_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

131. "The Seeker", Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 6 out of 8

While I still hold the opinion that this would've sounded much better if they recorded this in 1975 rather in 2004 where it sounds like Vapor Trails - this one is still a bit fun to listen to, even though they don't do much to improve the song at all. Tasty Lifeson riff.

How is this album holding up?
8. “Seven and Seven Is” (#168/173)
7. “For What It’s Worth” (#161/173)
6. “Shapes of Things” (#156/173)
5. “Mr. Soul” (#151/173)
4. “Crossroads” (#145/173)
3. “The Seeker” (#131/173)

55 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

131. "The Seeker", Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 6 out of 8

While I still hold the opinion that this would've sounded much better if they recorded this in 1975 rather in 2004 where it sounds like Vapor Trails - this one is still a bit fun to listen to, even though they don't do much to improve the song at all. Tasty Lifeson riff.

8. “Seven and Seven Is” (#168/173)
7. “For What It’s Worth” (#161/173)
6. “Shapes of Things” (#156/173)
5. “Mr. Soul” (#151/173)
4. “Crossroads” (#145/173)
3. “The Seeker” (#131/173)

I'm looking at you, you're looking at me,

What the hell isn't this song higher in rankings?

• Haha 1

130. "Ceiling Unlimited", Vapor Trails (2002)

Vapor Trails - Entry 4 out of 13

A pumping, straightforward rocker that follows the roaring opener "One Little Victory", a triumphant return to the music world. The main riff is oddly reminiscent of U2's "I Will Follow", but is still a banger.

Previously on my list...

131. “The Seeker” - 6/8, Feedback (2004)

130. “Ceiling Unlimited” - 4/13, Vapor Trails (2002)

13. “Peaceable Kingdom” (#164/173)

12. “Out of the Cradle” (#155/173)

11. “The Stars Look Down” (#138/173)

10. “Ceiling Unlimited” (#130/173)

4 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

A pumping, straightforward rocker that follows the roaring opener "One Little Victory", a triumphant return to the music world. The main riff is oddly reminiscent of U2's "I Will Follow", but is still a banger.

Previously on my list...

I don't know how to explain this, but I get a (good) fuzzy feel when I hear this. I remember when the album came out - I was living in Toronto (all the way from Australia) at the time. This track, along with Peaceable Kingdom (which was your first elimination from Vapor Trails) really stood out then. Hearing Ceiling Unlimited now brings me back to that delightful period of my life. I love this thread, and really enjoy reading everyone's opinion, but there is no way this wouldn't be in my top 50.

Sad to see it go so early!

• Like 5

On 7/1/2023 at 8:25 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

73 is getting concerned! :ohmy:

I reckon you are secretly hoping that

The Body Electric finishes in the top spot at the No.1 position 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

7 hours ago, yyz305 said:

I don't know how to explain this, but I get a (good) fuzzy feel when I hear this. I remember when the album came out - I was living in Toronto (all the way from Australia) at the time. This track, along with Peaceable Kingdom (which was your first elimination from Vapor Trails) really stood out then. Hearing Ceiling Unlimited now brings me back to that delightful period of my life. I love this thread, and really enjoy reading everyone's opinion, but there is no way this wouldn't be in my top 50.

Sad to see it go so early!

I like this tune a lot, but I hate that the remix added the guitar solo back in. The boys left it out of the original mix for a reason -- the power chords worked great by themselves.

I'd have ranked this higher.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

Nope. Respectful yet firm disagreement here.  There is no level of suck in this song at all.  Top 50.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, grep said:

Nope. Respectful yet firm disagreement here.  There is no level of suck in this song at all.  Top 50.  

I would go top 40 with this one.   And with Faithless, Freeze, Nobody's Hero, and Resist still on the board?

:wtf:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Ceiling Unlimited" is a great song, and coming when it did, as the anthem of their return, it will never not sound special. Great track. This one should be higher. Damn, there's some good title pun to make here, but I can't quite get it.

• Like 5

129. "Test for Echo", Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 7 out of 11

Easily the weakest opener of any Rush album - this one just seems to drag along in comparison to everyone else (even the 18-20 minute opening songs really grab you in throughout!). It's totally a great song, though - fun lyrics and a great, heavy riff. Though it is easy to tell just from the first track where the direction with the album was going... there was no direction. Thankfully, there were better songs than this one off of this album.

Previously on my list...

129. “Test for Echo” - 7/11, Test for Echo (1996)

How is this album doing?

