Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I love Nightmare To Remember.

And I joined the Dream Theater Forum, back in February, before seeing them live, to get an idea of what the setlist would be. I was told that a true fan wouldn't want to see a setlist before a show. I've made 20~ posts over there, and don't think I'll be back.

• Like 3

And I joined the Dream Theater Forum, back in February, before seeing them live, to get an idea of what the setlist would be. I was told that a true fan wouldn't want to see a setlist before a show. I've made 20~ posts over there, and don't think I'll be back.

Good call. i didn't join but lurk a lot and.......holy shit, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Again, a very special and heartfelt "screw you guys" to PM & blue for ruining what I considered a hidden Dream Theater gem ;)

Generally, I Walk Beside You and Never Enough are looked at as one one the worst DT songs ever next to You Not Me. At least from the vocal fans, that's the case.

I joined the DTF too around the same time as the tour started. Funnily enough, I post more on the non-DT threads than the DT threads.

Systematic Chaos is a fail :D

That I could probably agree with. :LOL:

Just my opinion, tbh. Other than Repentance and In The Presence Of Enemies (and maybe The Dark Eternal Night) I just don't seem to enjoy it much.

I can see why fans don't like Systematic Chaos. I think In The Presence Of Enemies is a really good epic but beyond that, I don't listen to anything else on it regularly. Constant Motion is a decent rocker and I may listen to that from time to time. As for Octavarium, half of it is pretty good (the title track, Root Of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack) the rest of it is just awful.

The reason their fans are so demanding is because the band set the bar so high with I&W, Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees. A lot of the fans need to realise that even though they are great musicians/songwriters, expecting albums like those four each time out is impossible for any band to do. Especially when they come out with a new album every two years. Just the fact that we can get usually get something good from them each time out is enough for me now. The last two albums have exceeded my expectations though and you can tell that Portnoy's creative stranglehold on the band has been lifted with the last two releases.

• Like 1

Again, a very special and heartfelt "screw you guys" to PM & blue for ruining what I considered a hidden Dream Theater gem ;)

Generally, I Walk Beside You and Never Enough are looked at as one one the worst DT songs ever next to You Not Me. At least from the vocal fans, that's the case.

I can see where the melody of Walk Beside You can turn people away, but it isn't a bad performance by James. You Not Me? I've stayed away from it since the first listen, only to hear it again about three times... I remember exactly how the chorus goes, which is a bad thing, it proves (and this goes for a lot of the FII album) to sound like a "play this on the radio, please" song.

Vocally, I still find the chorus to Never Enough to be beautiful and powerful (credit's also due to the John and Jordan for the guitar/organ complimenting it). Maybe it's the verses which are bad vocally? You can make objective cases for the choruses containing good singing

I can see why fans don't like Systematic Chaos. I think In The Presence Of Enemies is a really good epic but beyond that, I don't listen to anything else on it regularly. Constant Motion is a decent rocker and I may listen to that from time to time. As for Octavarium, half of it is pretty good (the title track, Root Of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack) the rest of it is just awful.

The reason their fans are so demanding is because the band set the bar so high with I&W, Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees. A lot of the fans need to realise that even though they are great musicians/songwriters, expecting albums like those four each time out is impossible for any band to do. Especially when they come out with a new album every two years. Just the fact that we can get usually get something good from them each time out is enough for me now. The last two albums have exceeded my expectations though and you can tell that Portnoy's creative stranglehold on the band has been lifted with the last two releases.

I see Octavarium as better than SDoIT. Only prog rock/metal bands can get away with making a concept album and then saying they've made "an incredibly long epic track!" (PT's the Incident disc 1, SDoIT disc 2...)

at the top of the heap:

SCFAM > I&W > Awake

Lower, but still quite high up

DToE > Octavarium = s/t > SDoIT

Actually low, the "portnoy" albums

BC&SL > ToT > Chaos

And then the ones that I can't really place on the ladder because they're just altogether forgettable and I haven't listened to them much

FII, Debut

Blind Faith is a very good song, but the chorus is kind of lackluster and lame, it doesn't do the atmosphere that's set up during the verses justice whatsoever... But that can only handicap the song so much. The best part? One of my favorite John/Jodran solo sections of all-time. Just amazing.

i wish SDOIT Was the 1 disc........meaning the suite. IMO There was no need for disc 1. Funny thing sbout DT.....i love the band but with their output. I either love their stuff or hate it. There's no i sorta like it, lol

Mick

i wish SDOIT Was the 1 disc........meaning the suite. IMO There was no need for disc 1. Funny thing sbout DT.....i love the band but with their output. I either love their stuff or hate it. There's no i sorta like it, lol

Mick

I suppose it's a good thing both discs exist then, as I only really care for the first disc and find the second lame.

Five Degrees of Essential Turbulence:

1. Overture

2. The Glass Prison

3. Misunderstood

4. Blind Faith

5. Disappear

Perhaps I should give the suite another try though.. I could do that today.

Edited by Mr. Not

Mick

I suppose it's a good thing both discs exist then, as I only really care for the first disc and find the second lame.

Five Degrees of Essential Turbulence:

1. Overture

2. The Glass Prison

3. Misunderstood

4. Blind Faith

5. Disappear

Perhaps I should give the suite another try though.. I could do that today.

To each their own. The Suite is my favorite DT Epic tied with Octavarium. I really can't stand the first disc. i'll have to try the first disc again sometime.

Mick

glad I'm not the only one who thinks train of thought is a pretty lame attempt at being BROOTAL. I do like that instrumental though

Man I HATE TOT. Trying to project an image they are clearly not. massive fail, IMO Great DVD from that tour though.

Mick

• Like 1

glad I'm not the only one who thinks train of thought is a pretty lame attempt at being BROOTAL. I do like that instrumental though

Man I HATE TOT. Trying to project an image they are clearly not. massive fail, IMO Great DVD from that tour though.

Mick

Agreed on both points, but Systematic Chaos is a worse ToT, really.

I listrened to a couple songs earlier.

Constant Motion? Jordan's keyboards during the chorus are really cool, the song could have been good. Portnoy is not a lead vocalist, dammit!

Dark Eternal Night? Sounds like Primus metal to me :joker:

• Like 1