Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:10 PM)

[/quote]
I'm about as big a DT fan as you're gonna find on here (just got my tickets today to my 23rd DT show). And, Mike definitely took ownership over a lot of the non-musical stuff (press, bootleg discs, setlists, etc) in addition to his awesome drumming.

But, they're gonna survive. As has already been said, they have a more than capable drummer replacing him. They've all been more visible in interviews and social networks. They're still doing meet and greets (a little expensive for my liking). And, the setlist is probably gonna be the same for the majority of the tour. Keep in mind, MP had played all of this stuff since its inception. MM came onboard less than a year ago. Learning one setlist of their material for a tour is enough. Asking him to learn an additional 10-20 of their complex songs is a little daunting. PLUS, it sounds like the creative process for the new album might have been a bit more enjoyable for the rest of them than it has been in the past. And, their live shows from this tour sound great.

If you like DT, pick up the new album next month, keep an open mind and see what happens. It's an exciting time for them. ll be running out on release day to get it. I can't wait to be sitting in the 5th row watching my favorite band in October.

I have a totally open mind, I just don't like the new song. Sounds like they went back to 1994. I have seen every tour they have done so I won't miss this one. The same set every night is lame. Mangini said they are doing that so the show runs smooth. Portnoy was prob the only one that wanted the set change. Meet & greet? No thanx, i don't pay to meet anyone.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 02:30 PM)

I'm about as big a DT fan as you're gonna find on here (just got my tickets today to my 23rd DT show). And, Mike definitely took ownership over a lot of the non-musical stuff (press, bootleg discs, setlists, etc) in addition to his awesome drumming.

But, they're gonna survive. As has already been said, they have a more than capable drummer replacing him. They've all been more visible in interviews and social networks. They're still doing meet and greets (a little expensive for my liking). And, the setlist is probably gonna be the same for the majority of the tour. Keep in mind, MP had played all of this stuff since its inception. MM came onboard less than a year ago. Learning one setlist of their material for a tour is enough. Asking him to learn an additional 10-20 of their complex songs is a little daunting. PLUS, it sounds like the creative process for the new album might have been a bit more enjoyable for the rest of them than it has been in the past. And, their live shows from this tour sound great.

If you like DT, pick up the new album next month, keep an open mind and see what happens. It's an exciting time for them. ll be running out on release day to get it. I can't wait to be sitting in the 5th row watching my favorite band in October. [/quote]
I have a totally open mind, I just don't like the new song. Sounds like they went back to 1994. I have seen every tour they have done so I won't miss this one. The same set every night is lame. Mangini said they are doing that so the show runs smooth. Portnoy was prob the only one that wanted the set change. Meet & greet? No thanx, i don't pay to meet anyone.

I admit that the revolving setlists were awesome! DT fans were very spoiled because nobody does that. But, the only time that really came into play was if you were seeing more than one show of a tour. I'm only going to see the NJ show. So, it doesn't really matter to me.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:46 PM)

If you like DT, pick up the new album next month, keep an open mind and see what happens. It's an exciting time for them. ll be running out on release day to get it. I can't wait to be sitting in the 5th row watching my favorite band in October.

I have a totally open mind, I just don't like the new song. Sounds like they went back to 1994. I have seen every tour they have done so I won't miss this one. The same set every night is lame. Mangini said they are doing that so the show runs smooth. Portnoy was prob the only one that wanted the set change. Meet & greet? No thanx, i don't pay to meet anyone. [/quote]
I admit that the revolving setlists were awesome! DT fans were very spoiled because nobody does that. But, the only time that really came into play was if you were seeing more than one show of a tour. I'm only going to see the NJ show. So, it doesn't really matter to me.

I was one of the people that went more than once. Where are they playing in n.j ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 06:30 PM)

If you like DT, pick up the new album next month, keep an open mind and see what happens. It's an exciting time for them. ll be running out on release day to get it. I can't wait to be sitting in the 5th row watching my favorite band in October. [/quote]

Yeah...I paid for a DT meet'n'greet a couple of years back. Felt a bit like going to 4 hairy(and one baldy beardy)prostitutes, but no sex.

Won't happen again, hindsight is a marvellous thing.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 02:54 PM)
I was one of the people that went more than once.  Where are they playing in n.j ?

