Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (shail @ Apr 25 2011, 05:49 PM)
Some people said Gavin harrsion should audition. That music is not his cup of tea. He's not that type of player anyhow. Plus he's already in a band. Mike M audition was good. He would be perfect for the gig. Virgil would just make the already math music even more boring. Hope mike gets it. He's a good showman live also. It was funny at the end of the clip to hear the guys impressed with someone's double bass skills. All they care about is speed it seems.

GH would not fit the style of the band, even though I am positive he could play it. And like tick said, where do you get the idea DT is about speed?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 25 2011, 09:20 AM)
Here is the first part of the Drummer auditions doc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPFmmI...nel_video_title

As a drummer I find this very interesting. I loved the first audition and it's great to watch but what's in it for the band? Why did they turn this into a Reality Show? For more cash flow?

You would think that the band would have kept this audition "Under Wraps."

Signed,

JETHRO TULL laugh.gif

Why did they turn it into a reality show???

Do you really need the obvious answer???

Already this documentary is totally energizing the fan base. The buzz is unbelievable! This has they're fans excited big time and that makes the whole thing a brilliant move!

The second think that makes it brilliant is the fact they are putting a personality to the name that will replace there beloved drummer so when he sits behind the kit for the first time he will be met with total excitement instead of total scrutiny. The fans will feel they know him already and thus will be pulling for him to succeed instead of seeing a guy for the first time and holding him squarely under the microscope.

This whole thing is a BRILLIANT marketing strategy. There is no two ways about it.

Whoever came up with idea was a very smart person indeed.

You know I'm right on all I have said! 1022.gif atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

And it's a doc on roadrunner's site... it's not like it's on VH1.

Supposedly this is a 3 part doc, and part 2 is on supposed to be on Roadrunner's site tomorrow.... so I am guessing part 3 will actually "announce" the drummer.

With all this being said, I think the news and excitement (or annoyance) about the new drummer is taking away from news about the new album, which truth be told I want to hear news on more than the drummer announcement.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 25 2011, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 25 2011, 01:03 PM)
I hope they don't drag this out even longer

Why? Its fun, and in the end(Rush reference) if will have the fans acquainted with the new drummer already. Its a brilliant marketing move.

Marketing scheme is good, but i think it's more to hold us fans over while their lawyers acquire the dt name, which portnoy's dad named. I hope they don't have to call it "new York's dream theater" or some bullshit like that.

As far as drummers go, mangini is such a good fit. Marco and the other guys are world class but none of them have the charisma which is paramount to get thru to the audience. And he's down to earth. ( for now) that's such also critical. I'm sure he's the guy. Eddie trunk don't lie

rofl3.gif I'm a poet & didn't know it.

I'm up for a paypal bet. I'm not talkin smack here folks...

I was extremely impressed with the names of those who were asked...and that they came out to audition. I have no PayPal...but I'm 98% sure were looking at Mangini behind the skins moving forward. I would bet on that.

They may have liked Minneman, and they might have even discussed it with him...and that's how I think the whole "Blabbermouth" rumor made it on the site. I think he was considered, but in the end...Mangini was willing to do whatever it was that Minneman wouldn't.

I'm speculating obviously, but I think...based on everything together, that this may be how it all went down. We'll see.

How is ths a marketing scheme if they're not charging anything for it - the videos will be on Roadrunner's youtube channel for free.

They may be taking longer than most of us expected to reveal the name of the new drummer, but what other band of this carat you know has revealed so much of their team work when choosing a new member? Metallica showed little snippets of the auditions for their new bassist when Trujillo was picked, and that's it...the only one I can remember. And here we are now, DT showing interviews and insights of all the candidates, and the auditions and rehearsals too!!!

Judging by some of the posts on ths thread, I think Portnoy had a point when he wrote the lyrics to Never Enough...

I can't wait to watch part two today when I get home from work today! 1022.gif

By the way, Owl...make sure you post it! tongue.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 27 2011, 07:45 AM)

By the way, Owl...make sure you post it! tongue.gif wink.gif

Please do, mr owl! Can't wait to see ole virg give it a shot! (& others)

Hey, did you guys see mangini play the intro to fatal tragedy WITH ONE FRIGGIN HAND!!! WOW!!! Speed aint everything, but that's just plain magical!!

