_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

21 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

120. “Lakeside Park”, Track 3/5 (4:07), Caress Of Steel (1975)

Caress Of Steel - Entry 2 out of 5

One of the rare mellow tunes that we hardly ever get from Rush. Something about this one really has always seemed odd to me. However, I am not the biggest fan of how Geddy's voice bounces off the the somewhat lackluster instrumentation that does not blend all too well. It does have some amazing drum fills, so it's not completely lackluster - that's for sure. I don't much mind Peart's nostalgic lyrics about his past carnival jobs, but maybe this could've been saved for a much different album...? I hate to say this, but this feels so out of place on an album like Caress Of Steel, especially right before a song like "The Necromancer" (but "I Think I'm Going Bald" justifies its placement, right?).

Previously on my list...

121. “Good News First”, Track 11/13 (4:51)  - Entry 6/13, Snakes & Arrows (2007)

120. “Lakeside Park”, Track 3/5 (4:07) - Entry 2/5, Caress Of Steel (1975)

How is this album doing?

5. “I Think I’m Going Bald”, Track 2/5 (3:41) - #146/173

4. “Lakeside Park”, Track 3/5 (4:07) - #120/173

No. Just no.  Port Dalihouse is top 100.   This is such a beautiful song. 

What are you doing man????? :P

I'm telling you now...if The Necromancer isn't in the top 30, I am going to write a strongly worded memo to a higher office.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lakeside Park is in my bottom 24 songs. It's in last place off Caress- below I Think I'm Going Bald.
I don't hate it- I love Rush and I am fine with most of their least listenable tracks. 

But I don't like his vocals on this at all. 

Musically it's fine, lyrically it's pretty good. Vocals....no. 

But I know this one is loved that my opinion is unusual among Rush fans. I'm surprised you have it this low mainly because so many love it. 

Edited by Mosher
Overly redundant.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

One of the rare mellow tunes that we hardly ever get from Rush. Something about this one really has always seemed odd to me. However, I am not the biggest fan of how Geddy's voice bounces off the the somewhat lackluster instrumentation that does not blend all too well. It does have some amazing drum fills, so it's not completely lackluster - that's for sure. I don't much mind Peart's nostalgic lyrics about his past carnival jobs, but maybe this could've been saved for a much different album...? I hate to say this, but this feels so out of place on an album like Caress Of Steel, especially right before a song like "The Necromancer" (but "I Think I'm Going Bald" justifies its placement, right?).

Previously on my list...

121. “Good News First”, Track 11/13 (4:51)  - Entry 6/13, Snakes & Arrows (2007)

How is this album doing?

I love this one -- I don't think of the lyrics as simple nostalgia, but the more complicated "melancholy," and the music seems suitable. It's a song about youth and what makes it special is that it's temporary. When Geddy sings "the magic was fading every year" I think about all those visits to the county fair (where I bought things like a Rush-etched mirror) and how it was great at 13 and tedious by 17; that same experience happens in so many ways.

So this seems low.

Having said that, it probably is the fourth-strongest song on that album, and I'm not sure yet what it should be swapped with any higher up, so maybe this will seem about right. We'll withhold judgement and seeking a re-placement order until further developments unfold. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

"One of the rare mellow tunes that we hardly ever get from Rush."

I wouldn't describe this song as mellow, not at all. It has some mellow moments, certainly, but the verses have that jangly Led Zep rock thing going on, and Alex's solo is pretty good for early Alex. It's a Closer To The Heart-type of song that's easily digestible and has a little bit of everything. It's a song that I never seek out but won't skip if it comes up. The ranking seems about right.

• Like 2

119. “Carnies”, Track 5/12 (4:53), Clockwork Angels (2012)

Clockwork Angels - Entry 3 out of 12

Speaking of carnivals... here's a track found in the middle of Clockwork Angels where the band goes full on Rage Against The Machine mode - it's quite heavy! Should I also not forget how great Geddy's singing is on this album - oh man, just how he wails on these tracks!. However, this isn't the most structurally sound track from the album, and I certainly don't put this one on repeat often unless I am listening to the full album. There's definitely better tracks to come from this beautiful career-closing album.

Previously on my list...

