Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

What other bandmate´s vices could MP not stand? As far as I know, all DT members are family-oriented guys who do nothing but play and go home...

I read him making a complaint about how during a final DT-family dinner of a tour, one of the members didn't participate in any conversation and instead listening to music on his headphones. Sounds like a Myung to me.

Ok, not a vice then. And Myung´s quietness gets on my nerves as well.

Well his quietness, some would say, is a vice. I don't mind it personally.

vice & virtues are sometimes applied to people as loosely and subjectively as bad & good.

Edited by Mr. Not

I'm a bit late to the punch, but considering how good their previous two albums were, and how fantastic the setlist for this show/tour (almost a year old, again, late to the punch) is, I'd say Dream Theater is as strong as ever, or at the very least the strongest they've been since I&W or SCFAM... Mike Portnoy was dragging them down for about a decade there - not his drumming, but everything else about him. Truly one of the least (if not the least) likeable prog musicians today.

said it there. He is talented but after watching the Chaos documentary and him dragging them in that metal core direction.......yuck. "this is what DT NEEDS BRO!!!!!!!!!! " uh..........not really, lol

He has Flying Colors which is a great band. Hope he can control himself there.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

honestly, the only mangini-era songs I can even recall are illumination theory and learning to live 2 breaking all illusions.

I think they're "better" with portnoy because the 3 best albums they ever made have him on the kit, but honestly, it doesn't matter who the f**k is drumming for this band. you're gonna get a 75-minute album with 20-30 minutes of good material every two years, whether it's portnoy or ringo starr or animal playing drums.

That's interesting you mention that because it's fairly close to his non-drinking" years. What would you say his biggest douchery is? He's a workaholic control freak, to an extent, but actually a pretty sincere and nice guy. It's sad his "Innocence Faded".

Either that one incident when he knocked over one of the cymbals and stopped the show with Billy Sheehan and some others playing to rap about how bad his drum tech was or whatever, or the time he got pissed at a fan of his for wearing a Dramatic Turn of Events shirt.

He also couldn't stand his fellow bandmate's vices (as you can read from why he left Dream Theater or other blogs of his) when he clearly has many of his own which they had to deal with. His influence on the band was too strong, the band seems much more democratic without him. If he wasn't a douche, they'd have let him back in by now given how strong their history together is. Mike's personality indeed meshed better with the guys of A7X, I'd say.

I didn't know he stopped a show with Sheehan. He should know not to cross that line. I need to look that up. Thanks!

BTW, I talked to a top detroit guitarist who has the inside scoop on what MP was like on tour, and it's so ugly he won't even repeat it. Not even for money...

• Like 2

That's interesting you mention that because it's fairly close to his non-drinking" years. What would you say his biggest douchery is? He's a workaholic control freak, to an extent, but actually a pretty sincere and nice guy. It's sad his "Innocence Faded".

Either that one incident when he knocked over one of the cymbals and stopped the show with Billy Sheehan and some others playing to rap about how bad his drum tech was or whatever, or the time he got pissed at a fan of his for wearing a Dramatic Turn of Events shirt.

He also couldn't stand his fellow bandmate's vices (as you can read from why he left Dream Theater or other blogs of his) when he clearly has many of his own which they had to deal with. His influence on the band was too strong, the band seems much more democratic without him. If he wasn't a douche, they'd have let him back in by now given how strong their history together is. Mike's personality indeed meshed better with the guys of A7X, I'd say.

I didn't know he stopped a show with Sheehan. He should know not to cross that line. I need to look that up. Thanks!

BTW, I talked to a top detroit guitarist who has the inside scoop on what MP was like on tour, and it's so ugly he won't even repeat it. Not even for money...

Which is, above any other reason, why I don't think he should be with DT again. He was holding back their humble and gracious image.

Here's the video of his show with sheehan gone wrong:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDc0MTI2NTA4.html

One from a different camera perspective was on youtube, but it's down now and wasn't mirrored... This still serves all necessary purposes though. In fact, it's harder to watch than I remember it being. What I find funny is that he couldn't roll with whatever was wrong with his kit when it was that excessive. I don't mean to poke at people who use large kits at all, but come on, adapt to the situation at hand! Let's say someone using a 5-piece kit loses a hi hat in the middle of a song... I'm sure most reasonable musicians would improvise until the end of the song or until a tech could fix it for them, not throw a tantrum and make the situation horrid when it could have been unbeknownst to most of the audience.

