This is an esoteric question

What are some bands that you think have otherworldly chemistry? I’m calling it bands with alchemical powers. I don’t have a full list yet, but some ideas I have are RHCP (especially with John), KC (mainly from Larks’ onward), and Fugazi. I’m thinking like, bands where the music just flows in a kind of totally free way from each player, but also all of them consistently come together to make a powerful whole much greater than the sum of their parts.

sorry, I lost you after 'esoteric' :rofl1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I wanna add in Zeppelin to my list.

I definitely see Yes as a contender. For me they’re a bit fickle though. When they’re on they’re totally doing exactly what I’m talking about, but when they’re just a little off I don’t get that vibe I’m trying to pinpoint. Like, I enjoy Tormato, but I really don’t hear a band on that record that sounds all tuned into the same energy.

• Like 2

Oh, there's a band called RUSH.  If you havent already, you should check them out.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, goose said:

Police. Eagles, Bon era ACDC...

Above all, the Beatles

Idk, to me none of these really get at the thing I’m after. Police probably come closest, but they still don’t sound quite free enough. They feel more like every piece fits in its right place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goose said:

Oh, there's a band called RUSH.  If you havent already, you should check them out.

I’ve been going back and forth with our raison d’etre. On one hand they definitely have some of the most insane chemistry any band has ever had. On the other, they tended to use it as a means to achieve this like perfect, unblemished end, especially by the end of their career. They could play almost any song they’d ever done note for note perfect live as if the studio version had just been recorded live on the floor in one take. I think what I’m kinda getting at is bands that were a little more organic, especially in their live approach, and not so set on perfect reproductions.

• Like 2

Of course that’s all just *my* criteria. Please use your own :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zepphead said:

sorry, I lost you after 'esoteric' :rofl1:

Same here. It's one of those words that I am familiar with but had to look up the meaning to since it's not a word that I use or come across in every day conversation.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

Sounds like the alchemy achieved by Grateful Dead, their roadies and their fans

• Like 2

Just now, goose said:

Hmmm...

Sounds like the alchemy achieved by Grateful Dead, their roadies and their fans

That’s probably true, but I also don’t really listen to much Dead/Allmans/Phish type stuff, so idk for sure. 

• Like 1

Buffalo Springfield was supposed to be that way live.  I've read music histories and histories of LA where people say they were just transcendent live and I can believe it from the talent in the band.  I really like their recordings but from what I've read, the records don't touch the magic they had when performing concerts in their 18 months or whatever short time it was.

Deep Purple Mark II, the classic lineup on Machine Head and especially on Made In Japan gives me that feeling.

Rolling Stones on the Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers recordings with Mick Taylor (or maybe I just love how Keef and Charlie Watts sound on these)

ZZ Top had a huge sound where they sounded awesome together for just three guys that started out with kind of garage band skills and grew.

I had thought of a few more but can't remember, will repost if I do. 

Plus, tough question, we are talking about the transcendent sound of the bands but do we consider the music producers or not, or is the experience mostly our impressions from live shows??

Lol, life is confusing.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

In terms of chemistry within live performances, Rush, Zeppelin, Purple MK2, Slade, Grateful Dead, The Who all spring to mind.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zepphead said:

In terms of chemistry within live performances, Rush, Zeppelin, Purple MK2, Slade, Grateful Dead, The Who all spring to mind.

What about DIO??

• Like 2

19 hours ago, blueschica said:

Buffalo Springfield was supposed to be that way live.  I've read music histories and histories of LA where people say they were just transcendent live and I can believe it from the talent in the band.  I really like their recordings but from what I've read, the records don't touch the magic they had when performing concerts in their 18 months or whatever short time it was.

Deep Purple Mark II, the classic lineup on Machine Head and especially on Made In Japan gives me that feeling.

Rolling Stones on the Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers recordings with Mick Taylor (or maybe I just love how Keef and Charlie Watts sound on these)

ZZ Top had a huge sound where they sounded awesome together for just three guys that started out with kind of garage band skills and grew.

I had thought of a few more but can't remember, will repost if I do. 

Plus, tough question, we are talking about the transcendent sound of the bands but do we consider the music producers or not, or is the experience mostly our impressions from live shows??

Lol, life is confusing.

2384cdb416f077392c54b590087d713f.jpg

• Like 1