Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

:goodone:

On the Backs of Angels is one of the songs that grew on me from ADTOE...I didn´t like it at first, but now I love it!!! :haz: :haz:

LaBrie is killing on this live version, as is Billy Joel on guitars. Can´t wait for the official release!

Soon...and I believe I mentioned this before here, but 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of Awake, so I expect that the upcoming setlist is loaded with songs from that album. Some are even expecting that they play Space-Dye Vest at last - it was only played before at a concert that Jordan and James did together in 2011.

Soon...and I believe I mentioned this before here, but 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of Awake, so I expect that the upcoming setlist is loaded with songs from that album. Some are even expecting that they play Space-Dye Vest at last - it was only played before at a concert that Jordan and James did together in 2011.

Hopefully they'll look into bringing back Lifting Shadows Off A Dream and/or Innocence Faded into the set. Those two songs besides Space Dye Vest are probably the least played off of Awake. James' performance of Innocence Faded on Score was probably the highlight of the show and I'm sure if he sung it now, he'll sound killer.

I bought my copy of Live at Luna Park today (I got the deluxe book edition) at my local record store. The packaging looks great! Haven't watched the full concert but I did listen to some of the songs on CD and MY GOD James was on fire on all the songs I listened to. The first few words he sang in Caught In A Web...I can't believe how good he sounded. Hopefully I'll get time to watch the full concert and give my $0.02 on it, but so far I'd say this is the best live DVD since...their last proper DVD, Score (I don't count Chaos in Motion cause the band don't appear to acknowledge its existence).

It's mind boggling for me to see that there's a slow, rising majority of DT fans who believe that James' vocals on the Pull Me Under clip from Live at Luna Park aren't great even if overdubbing was used. I've been reading some comments on YouTube and even Blabbermouth and they all say the same thing negative criticism about James' vocals as they have been doing since his vocal injury. It's a shame really cause I believe his vocals are truly back since ADTOE, but it's their loss really. Seems like whatever DT has done since Portnoy left is "Never Enough" for them.

I think his vocals have improved immeasurably over the last few years.

Agree. He sounds fantastic on the new album.

I think you all know what I'm going to say about Luna Park but if it isn't obvious yet it will now....

This is an amazing live DVD. James' performance was probably the highlight of the show. Absolutely nailed every f**king song in the set and sounded even better on the ADTOE songs live than in the studio. The camera work and editing was great as well. I loved their use of overhead cameras...for once we can clearly see what Jordan's playing rather than looking at him from front and back at eye level. The keys weren't that low as the early reviews said they were IMO but they could've been louder in the mix definitely. Same goes with Myung as well, although he was very prominent in the mix during his solo in Metropolis. Petrucci's guitars sound crunchy and chorussey...just like chocolate cake as he wants it to be :LOL: Oh and for the record, Mangini's phenomenal here and in the tour documentary he comes off as really funny and has a great personality. The documentary was great although it could've been longer. Kinda got a reality show vibe from it but it looks professional if that makes sense. Funniest part in that doc was the dining part where they talk about seeing themselves on Urban Dictionary and the Mangini bit at the end.

It might come to a shock, but out of the songs that were only performed on one of the two nights in Luna Park, I liked the bonus songs more. I thought that These Walls deserved an official live release, same goes with Caught In A Web cause there had yet to have been IMO, an excellent, definitive live version of it on a live release (I didn't like the Once In A LIVEtime version of it tbh)

The only critique I have of it is the crowd level. It's too low even for a live album. Now, it might seem as if Chycki mixed the crowd too low, but I honestly think it's got something to do with a post-production issue: the crowd wasn't miked properly or at all. Just my opinion and I could write an 1000 word essay on why I think it's the case but I won't. I'm not saying it's true but it's definitely possible.

Overall, the crowd level issue doesn't hurt my ranking of this release as it's well shot, as professional looking as Live at Budokan, more engaging visually than all DVDs before it, and it's got a Score like performance if not better.

Live from luna park! Wow wow wow and more wow. Watched it last night at a very loud volume. This band is amazing. One of the best rock bands out there. Performances A+ across the board. Mike M. Is just amazing. Band is so tight in all of those crazy music sections. So impressed by this band. Gonna watch this over and over. Very entertaining. Can't wait to catch them live next year. Have never seen them live. Kinda have with this new DVD release. This is a must purchase for all fans.

I'm really NOT liking the Luna Park blu-ray at all.

It has nothing to do with the performance.. the few songs I skipped through were fine (except Pull Me Under which is pretty awful on this release). It's the actual video that is grotesque IMO. The white balance is WAY off from one camera to the next and whomever was the videographer forgot to tell the light guys that they MUST use a white spot on any person who is in a red or green effect when you're filming! Lord.. it's absolutely awful to see such a horrific product in 2013.

And don't get me started on the fixed SD cameras they felt the need to edit in for some unknown reason... and the post-production film effects.. in 2013??? Really???? REALLY???????

