Hollywood Reporter Critics Pick the 50 Best TV Shows of the 21st Century

JohnRogers

Over the course of a few months, several Zoom meetings, lots of emails and countless Excel spreadsheets, three THR TV critics joined forces to hash out, and rank, what they consider the greatest shows since 2000.

I used this to make my own list What To Watch Next. I've seen two season of Reservation Dogs and I'm amazed how high it placed. Friday Night Lights keeps coming up everywhere I go.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/best-tv-shows-21st-century/sex-and-the-city-hbo-1998-2004/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I would have put The Wire at #1, but #5 ain't too bad.

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

And then I saw Mad Men was #1.  WTF?

5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Better Call Saul #7??? Breaking Bad is #16???

This list is BULLSHIT!

Agreed, The Wire someone in the top five is warranted. I really liked Mad Men so some where in the top ten feels right to me. Many other lists put Breaking Bad somewhere in the top three, no way that Reservations Dogs is a better show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnRogers said:

Agreed, The Wire someone in the top five is warranted. I really liked Mad Men so some where in the top ten feels right to me. Many other lists put Breaking Bad somewhere in the top three, no way that Reservations Dogs is a better show.

I can't disagree with The Sopranos at #2.

Many would say Breaking Bad should be #1.  But I think Better Call Saul was even better.

Others would put The Sopranos at #1, claiming that without that show, shows like The Wire wouldn't have been possible.  But just because a show blows the door open to a new type of TV experience, doesn't mean that nothing that comes after it can be better.

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I can't disagree with The Sopranos at #2.

Many would say Breaking Bad should be #1.  But I think Better Call Saul was even better.

Others would put The Sopranos at #1, claiming that without that show, shows like The Wire wouldn't have been possible.  But just because a show blows the door open to a new type of TV experience, doesn't mean that nothing that comes after it can be better.

Depending on the list often The Sopranos or Breaking Bad are in the top two. Just from foggy memory I'd guess The Sopranos had more garbage episodes than BB.

Better Call Saul better? I dunno, I mean Kim Wexler in her attorney power skirt and heels is nice.

Agreed on that final point.

14 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

The Wire & The Sopranos are the only 2 shows I've seen on this list.

Well now you need to check out Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul - in that order.

• Like 1

As someone who grew up in the Pomona Valley and went to college in the San Gabriel Valley, it was nice to see the underrated Crazy Ex Girlfriend on that list.  West Covina represent!  Great musical numbers as well by the late Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne.  Got into Freaks and Geeks 5 years ago on Netflix and loved it.

Arrested Development, Party Down, Veronica Mars and Community should have been there.  I'm shocked AD isn't there since it's quite iconic.

• Like 1

I haven't seen most of those and haven't even heard of a few of them but I can't critique the ranking because like all of these things it's just an opinion. 

Just like some people say Test For Echo isn't as good as Caress of Steel but there's no objective way to prove that. 

On 10/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, Turbine Freight said:

The Wire & The Sopranos are the only 2 shows I've seen on this list.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, JohnRogers said:

:explode:

23 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

Not much of a TV watcher.

1 hour ago, Turbine Freight said:

No joke I showed my wife this list & she's basically seen them all. She watches a lot  of TV.

Probably because she's married to me.

:LOL:

On 10/10/2023 at 5:12 PM, custom55 said:

** Six Feet Under should be on the list

I accidentally found out "SFU" makes people viscerally upset. 

For most it's the setting (a funeral home) but some also hate the topics covered in the series.

Which is fair, most people watch TV for escapism, and being confronted with those things is often not a "good time."

Edited by BigMontanaSKY