121. “Good News First”, Track 11/13 (4:51)  - Entry 6/13, Snakes & Arrows (2007)
119. “Carnies”, Track 5/12 (4:53) - Entry 3/12, Clockwork Angels (2012)

How is this album holding up?

12. “BU2B2”, Track 10/12 (1:28) - #167/173
11. ”Halo Effect”, Track 6/12 (3:14) - #128/173
10. “Carnies”, Track 5/12 (4:53) - #119/173

• Like 2

Carnies is my third favorite off this fantastic closing album. It's the first top 40 sing you've killed from my list (number 40). 

So it's no middle of the road number for me. Glad you agree about the album. What a way to finish!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

No, no, no..  Respectfully disagree with this one.  Top 100 song here.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

Speaking of carnivals... here's a track found in the middle of Clockwork Angels where the band goes full on Rage Against The Machine mode - it's quite heavy! Should I also not forget how great Geddy's singing is on this album - oh man, just how he wails on these tracks!. However, this isn't the most structurally sound track from the album, and I certainly don't put this one on repeat often unless I am listening to the full album. There's definitely better tracks to come from this beautiful career-closing album.

Previously on my list...

121. “Good News First”, Track 11/13 (4:51)  - Entry 6/13, Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Respectfully must disagree strenuously with this one as well.  This song is much worse than Halo Effect.  At least for me it is.  Should be ranked much lower.  For me, up until Halo Effect the album is basically unlistenable.  Is this song better than most of the material from VT?  Yes.  But thats not saying much (IMO).  But I don't have the songs before Halo Effect on CA above much else.  So it would be much lower on my list.  

Now I see why you said the next few might get interesting.  Your picks did generate some disagreement.

Keep this coming.  BTW - glad to see you feeling better.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

Yeah. They tried.   In the grand scheme of things ..yeah. I agree with this placement.  Not a bad song, not an outstanding song. 

I wonder if there was ever a Carnival in Lakeside Park...... 

• Like 2

118. “Take A Friend”, Track 3/8 (4:27), Rush (1974)

Rush - Entry 3 out of 8

Ah, now here's something more interesting from the debut! Though it may have some of my least favorite lyrics from the album, it definitely has a 70's Ted Nugent sound to it that makes this song a bit worthwhile (even though Nugent may not be the greatest person ever, he's got some killer albums back in the day). Cool intro, and of course - Alex steals the show throughout the whole album. This also would've been one of the mid-tier cuts if Nugent did this.

I guess we are getting towards the middle-of-the-road part of the list where I say "oh, this song is totally good, but there's even better stuff on the way". There's gonna be some controversial choices coming up, fair warning...

Previously on my list...

118. “Take A Friend”, Track 3/8 (4:27) - Entry 3/8, Rush (1974)

How is this album doing?

8. “Need Some Love”, Track 2/8 (2:16) - #153/173
7. “Here Again”, Track 4/8 (7:30) - #140/173
6. “Take A Friend”, Track 3/8 (4:27) - #118/173

• Like 1

Take A Friend is my second favorite off the debut- and yes the lyrics aren't good. That's one of the calling cards of the whole debut album. The other is pure fire from Alex. 

For whatever reason, the music here lifts this one above all non-Working Man songs off that debut.

It's still only 128th on my list. Damn near where you have it, even if for you it's 6th off the debut and for me it's second. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Rush - Entry 3 out of 8

Ah, now here's something more interesting from the debut! Though it may have some of my least favorite lyrics from the album, it definitely has a 70's Ted Nugent sound to it that makes this song a bit worthwhile (even though Nugent may not be the greatest person ever, he's got some killer albums back in the day). Cool intro, and of course - Alex steals the show throughout the whole album. This also would've been one of the mid-tier cuts if Nugent did this.

I guess we are getting towards the middle-of-the-road part of the list where I say "oh, this song is totally good, but there's even better stuff on the way". There's gonna be some controversial choices coming up, fair warning...

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

No major disagreement here.  Its a decent song but nothing I am wild about.

Controversial choices coming?  Looking forward to them.  That warning has me salivating (in an intellectual sort of way).

• Like 1

I've been following this list for awhile now and I've been wondering 

Naturally my own feelings will influence my ideas below.

