Pink Floyd album vote

Which is better  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• Dark Side of the Moon
    • Wish You Were Here
    • Animals
    • The Wall

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ May 29 2006, 08:29 PM)
I liked the Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets, but this poll asks which one of those four were your favorite

I understand completely, and that's cool. Forgive me my reaction, I just always got annoyed that the big 4 flashy popular PF albums ALWAYS take away all the attention from their psychedelic experimental period which is the music I truly love. Then again, I usually get annoyed that music I consider crap (and these 4 Pink Floyd albums are in no way that) always gets all the attention over the music I think is brilliant. Again, forgive me my bitter musical snobbish alienation. I'll shut up now... ph34r.gif

i went with dark side, though they're all great.

the wall i loved when i was younger, and while i think it's brilliant, about the most i can handle listening to it now is once every 2-3 years. brilliant, but way too depressing for me.

Dark Side of the Moon for me. Got to agree with Mr Goober though, they did much better albums than The Wall. Roger Waters whingeing for a couple of hours about getting a smacked botty at school does not a happy listening experience make.

I guess The Wall is my choice.....after all, they're all great, but The Wall just stands alone I think.

all great albums but i chose animals.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ May 30 2006, 07:35 AM)
Vascillated between The Wall and DSOTM, but Comfortably Numb clinches it for me.

The Wall it is!!

My feelings exactly. Nicely put, madra. smile.gif

Yeah, here's The Wall's storyline in summery.

I had a mother who loved me - woe is me!!

I went to school - woe is me!!

I had a girlfriend - woe is me!!

My Dad died - woe is me!!

I became a rock star - woe is me!!

I slept with girls - woe is me!!

I became rich - woe is me!!

I became a little disconnected and a bit of a tosser - woe is me!!

Hmmm. Roger, you know that bit at the end where the wall breaks down and you stop being a tosser. You got that bit wrong.

I read an interview with him last year saying he was surprised that more Pink Floyd fans didn't following him into his solo career. He was promoting a really rather embarrassing opera he'd written about the French Revolution at the time. Irony-ometers to overload.

Wish You Were Here got my vote, but I too prefer the early stuff to the polished uber-albums of the 70s.

Love to all

Disco

I have to go with the Wall, also. It was the album that caused the split, though, unfortunately. There is something about sitting down and listening to it all the way through. DSOTM is been there, done that. I've listened to that stuff so many times already, but it's still a great album nonetheless. WYWH is enjoyable. I like all the parts of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, especially. I need to listen to Animals some more. I can't give a real opinion of it on here.

I'm surprised that The Wall has taken such a dramatic lead. Well, maybe I shouldn't be as it sold a gazillion copies and has been immensely popular over the years.

It's just that to me Dark Side is a much simpler, more straightforward, more elegant work, where The Wall is long, ponderous, depressing and a bit overblown. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album, but it's so CONCEPT-Y, filled with some connecting songs that aren't that great on their own and serve the purpose only of perpetuating the sometimes cumbersome storyline. Dark Side on the other hand doesn't have a weak moment, and while it's a concept album, it's not a story. Sure Comfortably Numb is an amazing song, but the whole album doesn't exactly match that standard.

Anyway, all the albums are great, but Dark Side is so far and away the best of the lot for me. Animals I would place second...

Yeah, I never quite "got" the Wall. Perhaps it's the most commercial of all their albums? I do happen to like "One of My Turns" as the song has some personal history to it. (Please attach it to the soundtrack of my life for the year 1984 alongside "Between the Wheels")

...and DSOTM does have my favourite side of any album, side 1's just glory all the way thru.

One the Run, an all time favourite of mine - an early trance classic. And the beginning of Time, oh and Great Gig in the Sky. golden stuff...

Love to all

Disco

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 30 2006, 12:24 AM)
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Sincerely,
Annoyed early PF fan who likes all these albums but can't stand they get all the attention when their 1967-1972 period was so brilliant.

Sincerely agrees that that era is the best.

THE WALL! So many great songs, then ANIMALS, WISH YOU WERE HERE and THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. My dog used to howl during the playing of DOGS! In the middle of the song when the guitars start howling. "And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around."

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 29 2006, 11:03 PM)
love all those albums but ANIMALS is by far my fav 1022.gif

yes.gif The Final Cut often overlooked very good stuff on it.

Archived