Goose ranks (on?) the 165-Song RUSH Catalog!

goose

Well, here it is.  My ranking of RUSH's full 165-song studio catalog.  In preparation I re-visited every album, at least in part, rating each song it contained and giving a longer listen to the songs I traditionally have liked the least in order to give them a fair shake.  Some songs climbed the ranking as a result. 

I also spent a fair amount of time watching YouTube vids like this of groups of RUSH fans ranking their favorite and least-liked albums.  I found those discussions interesting, and a common theme seemed to be that one's rankings of albums and the songs within them often depends on when and how a person became a fan.  In that spirit, I'll share my love-of-RUSH history as my list unfolds. 

I'll gladly  start with a song I absolutely hated upon hearing its first note. 

:ranton:

How the band I had grown to love could put out something this dismal baffled me.  The keyboard playing was absolute shit.  The lyrics were trite.  The guitar work was banal.  And it was so stupidly short I couldn't imagine why it was even included on the album - an album with such a great title, such amazing artwork.  Re-visiting it for the ranking process has confirmed one thing:  This song is a crime against prog-rock humanity.   

:rantoff:

165.  Madrigal  

• Like 7

I'll bet the extended re-listen was difficult for you, and I thank you for giving up your time in sacrifice to keeping these rankings going.

I'll bet the rewards of discovering the positives you missed were greater than the pain of revisiting Madrigal, though, right?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mosher said:

I'll bet the extended re-listen was difficult for you, and I thank you for giving up your time in sacrifice to keeping these rankings going.

I'll bet the rewards of discovering the positives you missed were greater than the pain of revisiting Madrigal, though, right?

Very much so.  RUSH music is special, that's something these threads and diving into the ranking process myself has confirmed for me.

• Like 4

On "Youtube", I've watched some videos from "Sea of Tranquility", and what I've seen, I like them.  How much I like "A Farewell to Kings" c.d., and album, "Madrigal", is bottom four as the worst on my list.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

"We love who we love", the saying goes.  Over the years I've spent on TRF both of these songs have had praise heaped upon them by members, and I've sat and wondered what it was I was missing.  With the  first one I tried and tried to hear what it was our dear Lorraine (:rose:) loved about the song, to no avail.  The other I didn't really try, nor shall I ever.    :tongue:

Joining Goose's list of the Ten Most Expungeable RUSH Songs are...

164. The Speed of Love

163. The Color of Right

• Like 2

I have Madrigal 155th.
Speed of Love 153rd.

...but I have The Color of Right 48th.

I'm not sure where the disagreement is, but I clearly see a fundamental difference between two of your bottom three and the Color of Right. 

Oh well, that's why we aren't doing just one list. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mosher said:

I have Madrigal 155th.
Speed of Love 153rd.

...but I have The Color of Right 48th.

I'm not sure where the disagreement is, but I clearly see a fundamental difference between two of your bottom three and the Color of Right. 

Oh well, that's why we aren't doing just one list. 

I have Color of Right at #152. I like the line "You're so full of what is right, you can't see what is true," but the rest of the lyrics aren't hitting me in any way, and musically it's pretty mundane. It's a song that gets skipped 99 times out of 100.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I have Color of Right at #152. I like the line "You're so full of what is right, you can't see what is true," but the rest of the lyrics aren't hitting me in any way, and musically it's pretty mundane. It's a song that gets skipped 99 times out of 100.

Great point, because it's that very line that propels it so high for me. Love the delivery, too. I'm very critical of Geddy's vocal choices at times. I love how he sings this one. But if not for that part of the song, it would be a lot lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mosher said:

Great point, because it's that very line that propels it so high for me. Love the delivery, too. I'm very critical of Geddy's vocal choices at times. I love how he sings this one. But if not for that part of the song, it would be a lot lower.

I just re-read the lyrics and...beyond that line, they're just not good.  But it's amazing how how Geddy can sell a song.  His voice in that era - Presto through T4E - was fantastic.

• Like 3

OK, let's get this out of the way.  Here's the rest of Goose's list of Ten RUSH That Would Not Be Missed Had They Never Been Recorded.  All of these are, for me, a consequence of the CD era, where RUSH albums had 12 or more songs instead of 6 to 8.  All these songs do is drag down their respective albums by taking fortune cookie-worthy ideas and stretching them into song-length musings set to the most forgettable music of RUSH's career.  Those songs are:

162.  Virtuality 

161.  Everyday Glory

160.  YouBet Your Life

159.  Carve Away the Stone

158.  Wish Them Well

157.  Halo Effect

156.  Bravest Face

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goose said:

162.  Virtuality 

161.  Everyday Glory

160.  YouBet Your Life

158.  Wish Them Well

157.  Halo Effect

156.  Bravest Face

Of your bottom 10, only Bravest Face is in my bottom ten. That's not a good song. 
Madrigal is in my bottom 11, and Speed of Love is in my bottom 13, though, so that's pretty close for them.

I like all of those other bottom 10 songs, although Virtuality, Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and Everyday Glory do not make my top 90. 