11. “Half the World” (#173/173)

10. “Virtuality” (#170/173)

9. “Dog Years” (#169/173)

8. “The Color of Right” (#152/173)

7. “Carve Away the Stone” (#148/173)

6. “Time and Motion” (#136/173)

5. “Test for Echo” (#129/173)

There's going to be some hot takes for this album (if there hasn't been already)...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

One of the less objectionable songs on this album - which means its still ranked way to high.  Should be ranked much lower IMO.  Coming from me that comment should not be a shock as my lack of love for VT is well known.

Onwards....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

Easily the weakest opener of any Rush album - this one just seems to drag along in comparison to everyone else (even the 18-20 minute opening songs really grab you in throughout!). It's totally a great song, though - fun lyrics and a great, heavy riff. Though it is easy to tell just from the first track where the direction with the album was going... there was no direction. Thankfully, there were better songs than this one off of this album.

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

There's going to be some hot takes for this album (if there hasn't been already)...

Not a terrible song but not thrilling.  Might be a bit higher in my book only because there are songs that you have not ranked yet that I would rank below it.  But basically I would mostly agree - no significant difference from your ranking for me.

Next please.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

🤔 Surely Driven has to be the best track off T4E ? ….. or does it !? 🙃😮

( can’t wait - can really 😉 - to find out ) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Previously on my list...

How is this album doing?

I love this song - evokes clear memories of the OJ trial craziness.

The ranking?  yeah, OK.  I get it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

15 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

About right IMO.

Some of the lyrics are embarrassing.

They lyrics are indeed cringy -- they were cringy when this album came out in '96, and they're even moreso now. Neil wasn't particularly good at topical lyric writing, and Pye Dubois' collaboration couldn't save this one. Musically, this song is pretty solid. I could see this ranked a bit higher, only because there are still a few T4E songs not yet ranked that should be ranked considerably lower than this one.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

They lyrics are indeed cringy -- they were cringy when this album came out in '96, and they're even moreso now. Neil wasn't particularly good at topical lyric writing, and Pye Dubois' collaboration couldn't save this one. Musically, this song is pretty solid. I could see this ranked a bit higher, only because there are still a few T4E songs not yet ranked that should be ranked considerably lower than this one.

I guess it could be worse, he could have done a mashup of the lyrics to this song and Virtuality..

Hood boy, hood girl

Throw your gang signs cross the hood

Put a cap into your rival

You'll be out in just a year or three

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I guess it could be worse, he could have done a mashup of the lyrics to this song and Virtuality..

Hood boy, hood girl

Throw your gang signs cross the hood

Put a cap into your rival

You'll be out in just a year or three

Tough talking newsmen hawking the latest conspiracy
yeah spreading lies and ambiguity
Don't have any proof
Can't tell the truth
To fight the ratings wars on TV

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

What do you notice about this list thus far?

It's the same handful of people taking the time to respond to each song. Would like to see more people participating.

Albums you'd expect to see populating the bottom part of the list are there (lots of T4E, Feedback and Presto songs, no MP or PeW yet), though only two from HYF so far, which is interesting.

hi_water will give a song a higher ranking if he likes the lyrics, even if the song is dogshit musically (Second Nature, Larger Bowl). That's his right, of course. It's his list.

• Haha 2

128. "Halo Effect", Clockwork Angels (2012)

Clockwork Angels - Entry 2 out of 12

Seems to be everyone's choice for the weakest song on Clockwork Angels that isn't an interlude track ("BU2B2"). This is the shortest song, which appears as the last track halfway throughout the album, last track on disc one of the vinyl. An easy-sailing short track that very well demonstrates the orchestra the band implements within the album. It has less to write home about in comparison to the rest of the album, but if this is the real weakest link from Clockwork Angels, then it really displays how great of a last effort this album truly is.

Previously on my list...

128. ”Halo Effect” - 2/12, Clockwork Angels (2012)

The next entry however... ;)

How is this album doing?

12. “BU2B2” (#167/173)
11. ”Halo Effect” (#128/173)

6 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

128. "Halo Effect", Clockwork Angels (2012)

Clockwork Angels - Entry 2 out of 12

Seems to be everyone's choice for the weakest song on Clockwork Angels that isn't an interlude track ("BU2B2"). This is the shortest song, which appears as the last track halfway throughout the album, last track on disc one of the vinyl. An easy-sailing short track that very well demonstrates the orchestra the band implements within the album. It has less to write home about in comparison to the rest of the album, but if this is the real weakest link from Clockwork Angels, then it really displays how great of a last effort this album truly is.

After the first few listens of CA, I would have ranked this as my least favorite. But it's still not a bad song. Not great, but not bad. In other words, I don't think CA has any BAD songs. And that's a pretty good way for a storied band to go out.

My least favorite song on CA is now Seven Cities of Gold. It too is not bad, but I'll dive into it more when it appears on the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

What do you notice about this list thus far?

Some periods of Rush are more popular than others?

• Like 1