Snaked you must not like anything in life what so ever. Way to critical. Almost to the point nothing will be good enough for you. Sad way to live life. You poor soul

There is plenty in life I like but I'm not going to sit here and lie just because I'm a fan of a band.

I've been following DT since '92 and no, they don't get a free pass from me.

My comments were my observations.

My copy came yesterday.....going to pop it in this weekend and indulge start to finish.

I saw both the Blu-Ray and the DVD for sale here in Stavanger, but no audio CD!!! Decided to give it a pass for now - I´m at the hotel, and what´s the point of watching it on the laptop screen?

Good for you !

Gotta have the whole stereo effect going on.

I have it on regular DVD and watched the whole thing and the extra songs from the other show. Here's some quick feelings on it:

* The setlist was pretty good, but obviously it's ADToE-heavy which is expected. The few Awake-era songs that were played were the highlight for me, very very awesome. I really do miss when Portnoy wrote the setlists but it wasn't terrible or anything. I would have probably swapped out The Spirit Carries on with something like Fatal Tragedy and either the guitar or piano solo with Blind Faith but oh well.

* The songs they played that were with the orchestra were all awesome. I don't think I've ever heard a better version of The Silent Man this side of the studio cut.

* They didn't show John Myung all that much, which is to be expected because his bass is really low in the mix.

* Jordan is also too low in the mix but it's not quite as bad. However, I really think this is because..

* The guitar is way way too LOUD during both shows. I love JP, and the guy can play his ass off, but he's too loud and the overall sound of the band isn't nearly as good as it was on something like Score or Budokan :(

* James' voice overall is much better than any recent live Youtube recordings from the past few years. Even if they did tweak his vocals I think this was a good move.

* The backing vocals were too low. I think JP's not reknown for his backing vocals but he's not terrible by any stretch. I wish they would have turned him up more.

* It's weird to hear triggered vocals to cover some of the missing Portnoy stuff. I was wondering who was going to sing the crazy voice during "The Test That Stumped Them All" live and now we know the answer: Nobody!

So I guess this wasn't very short at all hah. I'd give it a 7/10 and big points for James' great vocals.

I'm really NOT liking the Luna Park blu-ray at all.

It has nothing to do with the performance.. the few songs I skipped through were fine (except Pull Me Under which is pretty awful on this release). It's the actual video that is grotesque IMO. The white balance is WAY off from one camera to the next and whomever was the videographer forgot to tell the light guys that they MUST use a white spot on any person who is in a red or green effect when you're filming! Lord.. it's absolutely awful to see such a horrific product in 2013.

And don't get me started on the fixed SD cameras they felt the need to edit in for some unknown reason... and the post-production film effects.. in 2013??? Really???? REALLY???????

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but yeah the whole video had a much different vibe than something like Budokan had. Like it was filmed in a small club. Was it?

I saw both the Blu-Ray and the DVD for sale here in Stavanger, but no audio CD!!! Decided to give it a pass for now - I´m at the hotel, and what´s the point of watching it on the laptop screen?

I bought the Box Set (2 Dvd/ 3 CDs) for get this....$ 17.99 They ahd the Blu-ray price on it and had to give it to me for the prices listed on the package.... :dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

An Evening with Dream Theater Fantasy Setlist:

Considering what they played last tour.

Set 1:

False Awakening Suite

The Enemy Inside

Peruvian Skies

A Change of Season

Drum Solo/

The Enigma Machine

The Count of Tuscany

Learning to Live

Set 2:

The Looking Glass

Innocense Faded

Blind Faith

Forsaken

Keyboard Solo/

Vacant

The Ytse Jam

The Great Debate

Petrucci Solo/

Pull Me Under

Home

Octavarium

Encore:

Illumination Theory

:drool:

Edited by losingit2k

Get excited everyone, because in a few days Dream Theater will announce the tour dates for the US leg of the tour! Don't believe me? Well, they posted this picture on their Facebook a few hours ago...

1468749_10151756300622181_2021578160_n.jpg

:dweez: :chickendance: :dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

Here's an interesting interview with Derek Roddy on his Dream Theater audition. The really interesting part comes around the 10 minute mark. If his words, are truly genuine he points out some revealing points in the interview. I don't want to give away exactly what he said in the interview but personal, while I think his reasons for auditioning make little sense, I want to believe that what he said regarding the whole thing (the "reality show" vibe of the documentary, Mangini and Minneman, etc.) are true. Take this interview with a grain of salt guys.

While I also take it with a grain of salt, I can imagine the role in Dream Theater not being everyone´s career plan. Let´s be honest, how many of us thought (and maybe still think) that Mike Portnoy would come back any time soon? Would you leave your current job for another one where your predecessor was lurking in the shadows, still discussing his role and all that?

All that said, if I was a drummer and was invited for the audition, of course I would be there, even though I might not be interested in the role. Bieng part of the audition raised everybody´s profile, even Achilles Priester, who apparently messed up the test, but I´m sure that the editing played a significant role in portraying him like that. I met him in São Paulo at the Adrenaline Mob/Halestorm concert a while back and he was quite happy about the results and exposure that the audition brought him.