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 27 2011, 08:51 AM)

By the way, Owl...make sure you post it! tongue.gif  wink.gif

Hey, did you guys see mangini play the intro to fatal tragedy WITH ONE FRIGGIN HAND!!! WOW!!! Speed aint everything, but that's just plain magical!!

YOU DO LIKE THE WHOLE THING!!!! pokey.gif

laugh.gif

It be nice to see Virgil get the gig. He could really push them the extra mile and make the music somewhat interesting. Cause the music is just so boring. It's lacking the it factor. Just my opinion. Marco was great also. He would be interesting. MP's parts were generic sounding to me. The drummer they choose hope they bring a new flava to thier arraingements and sound. These videos are entertaining. And enough of using the word phase. Ok let's move on to phase 3.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Apr 27 2011, 10:32 AM)
Just watched episode 2.

marco's audition looked like it went well yes.gif

He doesn't have the right look, personality, power or charisma. I'll bet you fifty bux marco loses to Mikey. 1287.gif

Minnemann was also excellent. I have a feeling that Mangini and Minnemann are going to be the final two contenders, simply based on the amount of time dedicated to their auditions on the documentary, and by how well they executed the three phases of the audition.

The only factor that really separates them is global proximity, which is why I think Mangini will be given the spot in the end.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 27 2011, 04:09 PM)
The 7 guys are:

Thomas Lang
Marco Minneman
Mike Mangini
Virgil Donati
Achilles Priester
2 other guys I forgot.

Derek Roddy and Peter Wildoer (have no idea who he is) are the other two

I'd be happy with either Mangini or Minneman. Both are excellent and would fit in very well. I didn't like Derek Roddy that much, and I didn't get the impression that the band cared for him. Virgil Donati and Thomas Lang were good too, but I can't picture them with DT. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 27 2011, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 27 2011, 04:09 PM)
The 7 guys are:

Thomas Lang
Marco Minneman
Mike Mangini
Virgil Donati
Achilles Priester
2 other guys I forgot.

Derek Roddy and Peter Wildoer (have no idea who he is) are the other two

I'd go with Donati out of that lot, he's played with Sherinian/Macalpine/Holdsworth/Garsed in Planet X, Neal Schon in Soul Sirkus and he's a top drummer who can play anything but is rock based more than say jazz.

They all amazed me except for the first dude on this 2nd installment. I'll bet me and a couple other drummers here on this forum coulda done as good as that guy. This really is a treat for me as a drummer.

My bassist loves Minneman and I can see why! But he seems more of a progrock guy, and more of a jazz soloist, not a part of a rock group. He stands out so much and I love his enthusiasm. I'm definitely a fan of him now.

Donati and Lang were both amazing. None of them gave me that warm fuzzy feeling like Mangini did. He still seems like he would fit in with the family very nicely...

Did you see that rehearsal studio? Must be nice!!!!

Cheers! martini_shaken.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 27 2011, 07:51 AM)

By the way, Owl...make sure you post it! tongue.gif  wink.gif

You know, I am not the only person capable of copying and pasting links... tongue.gif

but whatever

I still gotta watch this thing later tonight... I have a few errands to do right now.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Apr 26 2011, 05:55 PM)
I was extremely impressed with the names of those who were asked...and that they came out to audition. I have no PayPal...but I'm 98% sure were looking at Mangini behind the skins moving forward. I would bet on that.

They may have liked Minneman, and they might have even discussed it with him...and that's how I think the whole "Blabbermouth" rumor made it on the site. I think he was considered, but in the end...Mangini was willing to do whatever it was that Minneman wouldn't.

I'm speculating obviously, but I think...based on everything together, that this may be how it all went down. We'll see.

I wonder if the new drummer gets equal share for touring/writing credits? I hope the new guy is more than a "hired gun", in other words.

Ok I watched the videos hmmmm interesting.

The second guy appeared to be the least impressive, although there were some sound recording problems, nevertheless he seemed obviously the weakest.

The others were all very good and I suppose it'll come down to band chemistry issues and personal taste. Any of those guys could do the gig, especially given a few months of rehearsal rather than a few hours.