Southern Rock

One word:

BLACKFOOT

They're also from Jacksonville.

Yeah I just noticed that. the announcer mentions it at the beginning of Highway Song Live. I forgot where they were from.

When I was at at uni [FSU] (a couple of hours west in Tallahassee), EVERY time I'd drive back to Jax and reach the city limits, 38 Special OR Skynard were GUARANTEED to be playing on the local rock station within 3 songs. This was a joke that a uni friend and I had when we'd ride back together. But it was always true. It always happened.

Yeah 38 Special and Molly Hatchet I thought were ok.

You should have changed channels or brought some RUSH tapes along!

The other channels were worse!

And I did always bring Rush tapes. It's just that I/we wanted to be right and laugh when the southern fried rock band was played

• Like 1

I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida where Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special are from. I had NO CHOICE but to listen to them (especially in the 70s and early 80s when their music was constantly being played on radio stations). I can't say that I enjoy Southern Rock but it is a part of me.

Holy shit that's an old post :blaze:

Is it still true?

Most of that post is fact so yeah it's undeniable. However, that last sentence is partly incorrect. I used to play billiards a lot in the late 80s-early 90s and the pool halls that I used to visit regularly played that southern fried rock stuff. At THOSE times, I liked it. Other times, it was just there. Tolerable.

So you're a Blackfoot fan then like me?? I don't really like much Southern Rock but I do like Blackfoot. They were pretty big over here in the late 70's/early 80's so maybe it's a UK thing?

Haven't listened to them since those days. And that was because they were (are?) from Jax and were inescapable. Though i was a little kid during their heyday, I was already preoccupied with Rush. They were alright though.

I think they're a bit more heavy metal than the other Southern Rock bands. :haz:

I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida where Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special are from. I had NO CHOICE but to listen to them (especially in the 70s and early 80s when their music was constantly being played on radio stations). I can't say that I enjoy Southern Rock but it is a part of me.

Is it still true?

Most of that post is fact so yeah it's undeniable. However, that last sentence is partly incorrect. I used to play billiards a lot in the late 80s-early 90s and the pool halls that I used to visit regularly played that southern fried rock stuff. At THOSE times, I liked it. Other times, it was just there. Tolerable.

So you're a Blackfoot fan then like me?? I don't really like much Southern Rock but I do like Blackfoot. They were pretty big over here in the late 70's/early 80's so maybe it's a UK thing?

Haven't listened to them since those days. And that was because they were (are?) from Jax and were inescapable. Though i was a little kid during their heyday, I was already preoccupied with Rush. They were alright though.

I think they're a bit more heavy metal than the other Southern Rock bands. :haz:

Yeah I think so. A little less southern drawl too [see also: "Yes, ahhhhh'm freeeeeeeee as a biiiiiiiird now....."]

Is it still true?

Yeah I think so. A little less southern drawl too [see also: "Yes, ahhhhh'm freeeeeeeee as a biiiiiiiird now....."]

They were always touring with metal bands too and on the big metal festival bills.

Is it still true?

They were always touring with metal bands too and on the big metal festival bills.

Don't remember them doing so in the south.

And suddenly I just remembered a non-southern rock song's lyrics...

"Last Child" by Aerosmith..."Take me back to a south Tallahasseeeeee....". THEY used to be so good when they were drug addicts.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Is it still true?

Don't remember them doing so in the south.

And suddenly I just remembered a non-southern rock song's lyrics...

"Last Child" by Aerosmith..."Take me back to a south Tallahasseeeeee....". THEY used to be so good when they were drug addicts.

In the UK that's how it always was. This isn't the most metal line-up but this was the kind of thing.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Monsters-Of-Rock-1981.jpg

One word:

BLACKFOOT

They're also from Jacksonville.

Yeah I just noticed that. the announcer mentions it at the beginning of Highway Song Live. I forgot where they were from.

Three words

BLACK OAK ARKANSAS

Fun.

I played in an Allman Brothers jam band for about three years. We had jams that lasted to two in the morning sometimes.

My memory must be f***ed. I don't remember Whitesnake in '81

Yeah well Americans didn't know about Whitesnake until about 1987 when they were having their MTV hair metal phase.

That poster for the rock festival shows that it went down 3 days before my 9th birthday. So there's that. It was around that time that I was really getting into Rush.

Skynyrd

ZZTop

Allman Bros

Black Oak Arkansas

:haz;

Yeah obviously ZZ Top. Never been that big on Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers.

Skynyrd and Allman Bros got better for me over the years, especially the latter.
  • Like 1

Skynyrd

ZZTop

Allman Bros

Black Oak Arkansas

I don't really count ZZ Top in "Southern Rock." I kind of think of Texas as separate from the south...and the rest of the U.S. ;)

Skynyrd

ZZTop

Allman Bros

Black Oak Arkansas

I don't really count ZZ Top in "Southern Rock." I kind of think of Texas as separate from the south...and the rest of the U.S. ;)

Well someone else put it so I just went along with it.

Skynyrd

ZZTop

Allman Bros

Black Oak Arkansas

Skynyrd and Allman Bros got better for me over the years, especially the latter.

Me too! Great, great bands that offer so much more that what's played on the radio.

I hate southern rock. I change the station immediately and when its played and in the local bar I go to, I cringe.

As I gaze out to the bar patrons, they are singing to each song and know every word.

The closest thing to southern rock I like is Tom Petty. But that's where it ends.

• Like 1

I hate southern rock. I change the station immediately and when its played and in the local bar I go to, I cringe.

As I gaze out to the bar patrons, they are singing to each song and know every word.

The closest thing to southern rock I like is Tom Petty. But that's where it ends.

I used to hate it, but learned to put my politics aside, ignore the lyrics and concentrate on the guitar work.
  • Like 2

I used to hate it, but learned to put my politics aside, ignore the lyrics and concentrate on the guitar work.

Some people have a hard time separating politics from music. Their loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGPpZ_6erw

• Like 3

Beast city!

• Like 1

I love Southern Rock! Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, and ZZ Top are my favorites

I have to say I do like a good bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd's catalog. I don't own any of those albums now, but I know all of the '70s stuff...there was a 3-CD box set that they released in the early 1990s that had some very early demos and previously unreleased songs that were really good.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

That's because you're an old man! :codger:

If Drive By Truckers count as Southern Rock, as well as the solo efforts of Jason Isbell, then I am a massive fan of Southern Rock.

They're from Alabama, they rock, and they rock in a southern fashion. And they are brilliant.

But they're also far to the left (like me).

I don't think politics should be relevant, but it looks like some people do not like (or do like, depending) Southern Rock because of political assumptions that aren't necessarily true.

• Like 3

If Drive By Truckers count as Southern Rock, as well as the solo efforts of Jason Isbell, then I am a massive fan of Southern Rock.

They're from Alabama, they rock, and they rock in a southern fashion. And they are brilliant.

But they're also far to the left (like me).

I don't think politics should be relevant, but it looks like some people do not like (or do like, depending) Southern Rock because of political assumptions that aren't necessarily true.

DBT are definitely Southern rock, yes. Just the modern era, versus the bands that are more closely associated with the Confederate flag...

Also check out the Truth and Salvage Company, if you've got the notion.

The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East is fantastic.

And 1970s Skynyrd is an all-time great band.

I went back and forth about whether to mention the Allmans...I like them the most than all the bands that have been mentioned here. Probably a top ten band all time, for me.

At Fillmore East is the best live rock album ever made!