First album to be finished off (mercilessly executed Mortal Kombat style? ): My first prediction would be Test For Echo, but some of the stronger tracks on that album might allow to survive against Presto or some surprise contender

Last album to be broken in: Gotta be Moving Pictures, right? It's just too strong! 

And I'll admit it here and now (some of you who know my history will be gobsmacked!) - "Red Barchetta" has kinda been growing on me recently :blink:

Will all albums be "broken in" before any are finished off? - I think NO. 

Most songs in Top Ten - Again, I'm predicting Moving Pictures. 

Longest streak (most songs in a row) - Just for fun, let's say Grace Under Pressure :tongue:

How many 9 minute+ songs in Top Ten - I'll call it here and say 3 - I predict at least the full 2112, but won't commit to any others just yet

And of course I'm happy to be completely wrong about all of this, plus it's all in good fun :clap::7up:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Slime said:

And I'll admit it here and now (some of you who know my history will be gobsmacked!) - "Red Barchetta" has kinda been growing on me recently :blink:

Are you like me on Red Barchetta?
I thought I was alone in this one. To me Red Barchetta is easily the weakest track off Moving Pictures. 
It's 107th on my list. 

Still a great song, but Moving Pictures is a great album. And at 107 that means it's grown on me as well. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Rush - Entry 3 out of 8

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

One of my least favorite from the debut. Can't argue with the ranking here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slime said:

4 hours ago, Mosher said:

Are you like me on Red Barchetta?
I thought I was alone in this one. To me Red Barchetta is easily the weakest track off Moving Pictures. 
It's 107th on my list. 

Still a great song, but Moving Pictures is a great album. And at 107 that means it's grown on me as well. 

I'm toying with the idea of making a list, and I know right off the bat that Red Barchetta would be in my top-20, easily. Again, that's a credit to this band that their fans can rank their songs at completely different positions.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

One of my least favorite from the debut. Can't argue with the ranking here.

One thing useful from the debut is that Geddy it shows how much more concise with his lyrics than Neil.    No need to shoehorn phrases about threats to his masculinity into tge song, just simply "take yourself a friend...whether woman or man, makes ya feel so good"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

One thing useful from the debut is that Geddy it shows how much more concise with his lyrics than Neil.    No need to shoehorn phrases about threats to his masculinity into tge song, just simply "take yourself a friend...whether woman or man, makes ya feel so good"

Gotta give Geddy credit, he went from writing meathead rock lyrics like that to the thoughtful ones he wrote for Different Strings. That's a pretty decent level of maturation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Gotta give Geddy credit, he went from writing meathead rock lyrics like that to the thoughtful ones he wrote for Different Strings. That's a pretty decent level of maturation.

I think he wrote lyrics in that debut because they felt someone had to. I think they just wanted to jam. 

I think Neil brought him around to caring about it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Rush - Entry 3 out of 8

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

I've got a real soft spot and love for the first album. i don't think there's a bad song on it.  Fun songs written by talented kids, and a couple of hard hitting classics.  Having said that, in the context of all things Rush - I think this is a fair ranking for Take a Friend.

John Rutsey - RIP.  We shouldn't ever forget his contributions to the early days of the band, and what he added to this record.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

117. “Lessons”, Track 4/6 (3:51), 2112 (1976)

2112 - Entry 1 out of 6

Our first 2112 entry is the one where Alex gets his hands on whole songwriting credits! Problem is, you can tell that Alex is not very comfortable writing lyrics accompanied with music. I know that this is a reflection of Alex's never giving up on his dreams as a kid, but the lyrics are quite pedestrian to include on an album like 2112, especially with lyrics that include "Sweet memories flashing very quickly by/Reminding me and giving me a reason why/I know that my goal is more than a thought/I'll be there when I teach what I've been taught". It's not quite a callback to the debut, so I'll give it that - but I hear this as a leftover from Fly By Night. Shame that I haven't yet shared my thoughts on the instrumentation, because it has a great fade-in intro, groovin' bass and screechy guitars.

Previously on my list...

117. “Lessons”, Track 4/6 (3:51) - Entry 1/6, 2112 (1976)

How is this album doing?

6. “Lessons”, Track 4/6 (3:51) - #117/173

• Like 1