Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 29 2009, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 29 2009, 10:40 AM)
Well Earl, how was it?

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/ytsejams_inc/2009%20Audience%20Shots/20090827-SanJose.jpg

Tangy!!!!

That's awesome dude!! You actually posted the picture!

We were right in front of John Myung so we didn't get in the picture.

I took a ton of pictures with my iPhone though.

I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to posting pictures on a forum but I will try at a later time.

There is no doubt that being in the front row surely does enhance the concert going experience.

Well were do I begin?

I know I have irritated a lot of you over the three years since I've been on here about bashing DT.

It's all in fun really. I like "SHOCK AND AWE!"

Let's see, those lyrics come to mind when I think about my love and hate for DT.

"DARK TO LIGHT, LIGHT TO DARK, DARK TO LIGHT, LIGHT TO DARK." That's me!

I haven't seen DT since they toured with Queensryche. I actually loved that show.

Anyway some things never change.

I loved the opening song of course because it's my favorite song on the new DT album, A Nightmare To Remember."

Well over the decades of seeing this band I have never been that close to Myung.

I love his six string bass. The dude plays effortlessly. I still think he needs to turn up the volume when he plays but the dude is fantastic.

One thing I noticed is that John never looks out into the audience.

He is one serious dude.

Rudess is non-stop off the charts man. I noticed the 52 inch Samsung flatscreen he has behind his synthesizer system. Very cool. Wizard hat and all! We actually have that same flatscreen TV in our office.

I have some great pictures of Jordan playing that what's it called? Synth-guitar?

Dream Theater came out with a BANG! No need to comment on Petrucci's playing. The dude is a human Text Book for the guitar. He has more wizardry in his guitar playing than there is in "Lord Of The Rings" "Harry Potter" and "Dungeons And Dragons" all put together as one! laugh.gif

James sounded great although my wife Wendy had one complaint.

She's more into the singing aspect of Dream Theater and was tired of seeing James leave the stage all the time.

She wanted more singing.

Well guys, she's into 3 minute pop songs too. Not 20 minute epic tunes that we enjoy.

As for Portnoy, my main target of fun I have to say that I loved those two metallic octobans in the center of his kit. Heck Mike actually played on them a lot.

Yes, I have a passion for octobans. Portnoy, Phillips and especially Stewie Copeland.

Anyway I thought it was cool that Mike wore a Golden State Warriors jersey. Stephen Jackson. Number 1, but of course. Neil will always be my Number 1.

I thought the set list was solid with only a few lulls.

You know me. I'm old school DT. I wanted to hear a bunch of stuff off of Images and Awake.

I know bands like this need to keep evolving and growing, hence they don't want to pull out all the old stuff. Bummer.

My faith in DT has been restored, yet they are so much fun to tease on a Rush Forum. LOL!

As for ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA I thought those guys were totally off the charts.

That drummer blew my mind.

Dweezil is BEYOND UNDERRATED!!!!

He has the gift from his father that's for sure.

Oh and the dude on the vocals, very cool. He sounded just like Frank.

My favorite song of the night by ZPZ was "BROKEN HEARTS ARE FOR ASSHOLES."

"I'm an asshole and you're asshole too!" "ram it, ram it ram it, ram it up your poop shoot."

The joint was cracking up. I haven't heard that song in years and I own "Sheik Your Booty."

Time to pull it out and play it.

Damn I like to offend! Just like Frank Zappa. R.I.P.

RUSH ON!!

Earl

sounds like you had a great time!

i think i kinda lucked out from an old material setlist perspective. the show i saw had as much off I & W and awake as any of the setlists i have seen did. i got:

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER

CONSTANT MOTION

BEYOND THIS LIFE

HOLLOW YEARS

(JR Keyboard Spot)

EROTOMANIA *

VOICES

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY

-----------------

METROPOLIS

* There was a short, impromptu drum solo during Erotomania while JP's rig temporarily went down

I can think of at least 8 trf forumers that caught the PN2009 tour so far.

i bet thats more than any other tour this year........?

There was a short, impromptu drum solo during Erotomania while JP's rig temporarily went down

I adore when sh*t like this happens, Tangy!!! Such vulnerability is what makes a live show so personal and especially memorable!!! wink.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 30 2009, 12:10 PM)
There was a short, impromptu drum solo during Erotomania while JP's rig temporarily went down

I adore when sh*t like this happens, Tangy!!! Such vulnerability is what makes a live show so personal and especially memorable!!! wink.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Good to know they each have eachothers back!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 1 2009, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 30 2009, 12:10 PM)

Hare biggrin.gif

Good to know they each have eachothers back!

those dudes are ready to cover anyones back at any time. that jam with dweezi and vai is sick as it what i have seen of the percussive nation jam with the drummers.