For the record, Mike has apologized for his reaction. This was in the middle of a tour with PSMS which was hastily put together and had all sorts of mishaps: little local support, wrong hotel bookings, cancelled flights and so on. This was back in 2012 I think, and he was still coming to terms with him leaving DT and with scaling back his tour support - with a starting band like PSMS, it would be difficult to tour with his own drum tech and the whole entourage that DT got used to.

Listened to a lot of the self titled earlier (not the entirety, but over half the songs at random)..

Illumination Theory would work a whole lot better if it were longer. They need to put another part before cutting into the ambient / orchestral section. When that moment hits 7 minutes in it just feels premature to me, and sets off the finale as well.

• Like 1

Listened to a lot of the self titled earlier (not the entirety, but over half the songs at random)..

Illumination Theory would work a whole lot better if it were longer. They need to put another part before cutting into the ambient / orchestral section. When that moment hits 7 minutes in it just feels premature to me, and sets off the finale as well.

it's wonderful live and i love it but my only complaint is it does not sound like a uniform epic.........just stitched pieces.......but i guess you can argue that's what an epic is really, lol

Mick

• Like 2

it's wonderful live and i love it but my only complaint is it does not sound like a uniform epic.........just stitched pieces.......but i guess you can argue that's what an epic is really, lol

Mick

It's a great song aside from being too episodic, as you kind of just said. This may not be something that people say about Dream Theater songs often, but this one needed more Labrie. Nothing needed to be cut out, it just needed a little bit more to be put in.

Mick

It's a great song aside from being too episodic, as you kind of just said. This may not be something that people say about Dream Theater songs often, but this one needed more Labrie. Nothing needed to be cut out, it just needed a little bit more to be put in.

Hey many fans don't like Labrie......i do. he is a bit much but i like that about his style. So more Labrie is fine by me.

Mick

honestly, the only mangini-era songs I can even recall are illumination theory and learning to live 2 breaking all illusions.

I think they're "better" with portnoy because the 3 best albums they ever made have him on the kit, but honestly, it doesn't matter who the f**k is drumming for this band. you're gonna get a 75-minute album with 20-30 minutes of good material every two years, whether it's portnoy or ringo starr or animal playing drums.

This will sound crazy, but I actually like Breaking All Illusions a LOT more than Learning to Live.

• Like 1

I always thought it was too long, and that the string section felt too much like padding. Also reminded my of the Xanadu-esque guitar section in the middle of The Count of Tuscany (which is otherwise really awesome, cheesy lyrics be damned).

• Like 1

LaBrie certainty shines on Illumination Theory.

The best part of Illumination Theory begins at 5:13. I like the pattern they use behind LaBrie's straight-ahead delivery here. Made me stand up and take notice the first time, and still does.

I always thought it was too long, and that the string section felt too much like padding. Also reminded my of the Xanadu-esque guitar section in the middle of The Count of Tuscany (which is otherwise really awesome, cheesy lyrics be damned).

String section works better when you see it live on the new DVD. then again i'm the odd duck who likes strings in a rock show, lol. Love it every time.

Mick

This will sound crazy, but I actually like Breaking All Illusions a LOT more than Learning to Live.

I agree :yes:

Though, I often wish the entire song could be as exciting as the second verse :wub:

Edited by Mr. Not

I never liked learning to Live. And i love Images and Words. but that's song's a skipper for me. Breaking All Illusions i love .....love that chorus. wait.......Learning to live is the CLOSER.....so images ends with under A Glass moon for me. Wait for sleep is just a short piece.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

"Never Enough" is also an incredibly strong vocal performance by LaBrie :clap:

I agree with this, but lyrically though it's a clunker for me! And Octavarium's my favorite DT album!

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I agree with this, but lyrically though it's a clunker for me! And Octavarium's my favorite DT album!

it's the song i skip. oh so close to a perfect record. It's just portnoy whining, lol

Mick

• Like 1

learning to live is probably my favorite thing this band ever did. I think one reason I like it so much is because I'm not really a big DT fan and it doesn't sound like a typical DT song. for me, anyway, there seems to be more of a focus on atmosphere and subtlety, two areas where these guys and others like them severely fail nine times out of ten.

breaking all illusions is pretty good, especially for a rewrite, but that whole album sounds so half-assed to me.

it's the song i skip. oh so close to a perfect record. It's just portnoy whining, lol

Mick

Man.. Screw you guys :LOL:

I can't understand quite a bit of the lyrics, but the first verse and chorus are pretty good...

That said, I didn't know it was written by Portnoy... Now instead of finding the song genuine, I may think of it whining myself :facepalm: Hence, screw you guys :LOL:

• Like 1