Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I agree about Steve Morse and Simon Phillips. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Would be awesome. I just met Simon in L.A. a few months ago. He has to be the coolest guy on the planet! 653.gif yes.gif common001.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here are Neil and Simon talking about the Burning For Buddy project. He even rehearsed,, produced, helped and corrected the band before recording with them! He can do that! That's how much he knows his stuff and knows music. Could Neil have done that? rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

GOOOOOOOOO Simon! common001.gif 653.gif biggrin.gif bekloppt.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 24 2011, 06:31 AM)
You overall are just a board troll. You piss me off. Get out of this thread. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Dude! ohmy.gif Lighten up! smile.gif trink39.gif Never "hi-jacking" any thread. Never trolling. Sometimes threads go off-topic and can go in a slightly different direction for a few posts. It's no big deal.

By the way, I have nothing against Dream Theater and have actually seen them several times. Even way back when they were called Majesty.

I think it is sad that this was Portnoy's baby and now he left his baby and now wants it back. His choice though.

trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 25 2011, 04:35 AM)
You overall are just a board troll. You piss me off. Get out of this thread. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Dude! ohmy.gif Lighten up! smile.gif trink39.gif Never "hi-jacking" any thread. Never trolling. Sometimes threads go off-topic and can go in a slightly different direction for a few posts. It's no big deal.

By the way, I have nothing against Dream Theater and have actually seen them several times. Even way back when they were called Majesty.

I think it is sad that this was Portnoy's baby and now he left his baby and now wants it back. His choice though.

trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Yes, you do hijack threads. Yes, you do post like a dick. No, we don't believe you saw Majesty live. No, lying about being A DT fan doesn't remove the egg all over your face. no.gif

No, no, no... I especially disliked your feeble attempt at saying our boy Neily was trumped by another drummer on Neil's own Buddy Rich tribute in a completely nonrelated dream theater thread, of all places. NOT tryin to be mean. Just sayin...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 25 2011, 07:11 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 25 2011, 04:35 AM)

trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Yes, you do hijack threads. Yes, you do post like a dick. No, we don't believe you saw Majesty live. No, lying about being A DT fan doesn't remove the egg all over your face. no.gif

No, no, no... I especially disliked your feeble attempt at saying our boy Neily was trumped by another drummer on Neil's own Buddy Rich tribute in a completely nonrelated dream theater thread, of all places. NOT tryin to be mean. Just sayin...

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 25 2011, 07:47 AM)
Being told you post like a dick on a Rush Forum is like being hounded off a Gay forum for being too camp.

Fanbois being fanbois.

OMG! z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 25 2011, 06:11 AM)
No, we don't believe you saw Majesty live.

No, lying about being A DT fan doesn't remove the egg all over your face. no.gif

"We"? rofl3.gif

Believe or don't believe what you want. yes.gif

Never ever said I was a Dream Theater "fan". Just because you have seen a band several times does not mean you are a "fan" And yes, I did see them as Majesty.

Neil was trumped in the Buddy Rich tribute. yes.gif

Even he knew it. That's why he started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber. DUH! Ask anybody who saw the live concert.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 26 2011, 01:04 AM)

Never ever said I was a Dream Theater "fan". Just because you have seen a band several times does not mean you are a "fan"

I would say going to see a band you don't like SEVERAL times would make someone a jackass. atickhum.gif

I'm kind of new around and I thought I would throw this out there. I admit I haven't gone through over one-hundred pages so this has probably been asked. How do you DT fans ranks the studio albums? Here is mine

Scenes From a Memory

Falling Into Infinity

Images and Words

Awake

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

When Dream and Day

Octavarium

Train of Thought

Black Ckouds and Silver Linings

systematic Chaos

Edited by chaotic_ripper

Okay, I'll Bite..

1. Octavarium

2. Scenes

3. Images & Words

4. Six Degrees (Tie)

4. Black Clouds (Tie)

6. Awake

7. Systematic Chaos (Tie)

7. Falling Into Infinity (Tie)

9. Train of Thought

10. When Dream & Day Unite

Not easy to do but I'll go...

1. Scenes

2. I&W's

3. Awake

4. SC

5. Six Degrees

6. Octavarium

7. Black Clouds

8. Falling

9. TOT

10. WDADU

I don't have Falling Into Infinity or When Dream & Day Unite.

Currently, its:

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Octavarium

3. Train of Though

4. Images & Words

5. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

6. Awake

7. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

8. Systematic Chaos

9. A Change of Seasons EP

I'm sure this will change. BC&SL and ToT were near the bottom of my list for a while, but I've really started to like them.

Am I the only one on this thread that thinks Black Clouds was nearly absolute rubbish? The only good songs on there were The Shattered Fortress and maybe Wither, even though Shattered Fortress was essentially a mash-up (but it was good) and Wither wasn't really that exciting, but it had more good moments than Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany. The vocals on both of those felt bland and uninspired to me, and the "growling?" (I'm not even sure what you would call it) from Mike ruins the whole experience for me. A Rite of Passage is OK, but I can't even make it through Best of Times without falling asleep. There's just not a thing on the album to make me want to listen to it all the way through.

QUOTE (The Slanny Ganizat @ Mar 28 2011, 11:29 AM)
Am I the only one on this thread that thinks Black Clouds was nearly absolute rubbish? The only good songs on there were The Shattered Fortress and maybe Wither, even though Shattered Fortress was essentially a mash-up (but it was good) and Wither wasn't really that exciting, but it had more good moments than Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany. The vocals on both of those felt bland and uninspired to me, and the "growling?" (I'm not even sure what you would call it) from Mike ruins the whole experience for me. A Rite of Passage is OK, but I can't even make it through Best of Times without falling asleep. There's just not a thing on the album to make me want to listen to it all the way through.

Its not there greatest work, but I do like it. For me its, A Nightmare To Remember and The Count Of Tuscany that make the album. The other songs are a bit lackluster.

I love the two I mentioned though.

BC&SL is a good album. No, it doesn't touch their best work (Awake, SFAM, I&W, 6DOIT), but it was an upgrade over the fairly average albums that had done prior to it. The last three songs (despite the weak lyrics) on it are all very good DT tunes. I liked A Nightmare to Remember a lot when it came out, but I almost never listen to it anymore; the second half just gets a bit lackluster after an awesome first half. The other two songs are both good, but neither really stand out.