You Bet Your Life I have at 80, but the absolutely silly moments in that song for some stupid reason appeal to me. I guess they appealed to the band as well. But I get the dislike, or even downright disdain, others have. It may be lyrically weak, but not like Need Some Love, which you don't have listed. In fairness to that, I guess, is that first album can NEVER be accused of failing to rock. Which is a fair concern for some of that 90's Rush. 

Carve Away the Stone is a good song, though. I have it 60th. It's a bit of a saccharine sedative, I suppose- but not like Tears, which you don't have listed. 

At least you haven't hurt any of my top 40 songs yet! 

Keep them coming, I'm really curious when you'll hurt something I really love :)

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:57 PM, goose said:

I just re-read the lyrics and...beyond that line, they're just not good.  But it's amazing how "Geddy", can sell a song.  His voice in that era - Presto (1989) through Test For Echo (1996) - was fantastic.

With Rush's "Test For Echo Tour" being their first without an opening, and a backup band, group, and artist, maybe, it's one reason why "Geddy", "Alex", and "Neil" sounded so well, and looked tight as ever.  On, and from "Counterparts", "Snakes & Arrows", and "Clockwork Angels", I've had "the Speed of Love", "Bravest Face", and "Halo Effect" as their lowest songs.  "You Bet Your Life", is bottom ten on my list.  If anyone hasn't been following, so far, here is Goose (Allen)'s list.

156. Bravest Face, song #10/13, "Snakes & Arrows (2007)"

157. Halo Effect, song #6/12, "Clockwork Angels (2012)"

158. Wish Them Well, song #11/12, "Clockwork Angels (2012)"

159. Carve Away the Stone, song #11/11, "Test For Echo (1996)"

160. You Bet Your Life, song #10/10, "Roll the Bones (1991)"

161. Everyday Glory, song #11/11, "Counterparts (1993)"

162. Virtuality, song #8/11, "Test For Echo (1996)"

163. the Color of Right, song #4/11, "Test For Echo (1996)"

164. the Speed of Love, song #7/11, "Counterparts (1993)"

165. Madrigal, song #5/6, "A Farewell to Kings (1977)"

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek19 said:

With Rush's "Test For Echo Tour" being their first without an opening, and a backup band, and group, maybe, it's one reason why "Geddy", "Alex", and "Neil" sounded so well, and looked tight as ever.  On, and from "Counterparts", "Snakes & Arrows", and "Clockwork Angels", I've had "the Speed of Love", "Bravest Face", and "Halo Effect" as their lowest songs.

T4E was a killer tour, the best I've seen of theirs.  And I love the drumming video Neil put out for it, A Work In Progress.  I actually enjoy every T4E song in that context.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, goose said:

OK, let's get this out of the way.  Here's the rest of Goose's list of Ten RUSH That Would Not Be Missed Had They Never Been Recorded.  All of these are, for me, a consequence of the CD era, where RUSH albums had 12 or more songs instead of 6 to 8.  All these songs do is drag down their respective albums by taking fortune cookie-worthy ideas and stretching them into song-length musings set to the most forgettable music of RUSH's career.  Those songs are:

162.  Virtuality 

161.  Everyday Glory

160.  YouBet Your Life

158.  Wish Them Well

157.  Halo Effect

156.  Bravest Face

When you throw out a bunch all at once you know there's going to be disagreements. 'Virtuality' is great apart from the chorus. 'You Bet Your Life' and 'Carve Away the Stone' are similar, both having interesting aspects, nice lyric choice and a great solo respectively. 'Wish Them Well' and 'Halo Effect' are a part of the whole story making the listener think about the entire work. 'Bravest Face' has a cool sing-along feel to it. 'Everyday Glory' is one of those tear-jerkers Rush has become famous for, although in this case, a bit popish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

When you throw out a bunch all at once you know there's going to be disagreements. 'Virtuality' is great apart from the chorus. 'You Bet Your Life' and 'Carve Away the Stone' are similar, both having interesting aspects, nice lyric choice and a great solo respectively. 'Wish Them Well' and 'Halo Effect' are a part of the whole story making the listener think about the entire work. 'Bravest Face' has a cool sing-along feel to it. 'Everyday Glory' is one of those tear-jerkers Rush has become famous for, although in this case, a bit popish. 

A bit?  In the same way Boy George's 80s persona was a bit gay.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, goose said:

A bit?  In the same way Boy George's 80s persona was a bit gay.

Yes, but the message is powerful, although I'm not agreeing with Hillary's vision of 'It takes a village' mind you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Yes, but the message is powerful, 

Neil had a lot of those kinds of songs in the second half of RUSH's albums, good ideas for social commentary that didn't quite translate to good songs for the band.

No matter what fans say. :tongue:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goose said:

Neil had a lot of those kinds of songs in the second half of RUSH's albums, good ideas for social commentary that didn't quite translate to good songs for the band.

No matter what fans say. :tongue:

I'm sure we'd all like them to sound like 'Natural Science'.  :wink:

• Haha 1