The only times I went more than once were back in 2000 on the SFaM tour (Sea Bright, NJ, Philly and Roseland NYC) and for the SDoIT Beacon Theatre shows (Absolutely fantastic! Master Of Puppets ruled!)

They're playing the Morristown Community Theatre on October 11, 2011. I was able to get 2 tix in Row D this morning. Can't wait!

Incidentally, I noticed the name of your son. It looks fairly obvious but, was he named for Zakk Wylde and Dimebag? Or, is it simply a coincidence?

Edited by cfmoran13

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Aug 3 2011, 02:53 PM)

Incidentally, I noticed the name of your son. It looks fairly obvious but, was he named for Zakk Wylde and Dimebag? Or, is it simply a coincidence?

No coincidence. I have had the pleasure of hanging out with the two of them a bunch of times

I agree with most everything cfmoran13 said. They are still capable of making good music without Portnoy, even though he was a great drummer. I'll only see them once if I do go, so the setlist doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure of I can go see them this tour, but I'm not going to sit through Trivium's set.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 5 2011, 03:52 PM)
There's a 1 minute sample of Bridges In The Sky on Youtube. It was originally called The Shaman's Trace, but the name was changed. I'm not sure what to think. The sample is too short to come to any conclusions, but it sounds decent.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dreamtheater

Got a good "Awake" vibe off of that track...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 8 2011, 07:38 AM)
It's kinda sad. Almost seems like a pity party compared to what I would have expected. It's riveting how much his attitude changed when he was suddenly dropped from A7X's payroll. I've never heard of a drummer who turned their back then acted like they were somehow screwed over in the process. Sounds a bit selfish of Mikey. And nothing positive to say about the new dream theater? He is unable to say something like "I heard it and I like it. It's not DT in my opinion, but it sounds good!" ???
Pfft... eh.gif

But you're looking at it from YOUR point of view as a complete outsider. MP is hearing the band he built for 25 years with another drummer...it's gotta be insanely heartbreaking and tough to experience, no matter what the situation was that led to MP's leaving.

He is smart for not saying anything. Everything he says gets misconstrued anyway, so he cannot win no matter what.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 8 2011, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 8 2011, 07:38 AM)
It's kinda sad. Almost seems like a pity party compared to what I would have expected. It's riveting how much his attitude changed when he was suddenly dropped from A7X's payroll. I've never heard of a drummer who turned their back then acted like they were somehow screwed over in the process. Sounds a bit selfish of Mikey. And nothing positive to say about the new dream theater? He is unable to say something like "I heard it and I like it. It's not DT in my opinion, but it sounds good!" ???
Pfft... eh.gif

But you're looking at it from YOUR point of view as a complete outsider. MP is hearing the band he built for 25 years with another drummer...it's gotta be insanely heartbreaking and tough to experience, no matter what the situation was that led to MP's leaving.

He is smart for not saying anything. Everything he says gets misconstrued anyway, so he cannot win no matter what.

Regardless of how he feels, he brought this on himself. As long as he isn't crying foul, there should be no issue.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 8 2011, 10:14 AM)
Regardless of how he feels, he brought this on himself. As long as he isn't crying foul, there should be no issue.

He's not crying about anything. He gets interviewed, then a small chunk of the interview is taken by some other source and quoted as being a press release or whatever, and everyone thinks Portnoy is 'hogging the spotlight' or 'crying about it' when all he's doing is trying to do an interview about his new band Adrenaline Mob.

MP has not once whined about his decision, yet tons of fans think he's done nothing but say bad shit about DT.

Enough about Portnoy. He said nothing wrong on this occasion.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 8 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 8 2011, 10:14 AM)

He's not crying about anything. He gets interviewed, then a small chunk of the interview is taken by some other source and quoted as being a press release or whatever, and everyone thinks Portnoy is 'hogging the spotlight' or 'crying about it' when all he's doing is trying to do an interview about his new band Adrenaline Mob.

MP has not once whined about his decision, yet tons of fans think he's done nothing but say bad shit about DT.

So his association to former band with former wife is meaningless? I don't believe so. If he wasn't bothered, he wouldn't speak about it and would simply ignore the questions. And to me, it sounds like crying. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 8 2011, 11:38 AM)
Enough about Portnoy. He said nothing wrong on this occasion.

Uh oh...you are asking for more Portnoy discussion, aren't you. laugh.gif

Are you hero, Lancelot tick, to King Arthur Portnoy? tongue.gif