Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

"Never Enough" is also an incredibly strong vocal performance by LaBrie :clap:

I agree with this, but lyrically though it's a clunker for me! And Octavarium's my favorite DT album!

I agree with this, but lyrically though it's a clunker for me! And Octavarium's my favorite DT album!

it's the song i skip. oh so close to a perfect record. It's just portnoy whining, lol

Mick

Man.. Screw you guys :LOL:

I can't understand quite a bit of the lyrics, but the first verse and chorus are pretty good...

That said, I didn't know it was written by Portnoy... Now instead of finding the song genuine, I may think of it whining myself :facepalm: Hence, screw you guys :LOL:

VICTORY!!!!!!!!

Mick

I love the keyboard solo in Live Scenes From New York. Jordan is amazing.

Agreed. I know fans drool over Moore.......but he's got nothing on Jordan.

I could watch just him play.

Mick

Jordan is a much better player than Moore. The reason fans hold Moore in such high esteem is because he established himself as a unique and individual songwriter while in the band. Jordan hasn't done that even though i'm sure he helps write the music to a lot of songs. Moore has wrote some all time Dream Theater classics on those first three studio albums, so the respect he has in a lot of the fanbase may seem overblown, but it's well deserved for the most part.

• Like 4

it's the song i skip. oh so close to a perfect record. It's just portnoy whining, lol

Mick

I can't understand quite a bit of the lyrics, but the first verse and chorus are pretty good...

That said, I didn't know it was written by Portnoy... Now instead of finding the song genuine, I may think of it whining myself :facepalm: Hence, screw you guys :LOL:

Are you serious? I knew the lyrics sucked the moment the words "Cut myself open wide" were being sung. :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick

Are you serious? I knew the lyrics sucked the moment the words "Cut myself open wide" were being sung. :LOL:

it's even worse in text, lol

Mick

Mick

See, I couldn't comprehend those lyrics. I thought it was "____ myself ________ white" :huh:

All I really understood of the first verse was:

You didn't like the way

You didn't like the way

My blood spilled on your brand new floor

and then there's the chorus, which again, the lyrics are good if viewed as genuine. under-appreciation happens... And man I really love how Petrucci's playing, Rudess's organ, and of course, LaBrie's strong singing.

As for the second verse, I understood most of what was said during the first four lines, but I never caught this part:

And countless fights to give you more

And then you say how dare that

I didn't write you back

I must be too good for you

I only care about myself

Holy shit, did Portnoy write this song to fans he upset? :facepalm:

"What would you say if I walked away?"

"Would you appreciate? But then it'd be too late."

Lyrics by Mike Portnoy.

I'll just let you ponder that.

Oh f*ck off :facepalm:

"Portnoy wrote the lyrics to "Never Enough", attacking the small portion of Dream Theater's fanbase who Portnoy perceived to complain about every thing they did." -- way to throw them a bone, moron.

I've also discovered this song is undeniably similar to Stockholm Syndrome by Muse.. I suppose I'll listen to that instead from here on out :facepalm:

Again, a very special and heartfelt "screw you guys" to PM & blue for ruining what I considered a hidden Dream Theater gem ;)

Now this is almost as bad "Full Circle"...

Ignorance is definitely bliss :yes:

• Inspired by the audience response to Dream Theater's heavier songs while on tour,[4] in the "Chaos in Progress" documentary, Portnoy says that they wanted Train of Thought to be a "balls to the wall" album with heavier, darker riffing, exposing them to a number of new metal fans. The album was written in three weeks.
  • "Honor Thy Father" was written about Mike Portnoy's stepfather. When asked about what inspired him to write that song, he stated in an IRC: "I'm not very good at writing love songs, so I decided to write a HATE song!!!"

• Between 5:51 and 6:07 of the song "In the Name of God", there was a hidden composition buried beneath the far louder sounds of the song itself which lay undiscovered for over a year and a half. The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it. The Mike Portnoy message board was rife with fans scouring the song looking for what it might be, until a fan going by the pseudonymous name "DarrylRevok" mentioned that from 5:51 to 6:07 there appeared to be morse code audible, which Nick Bogovich (user handle "Bogie") isolated and discovered that when translated to English, the phrase "eat my ass and balls" (a Mike Portnoy catchphrase) was the result.[10]

"What would you say if I walked away?"

"Would you appreciate? But then it'd be too late."

Lyrics by Mike Portnoy.

I'll just let you ponder that.

Oh f*ck off :facepalm:

"Portnoy wrote the lyrics to "Never Enough", attacking the small portion of Dream Theater's fanbase who Portnoy perceived to complain about every thing they did." -- way to throw them a bone, moron.

I've also discovered this song is undeniably similar to Stockholm Syndrome by Muse.. I suppose I'll listen to that instead from here on out :facepalm:

Again, a very special and heartfelt "screw you guys" to PM & blue for ruining what I considered a hidden Dream Theater gem ;)

Now this is almost as bad "Full Circle"...

Ignorance is definitely bliss :yes:

and then ironically walked away and wasn't let back in.............Tee hee :laughing guy: and before anyone says.........you just don't like Portnoy.

RIGHT!!!!

lol

Mick

Check out the Dream Theater Forum...there´s people calling Images & Words "derivative", "uninspired" and "generic". Need I say more??

Dream theater forum annoy me. i will never join. Some think Rush fans are bad, lol Read over there.

Mick

To be fair, a good chunk of DT fans are Never Enough - worthy. I've never seen such demanding fans with any other band.

If I seem superhuman I have been misunderstood

"It's just a matter of opinion!"

http://www.baixistas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/les-claypool.jpeg

Mick

Never Enough and Prophets of War (i.e. the Muse songs) are total skippers for me too.

• Like 1

And black Clouds. Those two albums you started to feel Portnoy's strangle hold. Can't stand those two records.

Mick

Maybe it's because 2009 was around the year I got into Dream Theater, but for a while there Black Clouds was one of my favorites. Today I don't see anything so great about it, not even Rite of Passage or Count o Tuscany which I previously found very enjoyable.

note: it was only one of my favorites after only having listened to three albums of theirs :P

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Ever notice the last 2 albums........to me at least there's new found freedom. And you can just hear the fresh air entering their lungs. Maybe i'm just a Mangini fan, lol

Mick

One nod I can give to Portnoy, is I enjoy his drumming more than Mangini's as it looks so far... Nothing that Mangini has done has really stood out to me yet.

To me it's all about the freedom they have now; which is greater than all else. A great drum fill means nothing if it's a song I'll never listen to again anyway :LOL:

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1