What Questions Have You Submitted for Geddy's Book Tour?

Holdyourfireal

Mine: Back in 2005, Peter Lamoureux stated: "We found the footage for the Grace Under Pressure Tour video concert. Down the road when Blue-Ray technology becomes more popular and we are able to extend things out to levels beyond where we are at currently...we can then go back and release the found footage that was not on the original release."

Will this footage (on Blu-Ray) and an audio CD FINALLY be released for 2024's anticipated Grace Under Pressure 40th Anniversary Box Set?

Since the release of the Grace Under Pressure Tour video cassette/laserdisc, I have dreamed of one day owning that entire show on video and audio. I want to be blown away seeing/watching the Red Lenses/Drum Solo, Between the Wheels and many other songs that had been cut. Will my dream be fulfilled?

I understand Geddy is not a "look back" guy and he's always looking forward to the next project. I also know Anthem (Ole') controls these things these days BUT I would think this has been discussed with Geddy and Alex and I'd love if Geddy could shed some light on what he knows?

I realize 2024 is the 50th Anniversary of the band and there may be all kinds of plans afoot but there's a lot of Post Terry Brown Era fans that have been salivating at the hope of a comprehensive Grace Under Pressure 40th Anniversary Box Set!

Thank you for your time and good luck on the book tour!

PS: I understand two unreleased songs from the My Favorite Headache sessions will be available this Tuesday. Will there be anywhere to download those in high quality FLAC format or are they only going to be available in lossy MP3 and or streaming?

I want the rest of that footage as much as anyone and it doesn’t hurt to ask about it, but I’m pretty sure that “found the footage” article, which I remember well, was one of those Douglas Maher interviews that was faked.

Also, doesn’t hurt to try anyway, but I feel confident Geddy would just say “I don’t know anything about reissue plans, other people handle that.”

But hey, best of luck. I would kill for all

that cut footage from the three 80s concert videos if I could get it.

Edited to add: I always found it strange that holding off for Blu-ray (from that interview) to release a 100 minute concert shot on videotape made any sense.

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 2

Here's the found footage interview from 2005: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

- I know Doug Maher is not well liked by many in Rush fandom but why does anyone think this interview is "faked?"

- I do expect, if Geddy even responds to me, that his answer will be that Anthem/Ole has a team that handles that, Alex is usually consulted about those things, blah, blah, blah. I mean, here's a guy that said Ben Mink found his two unreleased songs as if he totally forgot they existed. Haha. So, I don't have much hope of getting a satisfying answer.

To be clear, I don’t have any first hand info that that particular article was faked, I just remember that it was definitely him that many people here and elsewhere were making confident statements that he had made things up. Maybe someone with more details can clarify.

I hope it was real obviously, and as I said, I want any and all footage we can get from any era but that GUP concert in particular means so much to me. I really became a hardcore fan during 1984 and after finally getting a copy of ESL by the end of that year I was obsessed over it.

So when sometime (in 1985, I guess) a friend of mine (who was a very casual Rush fan) called me on a Saturday night to tell me a Rush concert was on MTV I literally said “ok thanks for telling me but I already have it on tape” and ignored it. Like half an hour later I go to my room and figured I’d turn it on while doing other stuff and did about 3 double takes soaking in the fact that it was brand new footage. then I cursed myself for not turning it on right away because I only caught the last 15 minutes or so.

So it ended and that was it. There was no way to find out where it came from or if I could buy it somewhere or what they played or anything. It’s almost hard to imagine pre-internet days now. 

It seemed like it was just from weird dream for probably a full year until I luckily and randomly saw it for sale on VHS in a record store one day. I think I literally jumped up and down.

So trust me, I want more of it like crazy. I’m just keeping my expectations very low. 

I hadn’t even really thought about the 50th anniversary much. With the ongoing 40th anniversary boxes I can’t imagine they’ll release any other audio or video media next year but I’ll be up for it if they do. 

Meant to say, I realize this footage would potentially be part of the GUP 40th box. I just meant in general I wonder if it’s even possible that there will be any other audio or video for the 50th..

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snowdog2112 said:

To be clear, I don’t have any first hand info that that particular article was faked, I just remember that it was definitely him that many people here and elsewhere were making confident statements that he had made things up. Maybe someone with more details can clarify.

I hope it was real obviously, and as I said, I want any and all footage we can get from any era but that GUP concert in particular means so much to me. I really became a hardcore fan during 1984 and after finally getting a copy of ESL by the end of that year I was obsessed over it.

So when sometime (in 1985, I guess) a friend of mine (who was a very casual Rush fan) called me on a Saturday night to tell me a Rush concert was on MTV I literally said “ok thanks for telling me but I already have it on tape” and ignored it. Like half an hour later I go to my room and figured I’d turn it on while doing other stuff and did about 3 double takes soaking in the fact that it was brand new footage. then I cursed myself for not turning it on right away because I only caught the last 15 minutes or so.

So it ended and that was it. There was no way to find out where it came from or if I could buy it somewhere or what they played or anything. It’s almost hard to imagine pre-internet days now. 

It seemed like it was just from weird dream for probably a full year until I luckily and randomly saw it for sale on VHS in a record store one day. I think I literally jumped up and down.

So trust me, I want more of it like crazy. I’m just keeping my expectations very low. 

