beatles - Rubber Soul : Started playing guitar when this album came out

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers : High school party at my friends house when her parents were on vacation... and danced and danced and danced to Brown Sugar and Bitch

The Doors - First album : spent the entire summer in TENN with my cousins the year that came out and played it all of the time

The Rolling Stones - High Tide and Green Grass : The Last Time !!!

The Moody Blues - early albums : my sister is older than me and she would to play them all of the time

Very cool list. I especially appreciate your notes on each entry. I wanted to do the same, but figured I wouldn't be able to prevent myself from getting carried away.

I'm finally getting into The Doors for the first time. The remarkable When You're Strange documentary has everything to do with this. I used to dismiss them as sort of a 60s equivalent of U2 in that they were an undeniably talented and original group that was held back at times by an insufferable frontman with dubious talent. Oddly enough, I actually adore U2, and in fact have drawn upon my appreciation of them as a way to get over my borderline contempt for The Doors. I always thought Krieger and Manzarek were cool. But now I am beginning to understand Densmore's contribution and unique approach as a jazz drummer playing in a rock band. And I'm actually beginning to understand that Morrison wasn't quite the buffoon that he's often made out to be. Rather, he was much more a corporeal manifestation of the 60s ethos, love him or hate him. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with my musings on the Doors, so I'll wrap it up.

Strong Persuader- Robert Cray

Powerage- AC/DC

Heaven Tonight- Cheap Trick

Grace Under Pressure- Rush

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap- AC/DC

Fire Of unknown Origin- Blue Oyster Cult

Don't Break The Oath- Mercyful Fate

....I'm sure there are many others :)

My earlier list reflected those albums I keep returning to but the other part of the question was what albums do you consider practically flawless. In my case they're not the same list, though there's some overlap. My very short list (I guess the bands I like are usually flawed) of flawless albums would be:

Teenage Flanclub Bandwagonesqe

Led Zeppelin IV

Nirvana Nevermind

MBV Loveless

Aerosmith Rocks

Rush Hemispheres

Wire's 154 and Change Becomes Us

And The Beatles Abbey Road, though Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus's Garden arguably might disqualify it, but I'll let it slide as most other people seem to think they're fine.

OK Computer didn't make the list as I think the second side, though excellent by most any other standard, does not hold up nearly as as well as the 1st side, which is probably my favorite side of music, along with the 2nd side of Hemispheres.

And The Beatles Abbey Road, though Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus's Garden arguably might disqualify it, but I'll let it slide as most other people seem to think they're fine.

Here's my wish regarding Abbey Road - keep either "Octopus's Garden" or a Ringo version of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", one of them has to go, and replace the dropped song with a George song, preferably a Beatles version of "Wah-Wah". One can dream...

Although I gave a lengthy list, I will explain briefly my two favourites:

Karmacode- Lacuna Coil. I bought this the day it came out back in 2006, and disliked it for months. Then it grew on me, and everything about this album is perfectly suited to my tastes, thoughts, feelings and emotions. Cristina Scabbia is by far my favourite singer of all time, and this album showcases her breathtaking range to the full! And Andrea Ferro, the bands male vocalist, also gives a stunning perfomance throughout this albums thirteen songs. The lyrics are cryptic, but deep and meaningful and I just love the warm production and the arabic influences. Lacuna Coil are my favourite band, because they make me feel. I just connect with them, and this album feels like my heart, my blood in music form. Its funny because when I hear people talk about their favourite album, I always sense look down on me for this choice. Whatever anyone's opinion, regardless of this albums nu-metal influences (greatly exaggerated by the bands old-school fans), this is the greatest work of art I have ever heard in my life! No on can convince me otherwise. This album is everything to me! If this was all I could ever hear for the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain.

The Second Wave- Khoma. Another album from 2006, ignore the link of the year date, as this album took a couple of years to establish itself as a real favourite. In my affections, only Karmacode tops this. I can't explain my love for this album, its too strong, but Khoma are a unique Swedish band formed of members of Cult Of Luna amongst other well known bands, but the music bears more in common with indie/shoegaze. Flawless melodies, experimental musicianship and absolutely beautiful lyrics make this my second favourite album. But in all honesty, the bands entire output gets full marks from me! When people tell me how amazing Radiohead and Muse are, I always wonder if the sounds they have in their head actually sound like how this feels to me. I love this album so much!

Yes - Yessongs, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge

Rush - 2112, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, ESL

Genesis - Three Sides Live, Duke

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, Red

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet

SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather, Texas Flood

Joe Bonamassa - Live from Nowhere In Particular, The Ballad of John Henry, A New Day Yesterday Live

Black Country Communion - Black Country, 2

Opeth - Watershed

Danny Gatton - 88 Elmira Street

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

Tool -- Undertow, Aenima

Rush -- Caress of Steel, Moving Pictures

Nirvana -- Nevermind

Aerosmith -- Permanent Vacation, Rocks, Toys in the Attic

Yes -- Fragile, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album

Failure -- Comfort

Alice in Chains -- Dirt, Alice in Chains

Helmet -- Meantime, Size Matters

Jethro Tull -- Benefit, Heavy Horses

Rage Against the Machine -- Rage Against the Machine

Here's my wish regarding Abbey Road - keep either "Octopus's Garden" or a Ringo version of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", one of them has to go, and replace the dropped song with a George song, preferably a Beatles version of "Wah-Wah". One can dream...

I have a similar fantasy about Wire's Send. If they had left out Nice Streets Above and Read & Burn (each too atonal industrial for my taste), and instead included I Don't Understand and Trash/Treasure (and thrown in Germ Ship to bring it up to a cassette-friendly 45 minutes -- I've always thought that every proper album should be between 42 and 45 minutes),Send would be a flawless album and a classic, as opposed to a very strong but flawed album. Of course it would have been better as well if they hadn't previewed all those song with the EPs, but little matter.