Did you know that...

sullysue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Three Eyes @ May 12 2006, 11:00 PM)
If you ask Neil for an autograph in a restaurant you're liable to receive a roundhouse kick to the face for your efforts. Oh wait. Sorry. That's Chuck Norris.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 12 2006, 03:57 PM)
Rush has to be the only band in the world who's been together with the same members for over 30 years, have multi-platinum albums for pretty much each album and still not in the RRHOF. sarcasm.gif

Can you say the same for ZZ-Top (I can't STAND them, but I know they've been around even longer than Rush, I think)?? Are they in the RRHoF?

. . . by the way, did I mention ZZ-Top and my favorite group in the same sentence??

No, no I didn't cool10.gif

In Jan. of '86, when emerging from the back of Reunion Arena in Dallas, having completed their stand on the PW tour, and boarding the bus to head to Houston, Alex wore a white sequined tuxedo with a red sequined top-hat and cane. Along with Ged, he signed autographs, shook hands and smiled into the eyes of a particularly adoring fan. To say he looked larger than life would be quite an understatement.

OK, so it's an very, very little known fact.

Sue me.

"It should also be noted that Rush is single handedly responsible for the baroque period, waltzes, and punk rock; all of which were directly influenced by their masterpiece 2112, which is the longest musical piece known to man. The original uncut version lasted exactly 37 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes, and 16 seconds. Before this, Atom Heart Mother was the longest, exactly 4 seconds shorter than 2112. They have been recording an even larger song for some time now, called Cygnus X-1; it is planned to last somewhere around three months (90 days) long in the full, uncut version. "

hey, I got it outta the encylopedia...

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Rush

QUOTE (TheMeek @ May 13 2006, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ May 12 2006, 06:47 PM)
Their least favorite band to tour w/:

Aerosmith. 

2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Why would that be??

Aerosmith were drugged and drunk out of their minds.

Original drummer John Rutsey quit before the start of Rush's first American tour opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann.

The opening mob scene in Witch Hunt was our beloved three ranting and raving(in a humorous tone) outside of Le Studio in sub-freezing temperatures drinking whiskey rofl3.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 12 2006, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (Schro @ May 12 2006, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Sonilink @ May 12 2006, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Three Eyes @ May 10 2006, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 10 2006, 05:04 AM)
In the spring of 1971, the band temporarily added a FOURTH member, rhythm guitarist Mitch Bossi.

They should have never let him go. Rush could have had their Malcolm Young.

waffen093.gif I 062802puke_prv.gif AC/DC

La villa too was recorded in one take but not the first 2.gif

Not to split hairs, but I distinctly remember reading somewhere (perhaps one of Neil's book?) that La Villa wasn't done in one take.

They *tried* to do it in one take, but they couldn't keep the tempo at the consistency they wanted throughout the song. So they did it in like 3 separate takes and spliced them together.

I swear I read this, somebody tell me I'm wrong. But if you do, I will spend the rest of my years finding the passage where I read this.

Cheers,

Schro

Now you bring it up, I remember the same thing. And, I will now go insane with you trying to figure out where I read it. wacko.gif

It's in "Contents Under Pressure" the authorized biography.

"It's probably the most complex record (Hemispheres) we've ever made. And when we got to Rockfield finally, after writing this stuff, we wanted to record as much live off the floor as we could, as much in one piece as we could. Even La Villa Strangiato we wanted to record as one ten minute piece. But we were also becoming perfectionists at that point and just didn't like the long pieces we were doing. They started to lose energy, so we finally compromised, and I think we recorded that song in three pieces, and then we glued them together." -- Geddy Lee from "Contents Under Pressure"

I also think I read it in one of Nei's books as well.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ May 12 2006, 07:40 PM)
In Jan. of '86, when emerging from the back of Reunion Arena in Dallas, having completed their stand on the PW tour, and boarding the bus to head to Houston, Alex wore a white sequined tuxedo with a red sequined top-hat and cane. Along with Ged, he signed autographs, shook hands and smiled into the eyes of a particularly adoring fan. To say he looked larger than life would be quite an understatement.

OK, so it's an very, very little known fact.

Sue me.

Wow! Good for you! You're truly a lucky guy! I would have loved to have had that experience. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (subdivision40 @ May 13 2006, 02:33 PM)
In the spring of 1971, the band temporarily added a FOURTH member, rhythm guitarist Mitch Bossi.

Not to split hairs, but I distinctly remember reading somewhere (perhaps one of Neil's book?) that La Villa wasn't done in one take.

They *tried* to do it in one take, but they couldn't keep the tempo at the consistency they wanted throughout the song. So they did it in like 3 separate takes and spliced them together.

I swear I read this, somebody tell me I'm wrong. But if you do, I will spend the rest of my years finding the passage where I read this.

Cheers,

Schro

Now you bring it up, I remember the same thing. And, I will now go insane with you trying to figure out where I read it. wacko.gif

"It's probably the most complex record (Hemispheres) we've ever made. And when we got to Rockfield finally, after writing this stuff, we wanted to record as much live off the floor as we could, as much in one piece as we could. Even La Villa Strangiato we wanted to record as one ten minute piece. But we were also becoming perfectionists at that point and just didn't like the long pieces we were doing. They started to lose energy, so we finally compromised, and I think we recorded that song in three pieces, and then we glued them together." -- Geddy Lee from "Contents Under Pressure"

Thank you Subdivision40!!

I tossed and turned all night last night over this.

Perhaps tonight I will finally be able to rest (until the next quirky unanswered Rush trivia nugget comes along).

Schro

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 13 2006, 03:22 PM)

Aerosmith. 

Why would that be??

I think I read somewhere that Aerosmith took too much time setting up that Rush could not rehearse their material.

Regarding what someone said earlier, I feel pretty sure that the first Rush video to be played on MTV was "Vital Signs". The Exit...Stage Left live videos for "Tom Sawyer", "Red Barchetta", and "Limelight" would eventually be played once they premiered it as an "MTV concert". I've never seen the studio versions of Tom Sawyer and Limelight on MTV.

QUOTE (Schro @ May 13 2006, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (subdivision40 @ May 13 2006, 02:33 PM)

Cheers,

Schro

Thank you Subdivision40!!

I tossed and turned all night last night over this.

Perhaps tonight I will finally be able to rest (until the next quirky unanswered Rush trivia nugget comes along).

Schro

No problem. Sleep well, Shro! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ May 12 2006, 05:52 PM)

Can you say the same for ZZ-Top (I can't STAND them, but I know they've been around even longer than Rush, I think)?? Are they in the RRHoF?

. . . by the way, did I mention ZZ-Top and my favorite group in the same sentence??

No, no I didn't cool10.gif

I hate ZZ-TOP also and yes there in theRRHoF.

There a constant radio filler for lazy dj's. Laughed when I read in Chemistry? Top was pissed because RUSH was getting louder applause then they did when RUSH opened for them.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 13 2006, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 13 2006, 03:22 PM)

Aerosmith. 

Why would that be??

I think I read somewhere that Aerosmith took too much time setting up that Rush could not rehearse their material.

Regarding what someone said earlier, I feel pretty sure that the first Rush video to be played on MTV was "Vital Signs". The Exit...Stage Left live videos for "Tom Sawyer", "Red Barchetta", and "Limelight" would eventually be played once they premiered it as an "MTV concert". I've never seen the studio versions of Tom Sawyer and Limelight on MTV.

MTV didn't air the Le Studio versions of Tom Sawyer or Limelight. I remember the ESL version got loads of airplay. Alex playing that white with black pickups and pickguard Strat was awesome. Geddy using the Rickenbacker bass and Neil playing his classic Tama kit which had the star with man bass drum heads. The ESL version of Limelight was always my favorite.

Great thread this yes.gif . There is a certain TRFer who shares his real first name with and old band name before 2.gif were a complete unit. He goes under his middle name but HADRIAN is his first real name...... who is it........

ME new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif TRUE yes.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Your name is Hadrian??

Speaking of which: Alex's band during Rush's temporary breakup was Hadrian, and one of his sons is named Adrian! He must really like the sound of those particular syllables!

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ May 12 2006, 12:55 PM)
In the 80's Geddy was on MTV talking about how some @sshole threw a lighter at him onstage and hit him in the eye. What a stain.

At Long Beach Arena during Moving Pictures Tour Someone lit a firecracker and Geddy Lee immediatly berated the guy calling him stupid and dangerous, much to the fans delight and hoorays.

Archived