Country

BenMink

Allison Krauss

I first heard here when she did a song with Phish, since then I bought her albums and saw her in concert. One of the best shows I have ever seen and going to her show is completely different from any other concert. All the music was right on, didnt miss a beat, voice never wavered. Amazing singer. Plus shes from Champaign Illinois!

Other then that I dont like it at all. I can only listen to Country if I am at a Family get together and everyone is drinking. laugh.gif

Anyone heard "Alcohol", funny arse song!

The Outlaws are about as Country as i get

I really like Carrie Underwood, specifically "Just a Dream".

But I honestly don't know much about the genre, except that what I've heard I haven't liked all that much. It's all right -- I'll listen to it because some of my friends really enjoy it.

My parents like country, both old and new, so I grew up listening to it. I don't go out of my way to listen to country, but if its playing on the radio I won't complain.

Southern rock, on the other hand is not country at all, yet people still categorize it as such. Lynyrd Skynyrd (my first favorite band), Allman Brothers Band, The Outlaws, etc are all great.

QUOTE (tailwind @ Jul 22 2006, 01:55 PM)
The "Silver Fox". CHARLIE RICH.
The BEHIND CLOSED DOORS album.
This is an album that you play all the way through.
His two biggest songs are on this album:
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, and THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD.
I like Charlie's voice over anybody in Country. He truly wore his heart on his sleeve, and you can hear it in his voice.
I'll take his voice over ELVIS' any day!

Another album like that is Ray Price's 'Night Life'.

I listen to country, new and old.

I am really digging Miranda Lambert as of late. I Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and want Revolution (don't have her first album, the one with Kerosene)

Whoever mentioned Brad Paisley, I agree with what you said. Great guitart player and songwriter.

I used to listen to country in 5th-7th grades, when I wanted to listen to something besides Rush, but I never really kept listening to any. The only country I listen to with any regularity is Big & Rich, and I still don't listen to them that much.

I saw Willie Nelson open for Dylan. He was great. My mom was a big fan. I heard a ton of Waylon Jennings, Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, and Hank Williams growing up. Hated it then...

It was odd to see this post because I've just started to look into those songs again. The only person I always listened to was Cash, who I like a lot.

Also, the Dead covered some songs from that era...which kept me semi-connected in the early nineties. Anyway, I haven't picked anything up yet...but I might real soon.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 22 2006, 08:03 PM)

Country is hit or miss, not all country is crap like Rascal Flatts or the Dixie Chicks.

Dixie Chicks have more of a traditional country(folk,bluegrass) sound then most of the popular modern"crap" on the radio.... And besides the Chicks STILL not embraced by the country community because of the "incident"..

eyesre4.gif

Love old country, George Jones, Jim Reeves, Hank Snow, Marty Robbins, the great Patsy Cline, Of course the music of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash,Loretta Lynn, Charlie Pride. Others just can't think of right now. smile.gif

I always say there's only two kinds of music. good and bad.

with that said, Johhny Cash's folsom prison album is awesome. kinda cool how he talks to the prisoners like friends and also kinda pokes fun at the guards.

Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings I like too. Garth Brooks was kind of a guilty pleasure for a while. (but don't tell anyone! tongue.gif )

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 12 2011, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 22 2006, 08:03 PM)

Country is hit or miss, not all country is crap like Rascal Flatts or the Dixie Chicks.

Dixie Chicks have more of a traditional country(folk,bluegrass) sound then most of the popular modern"crap" on the radio.... And besides the Chicks STILL not embraced by the country community because of the "incident"..

eyesre4.gif

Love old country, George Jones, Jim Reeves, Hank Snow, Marty Robbins, the great Patsy Cline, Of course the music of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash,Loretta Lynn, Charlie Pride. Others just can't think of right now. smile.gif

I think the dixie chicks started as a bluegrass band called the dixie chickens..

I like a little bit of country. But not too much, too much country is bad for your health. LOL.gif

But here's artists I DO like all around:

Johnny Cash

Willie Nelson

Garth Brooks

Kenny Chesney

Shania Twain

Toby Keith

Zac Brown Band

Then there's some artists that I like only a couple of their songs:

Brooks and Dunn

Big & Rich

Tim McGraw (like him more as an actor)