Why no love for Roll the Bones????

Holdyourfireal

QUOTE (powermetal warrior @ Jun 22 2006, 12:48 AM)
i wood have to say the best  2.gif  cd in years is Test for Echo !!! just listion it!! that all i have 2 say!!

I agree 100%.. I'm afraid we aren't going to have very many supporters though.

I like Roll The Bones. There isn't a song on there that I dislike, though Dreamline, Bravado and that 'we didn't start the fire-Billy Joel' bit on You Bet Your Life are my least favorite things on Bones.

Most of the bashed tracks... the title track, Face Up, Neurotica and Ghost Of A Chance are my favorites.

I feel the same way about Presto. To me, they are about even. I can listen to both of them straight through. My favorites are Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Red Tide, Hand Over Fist and ESPECIALLY Chain Lightning...even though Alex sounds like he's soloing with a broken hand (yes, I know it's being played backwards).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jun 22 2006, 12:39 AM)
CP was the best album Rush did IMHO since GUP, other than PoW.

Floyd Fanatic, you made a mistake in your post.. so I corrected if for you. The correction is in italics...

tongue.gif

RtB isn't a bad album in my opinion. Somebody did touch on the fact that the song is played in every tour and it is dorky and dated. I agree. I would love to see that song leave the playlist for something else.

As far as the other songs - some good, some great, some not so good. I remember when Andrew McNaughton used Neurotica as the background music for parts of his RiR documentary and I realized that there was some pretty cool music riffs there although the lyrics, chorus, or something in the song as a whole just doesn't work quite right. If they would have taken the riffs that Andrew highlighted and expounded upon them they could have ended up with a really cool esoteric 80s song a'la Middletown Dreams.

The Big Wheel- I would love to hear this song live. Such power. Best song on the album.

Presto? One of their better ones but the sound is too antiseptic. Even the remaster. Some of Neil's best lyrics imho.

Scott

I'm not a fan of this album at all. The only song I like is "Dreamline". It's easily my least favorite Rush album.

I do like the cover though. It reminds me of Mortal Kombat II.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Mk2.png

QUOTE (deamhain @ Jun 22 2006, 07:02 AM)
Indeed,

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Like, I definitely think Geddy's haircut during most of the 80's was a huge embarrassment...not really important is it?

Why is my font a funny colour?

Anyway, there are opinions here that don't reflect mine but who cares? Just remember, if we were all the same the telephone directory would be rather confusing.

For what it's worth, I too prefer RtB to Presto. I also really enjoy the first album. I don't buy in to what often seems to be the attitude of "it's not Neil so it's crap". I also recognise it as what it is, an album by three young men, relying heavily on their musical influences for their sound. Another big plus is that Alex doesn't seem to have been so heavily into obscure chord voicings at that stage so the stuff is a lot easier to play! laugh.gif

anyway, there's my arsehole. My advice is not to give a flying fart what I think

I LOVE the 1st album. I think it's a lot more listenable than Fly By Night or Caress of Steel!

Al

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 22 2006, 07:21 AM)
Al, we finally agree on something. RTB is my favourite album, always has been, always will be. I think it's very solid, start to finish, I listen to every song on it and enjoy them all.

Absolutely!

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Jun 22 2006, 10:37 AM)
Ok, I forgot about You Bet Your Life....... 062802puke_prv.gif

I think that is the first and only Rush song that had totally blanked from my memory ohmy.gif

I LOVE "You Bet Your Life"! Does every Rush song have to be deadly serious? It's a fun, very different song for Rush on an album that had more variety than any other Rush album!

QUOTE (Holdyourfireal @ Jun 22 2006, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (King Rygar @ Jun 22 2006, 10:37 AM)
Ok, I forgot about You Bet Your Life.......  062802puke_prv.gif

I think that is the first and only Rush song that had totally blanked from my memory  ohmy.gif

I LOVE "You Bet Your Life"! Does every Rush song have to be deadly serious? It's a fun, very different song for Rush on an album that had more variety than any other Rush album!

I don't like it either, but not because it's fun or seriously-toned, but like Dog Years, I don't like YBYL's melody or chorus at all. But that has more to do with melody than anything to me....

Easily the worst song on RTB (yeah, even over the rap portion of the title track, which I enjoy).

Is it the "nerdy" rapping thing he has going on during the chorus? its like something somethingsomething somethingsomething somethingYOU BET YOURLIFEsomething somethingsomething somethingsomething something you bet you liiiifesomething somethingsomething somethingsomething something you bet. your. life??? is it??!?

You know...I think the Roll The Bones rap section was meant to be "funny". I don't think Geddy & the boys ever thought they were truely competing with all the "wonderful" rap artists in the world. Too many folks take this song way too seriously, like Rush slapped them in the face. They are dorks! Very successful & talented dorks, but dorks none the less. This is their dorky humor. I think it's almost become "cool" to bash the song Roll the Bones just because everyone else does! Personally, I think it's their kick-ass Tom Sawyer song of the 90s!

