Napoleon - starring Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ridley Scott

Principled Man

I'm looking forward to it. Often I say I'll go see something in the theater only to be lazy and stream it later on my 70" with a nice bottle of wine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Is he short enough? 

According to pre–metric system French measures, he was a diminutive 5′2.”  However, the French inch ("pouce") of the time was 2.7 cm, while the Imperial inch was shorter, at 2.54 cm.

Three French sources—his valet Constant, General Gourgaud, and his personal physician Francesco Antommarchi—said that Napoleon's height was just over ‘5 pieds 2 pouces’ (5’2”).   Applying the French measurements of the time, that equals around 1.67 meters, or just under 5’6”, which is a little above average for a French man in the early 1800s.

https://www.history.com/news/napoleon-complex-short

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chemistry1973 said:

I will see it but it looks to be severely historically wrong.

The story is supposedly his career through the eyes of his relationship with Josephine, so it may be quite fictional.      

Edited by Principled Man

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

According to pre–metric system French measures, he was a diminutive 5′2.”  However, the French inch ("pouce") of the time was 2.7 cm, while the Imperial inch was shorter, at 2.54 cm.

Three French sources—his valet Constant, General Gourgaud, and his personal physician Francesco Antommarchi—said that Napoleon's height was just over ‘5 pieds 2 pouces’ (5’2”).   Applying the French measurements of the time, that equals around 1.67 meters, or just under 5’6”, which is a little above average for a French man in the early 1800s.

https://www.history.com/news/napoleon-complex-short

Yeah, it would be in their interest to make Napolean as tall as possible. :wink: In fact, I just found a source where he's listed at 5'7''.  'The Little Corporal' title still remains. 

Edited by blackhawkrush