I hadn’t even really thought about the 50th anniversary much. With the ongoing 40th anniversary boxes I can’t imagine they’ll release any other audio or video media next year but I’ll be up for it if they do. 

Meant to say, I realize this footage would potentially be part of the GUP 40th box. I just meant in general I wonder if it’s even possible that there will be any other audio or video for the 50th..

Unfortunately, I think they are going to ignore Grace & do some 50th Anniversary thing of the band. Hope I'm wrong.

29 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

Being greedy, I want both, haha! I don’t have any info but for what it’s worth there is someone on the GUP 40th thread that says he knows someone at the label and it is definitely coming. Again, that’s him, not me, saying that.

Do you have a link to that thread???

39 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

Being greedy, I want both, haha! I don’t have any info but for what it’s worth there is someone on the GUP 40th thread that says he knows someone at the label and it is definitely coming. Again, that’s him, not me, saying that.

Found the link. Is he a trustworthy source?

I want to submit a question, but I want it to be a good one, and I really don't know what to ask.  I have total option paralysis...

There are a lot of things I want to know about, but most of them are technical or production-related, and Ged would either be uninterested in answering them, or pissed off by being asked.  Mostly I just want to beg him for a copy of the VT multi-tracks so I can remix it myself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I tried to come up with something that would have a broader appeal figuring it would have a better chance of getting chosen.

Is P/G 40 going to not suck?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really wish I knew I could submit a question. Too late now, looks like it has to be submitted by 5pm the night before, and the Boston show is tomorrow. Is there a guarantee that all questions will even be answered?

Edited by Charlotte7598
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Charlotte7598 said:

I really wish I knew I could submit a question. Too late now, looks like it has to be submitted by 5pm the night before, and the Boston show is tomorrow. Is there a guarantee that all questions will even be answered?

Friends at the Nrw York show said he only answered about 5 or 6 questions, so I'm thinking no, in person anyway. Not sure if he might address them some other place sometime, like an ask me anything? 

50 minutes ago, Charlotte7598 said:

No, he's choosing the ones he wants to answer beforehand.  Which makes sense - there are certain boneheaded segments of the Rush fanbase who would just ask stupid things like, "How come everything you wrote after 1976 is so shitty?"

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:10 PM, snowdog2112 said:

I want the rest of that footage as much as anyone and it doesn’t hurt to ask about it, but I’m pretty sure that “found the footage” article, which I remember well, was one of those Douglas Maher interviews that was faked.

Also, doesn’t hurt to try anyway, but I feel confident Geddy would just say “I don’t know anything about reissue plans, other people handle that.”

But hey, best of luck. I would kill for all

that cut footage from the three 80s concert videos if I could get it.

Edited to add: I always found it strange that holding off for Blu-ray (from that interview) to release a 100 minute concert shot on videotape made any sense.

Also, there has been NO supporting evidence since that time. NONE

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:23 PM, Holdyourfireal said:

Here's the found footage interview from 2005: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

- I know Doug Maher is not well liked by many in Rush fandom but why does anyone think this interview is "faked?"

- I do expect, if Geddy even responds to me, that his answer will be that Anthem/Ole has a team that handles that, Alex is usually consulted about those things, blah, blah, blah. I mean, here's a guy that said Ben Mink found his two unreleased songs as if he totally forgot they existed. Haha. So, I don't have much hope of getting a satisfying answer.

Well, he insisted consistently (without evidence) in the years prior to that quote (maybe it's still available on the alt.music.rush internet archive if there is one.) that all of the footage not used in the those three videos was just sitting untouched in the vault. Then it shows up in that article years later about R30.

Since then there has not been ANY supporting evidence for this. Usually in cases like these you can find more than one reference. (Such as for when Different Stages was released there was supposed to be a video release but they ran into tech-syncing problems and it was later scrapped Some of this footage was eventually released on the R40 box in 2014.)

Yeah. I hate it as much as anyone, and I hope to someday have to say I was wrong, but I’m confident that we’ll never see any of the remaining footage from those concert videos. 

I just think it has something to do with how they were produced at the time, no thought was given to an expanded release decades later. And I’m talking about all concert videos of that era, not just Rush. As someone who started collecting concert videos in the 80s and has bought every upgraded one on DVD or Blu-ray as they’ve come out it’s been mostly a consistent thing that they’re re-released as they were. 

There ARE a few exceptions (The Police’s Synchronicity show has a few bonus songs and Yes’ 9012Live added Roundabout) but they’re pretty rare, and even when some extra footage is included it’s virtually always attached as a bonus and not reintegrated into the show because usually the quality doesn’t match. But the vast majority of the re-releases, which were all edited down back in the day, are still as they were. Van Halen’s Live Without a Net, Judas Priest Live, The Scorpions, The Who, etc. are all the same abbreviated shows.

i think generally the thinking was very short term, and whatever footage that was edited out at the time was either trashed on the spot or else was set aside and ignored and just deteriorated over time or lost.

Hoping to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1

There was NO thought that 30 some years later there might be a demand to have this stuff. The music video format for most of that was no more than 75 minutes to 90 for decent quality video. It was edited for production and the rest was forgotten about maybe saved but not well preserved. This stuff was not considered like an Oscar worthy film, it was just music.  Who knew?  Anything that survived (like the Laura Secord footage (which was never filmed for release at that time) is just random luck.