Al

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 22 2006, 11:35 AM)
I'm not a fan of this album at all. The only song I like is "Dreamline". It's easily my least favorite Rush album.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

GET OVER HERE!!!!

FATALITY

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Jun 22 2006, 12:28 PM)
Is it the "nerdy" rapping thing he has going on during the chorus? its like something somethingsomething somethingsomething somethingYOU BET YOURLIFEsomething somethingsomething somethingsomething something you bet you liiiifesomething somethingsomething somethingsomething something you bet. your. life??? is it??!?

Yeah, the part that was "inspired" by or "borrowed" from Billy Joel's "We didn't Start The Fire"... It's always nice to hear Rush incorporating outside influences into their music, but that part has never sat well with me. It's maybe a tad too obvious, for me.

I've always liked RTB and Presto. Like many Rush albums every single song doesn't "do it" for me, but overall I like the albums.

As a complete album, Signals is one of my least favorites. I clearly remember when this came out - had the same feeling then as I do now. Probably the heavy keyboards (overshadowing the guitar), but a big part is probably just the time it came out.

It was my senior year of high school and I had gone through a lot of musical changes (lot of heavy metal and early punk). The heavy synth just didn't do it for me. But since I'm diehard Rush fan I can still listen and enjoy the album, just not my fav.

For fans of the early Quake games... I used to create maps (mainly for Capture The Flag). I used to name my maps after Rush songs and one of my popular maps was Roll The Bones. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was going to start a similar thread to find all of the RTB fans on this board.

My current desktop wallpaper is the cover of RTB.

I love RTB. Dreamline, RTB and Bravado are the best tracks on it. But the rest of the album is awesome too. Very easy to listen to this album.

But I also like Presto, which gets too much hate 'round these parts.

QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Jun 22 2006, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 22 2006, 11:35 AM)

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

GET OVER HERE!!!!

FATALITY

1022.gif

The best part about that stage was when you knocked your opponent into the acid, his skull comes back up and looks like it's smiling. RIP arcades *teardrop*

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jun 22 2006, 01:39 AM)
Counterparts actually outcharted RTB. RTB is a good album but Face Up and Neurotica were the worst lyrics Neil ever wrote. CP was the best album Rush did IMHO since GUP.

Let's see what Wikipedia says about this:

September 1991 Roll the Bones Atlantic 3 P

October 1993 Counterparts Atlantic 2 G

RTB went Platinum, Counterparts only went gold.

But "not so coldly charted, it's really just a question of your honesty, yeah, your honesty"

I've only heard RTB once (on Napster) and Counterparts about 20 times, so that's probably why I prefer Counterparts... But I really love that Roll The Bones video, you can't beat the skeleton.

The album Roll the Bones actually squelched me being a fan for a couple of years.

Presto to me was a step downwards lyrically from everything that came before, so I was already a good bit saddened that Rush made an album I only thought was only "ok" as it had never happened before.

When RTB came out, the first thing I heard was the title song, and one I heard the rap section, that was it with me and Rush for awhile. I listened to their older stuff sometimes, but I honestly thought they had tragically lost it and tried to pick up the pieces and move on. It wasn't until YEARS later that I found out the rap part was supposed to be a joke, but even then I still couldn't listen to that part of that song without cringing horribly. I didn't even buy the album, the only Rush album I never bought almost immediately after it came out since 1982.

Counterparts turned it around for me as by then I was willing to give them another chance and I LOVED that album. I missed the keyboards like crazy, but it was so good and so different that I couldn't help but love it anyway. I eventually got RTB and I think it's patchy - some great songs, some good, some bad, but it was that song and that album that actually turned me off to them for a couple of years.

I think RTB is easily the band's weakest, but it's not really a truly bad album by any means. It does have some songs I love. Dreamline is great, Bravado is great, Roll the Bones I still really like (even the rap section, Al is right and it's not meant to be taken as a serious attempt to do rap). Ghost of a Chance is probably the best song they released in the 90s, and one of their best ever.

So what does that leave us with?

Face Up is one of the all-time worst Rush songs. Terrible lyrics, and unmemorable music. Neurotica has an interesting prechorus riff (you know the one I'm talking about), and some interesting little things going on, but it doesn't hold together really well...and Geddy's "ohhhhoohhhhhoooohhhhh" thing is pretty terrible. You Bet Your Life has grown on me a little bit but the "armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexistentialist" crap in the chorus gets old.

Heresy is cool until you get to the "do we have to be forgiving at last" part, where it just switches musically to what I like to call a "Rush-by-numbers" mode. That chorus could have come out of any song on Presto or HYF, and it doesn't at all fit with the rest of the song.

The Big Wheel is a song that really hits upon why I don't like this album that much...I get the feeling that with this song (and a lot of others on the album too) they were really just trying to write more commercial songs to get airplay. It's just sort of bland and poppy and would probably sound right at home on an adult-contemporary radio station.

Where's My Thing is a cool instrumental definitely, but it's just a case of Leave That Thing Alone doing the same thing better.

So overall, RTB isn't a BAD album at all, just an inconsistent one. However, most bands would probably love to have an album this good be their weakest offering.

Archived