Owl, did you see the thread at mp.com where they summarized the numbers of time each song was played during the 26 shows of PN 2009 NA leg? quite interesting....... 1022.gif

DT sighting today!!!!

I went to our caf to get a cuppa this morning and one of the guys on our school building staff spotted me and yelled, "Hey Judy, wanna buy a shirt?!?"

unsure.gif

As a high school teacher, I am constantly asked to support clubs and teams, soooooooooooooooo . . . .

I was thinking, "Oh sh*t, I'm kinda broke cause we don't get checks til Thursday . . ." But this guy is a good friend so I figured I'll have to buy the shirt . . .

Anyway TO MY SURPRISE . . . when I looked at the shirt he was wearing, it was the same new DT shirt we bought for Dalton (Agent By-Tor) in Boston - - the one with the guys boldly spread out against a black background.

I was at once relieved that I didn't have to spend money and, of course, that DT was in my workplace!!!

I just plum lost my mind and yelled, L-A-B-R-I-E!!!!!!! (I spotted him first, as he is prominently in the center of the shirt!)

ohmy.gif

Have you ever been in a Twilight Zone situation where every-bustling and noisy-thing suddenly stops around you!!!???!!!

Well that was little Ms. Hare with the big mouth in the middle of my school lunch room.

Apparently my friend had taken his family to the Boston show!

Cool, eh?!?

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

i want a headlining tour . i know it's in 2010 but that is when the real show starts . an hour and a half just does not do them justice

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 9 2009, 09:57 PM)
i want a headlining tour . i know it's in 2010 but that is when the real show starts . an hour and a half just does not do them justice
1022.gif

drool1.gif

Ditto, that!!!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

I had a dream last night that I went to a Dream Theater concert, with Planet X (Derek Sherinian's instrumental band) as the opening act..... and I had second row tickets...

Unfortunately my damn alarm clock woke me up before the dream was over!.

With the Hubbub over the New PT album, this release totally passed me by..

"Wither EP"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/dream_wither.jpg

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)

- Wither (Piano Version)

- Wither ( John Petrucci Vocal Demo)

- The Best of Times (Mike Portnoy Vocal Demo)

I found the two alternate versions of Wither on Youtube

Wither (Piano Version)

I have not heard the Mike Portnoy vocals on TBOT (aside from the iTunes sample), but damn..... John does have some Pipes!

So far as I know this is only a digital release, and I do see it on iTunes... so I guess I am going to be picking up a 5 buck iTunes gift card tomorrow and downolading this!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 16 2009, 11:13 PM)

"Wither EP"

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)
- Wither (Piano Version)

Wither (Piano Version)
Wither (John Petrucci Vocals)

I have not heard the Mike Portnoy vocals on TBOT (aside from the iTunes sample), but damn..... John does have some Pipes!

So far as I know this is only a digital release, and I do see it on iTunes... so I guess I am going to be picking up a 5 buck iTunes gift card tomorrow and downolading this!

Surprising good vocals by Petrucci.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 17 2009, 07:59 AM)

"Wither EP"

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)
- Wither (Piano Version)

Wither (Piano Version)

yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 17 2009, 10:46 AM)

"Wither EP"

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)
- Wither (Piano Version)

Wither (Piano Version)

yes.gif

I can tell you as a vocalist, that is a difficult song to sing because of its octave range. He used some effects, but still impressive to me.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 17 2009, 10:13 AM)

"Wither EP"

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)
- Wither (Piano Version)

Wither (Piano Version)

yes.gif

I can tell you as a vocalist, that is a difficult song to sing because of its octave range. He used some effects, but still impressive to me.

that does sound good! he should sing more often.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 17 2009, 11:13 AM)

"Wither EP"

Track Listing

- Wither (Album Version)
- Wither (Piano Version)

Wither (Piano Version)

yes.gif

The song definitely has a much more soulful feel with him singing. No his voice isn't perfect but he does a very good job regardless. Sometimes imperfection fits best.

I saw the PROG NATION tour on August 1st, at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD...AWESOME show! cool.gif

DT's setlist for THAT night was as follows:

A Nightmare To Remember

Prophets Of War

Sacraficed Sons

A Rite Of Passage

The Dance Of Eternity

One Last Time

Solitary Shell

In The Name Of God

Encore

The Count Of Tuscany

Not only THAT, but QUEENSRYCHE was on the bill that night, as well! 1022.gif They played just before ZPZ. Ryche's setlist was:

Neue Regel

Screaming In Digital

The Whisper

Walk In The Shadows

Sliver

Man Down!

A Dead Man's Words

Home Again

Best I Can

Empire

Amazing show yes.gif trink38.gif

Edited by ALifeson85