Southern Rock

Some Allman brother stuff is good, but overall I'd have to say I feel about southern rock (particularly Skynyrd) the way most of you feel about hip-hop. To each his own. Edited by PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 16 2007, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 07:46 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 16 2007, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 07:35 AM)
Creedence Clearwater Revival has some good tunes. Doobie Brothers also.

I love the Doobies, but I wouldn't call them Southern Rock.

They are most definitely of the southern rock genre, and one of the more popular ones at that.

I guess they were in their early years. I'm thinking more of their Michael McDonald years, when they had his soulful voice, keyboards, and even some horns. Then they were more of an R&B/soul/soft rock band.

Michael added a "white funk" to the music. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I prefer the earlier southern style music. I think they fused a lot of different styles into their music but the southern rock was the dominant sound.

ohmy.gif John Fogerty and his dimwit brother are not from the south at all and CCR was based out of California. laugh.gif They've had people fooled for years!!!

Dude I love the Allmans, Skynard, Molly, Atlanta Rhythm Section, even some of the later Collins Rossington band. Gary Rossington is one of my favourite guitar players like ever yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 16 2007, 06:44 PM)
Some Allman brother stuff is good, but overall I'd have to say I feel about southern rock (particularly Skynyrd) the way most of you feel about hip-hop. To each his own.

Did you know Pete Townshend hand picked Skynyrd to open for the Quadrophenia tour?

I say give them another shot if you can. Theres lot to like, including suprisingly liberal lyrics.

Edited by tangdog

QUOTE (Lady April @ May 16 2007, 08:00 PM)
John Fogerty and his dimwit brother are not from the south at all and CCR was based out of California.

z7shysterical.gif

Was that the brother who supported the guy who stole thier copyrights? He died didnt he? Is it considered lazy to not go to Wili and look that up?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 09:13 AM)

They are most definitely of the southern rock genre, and one of the more popular ones at that.

I guess they were in their early years. I'm thinking more of their Michael McDonald years, when they had his soulful voice, keyboards, and even some horns. Then they were more of an R&B/soul/soft rock band.

Michael added a "white funk" to the music. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I prefer the earlier southern style music. I think they fused a lot of different styles into their music but the southern rock was the dominant sound.

For me, The Doobies died when McDonald replaced Tom Johnston. They went from southern-flavored R&B boogie rock to Top-40 soft rock. 062802puke_prv.gif

Call me the breeze by Skynyrd never fails to have me checking my speed on the road. That boogie woogie piano by Powell just can't be beat.

Where's the love for ZZTop? Ok, so they're more blues based than traditional southern rock, you can't deny their incredible roots-rock sensibility. I was lucky to have seen them live early on, and they were just incredible! Later, not so much. Check out Fandango and you'll see what I mean.

QUOTE (Lady April @ May 16 2007, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 08:13 AM)

ohmy.gif John Fogerty and his dimwit brother are not from the south at all and CCR was based out of California. laugh.gif They've had people fooled for years!!!

Dude I love the Allmans, Skynard, Molly, Atlanta Rhythm Section, even some of the later Collins Rossington band. Gary Rossington is one of my favourite guitar players like ever yes.gif trink39.gif

You don't have to be from the south to be "southern rock", and CCR proves that. I knew they weren't from down here, but they pulled it off very well and certainly sounded southern - not a very easy thing to do because if you're not careful you come across as fake.

But rock has it's roots in the south since it's derived from the black music that formed here mixed in with the European folk music. I quote Jim Morrison on this.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 16 2007, 09:38 PM)
You don't have to be from the south to be "southern rock", and CCR proves that. I knew they weren't from down here, but they pulled it off very well and certainly sounded southern - not a very easy thing to do because if you're not careful you come across as fake.

The Eagles are a great example of this.

They were from California, but had a lot of "country" in their sound; you could call them Southern Rock.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 16 2007, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 16 2007, 06:15 PM)
Is it considered lazy to not go to Wili and look that up?

I don't want to know why you look at Wili for any reason! dazed025.gif

What an unfortunate typo! Wiki, yes, Wiki....

comp26.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 16 2007, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ May 16 2007, 08:00 PM)
John Fogerty and his dimwit brother are not from the south at all and CCR was based out of California.

z7shysterical.gif

Was that the brother who supported the guy who stole thier copyrights? He died didnt he? Is it considered lazy to not go to Wili and look that up?

It's actually a pretty sad story if you can find a fairly correct source to read about it from.

I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida where Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special are from. I had NO CHOICE but to listen to them (especially in the 70s and early 80s when their music was constantly being played on radio stations). I can't say that I enjoy Southern Rock but it is a part of me.

Holy shit that's an old post :blaze:

• Like 1

I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida where Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special are from. I had NO CHOICE but to listen to them (especially in the 70s and early 80s when their music was constantly being played on radio stations). I can't say that I enjoy Southern Rock but it is a part of me.

Is it still true?

Is it still true?

Most of that post is fact so yeah it's undeniable. However, that last sentence is partly incorrect. I used to play billiards a lot in the late 80s-early 90s and the pool halls that I used to visit regularly played that southern fried rock stuff. At THOSE times, I liked it. Other times, it was just there. Tolerable.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Is it still true?

Most of that post is fact so yeah it's undeniable. However, that last sentence is partly incorrect. I used to play billiards a lot in the late 80s-early 90s and the pool halls that I used to visit regularly played that southern fried rock stuff. At THOSE times, I liked it. Other times, it was just there. Tolerable.

So you're a Blackfoot fan then like me?? I don't really like much Southern Rock but I do like Blackfoot. They were pretty big over here in the late 70's/early 80's so maybe it's a UK thing?

One word:

BLACKFOOT

They're also from Jacksonville.

Yeah I just noticed that. the announcer mentions it at the beginning of Highway Song Live. I forgot where they were from.

When I was at at uni [FSU] (a couple of hours west in Tallahassee), EVERY time I'd drive back to Jax and reach the city limits, 38 Special OR Skynard were GUARANTEED to be playing on the local rock station within 3 songs. This was a joke that a uni friend and I had when we'd ride back together. But it was always true. It always happened.

One word:

BLACKFOOT

They're also from Jacksonville.

Yeah I just noticed that. the announcer mentions it at the beginning of Highway Song Live. I forgot where they were from.

When I was at at uni [FSU] (a couple of hours west in Tallahassee), EVERY time I'd drive back to Jax and reach the city limits, 38 Special OR Skynard were GUARANTEED to be playing on the local rock station within 3 songs. This was a joke that a uni friend and I had when we'd ride back together. But it was always true. It always happened.

Yeah 38 Special and Molly Hatchet I thought were ok.

You should have changed channels or brought some RUSH tapes along!

Is it still true?

So you're a Blackfoot fan then like me?? I don't really like much Southern Rock but I do like Blackfoot. They were pretty big over here in the late 70's/early 80's so maybe it's a UK thing?

Haven't listened to them since those days. And that was because they were (are?) from Jax and were inescapable. Though i was a little kid during their heyday, I was already preoccupied with Rush. They were alright though.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze