Aerosmith calling it a day with farewell tour

On 5/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

I saw them on NYE about 30 years ago.  I'm hoping my buddy who has an "in," for this type of thing (he got the box we sat in at Fenway last September) can get seats.  That should be a GREAT show.

Hope you get to go. I'm genuinely envious but I simply can't make it on NYE.

• Like 1

They will be playing here in January. I wouldn't mind seeing them one last time since the last time I saw them was the Nine Lives tour. But I'm pretty sure the ticket prices are going to be so high for this that it will turn me off from going.

11 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

They will be playing here in January. I wouldn't mind seeing them one last time since the last time I saw them was the Nine Lives tour. But I'm pretty sure the ticket prices are going to be so high for this that it will turn me off from going.

Yes I bet the cost will be eye-watering. 

• Haha 1

Knowing what I know about this band, specifically Steven Tyler, I would never buy tickets to one of their shows.

It just explained a lot, like why he messed up the national anthem and why he fell off the stage that one time.  

Tyler had another relapse less than a year ago, and he's in his 70's. That's why the band cancelled their shows.

Aerosmith wrote Walk this Way while they were waiting for their drug dealer to deliver a shipment.  

On 5/5/2023 at 3:24 AM, TheAccountant said:

I will skip this one.  Saw them back in 1988 and again in the early 2000's.  Very unimpressed both times.

Can you remember what was disappointing 

about these 2 gigs ? 🤔… short set ? Poor playing with mistakes ? Crap sound ? 🤔

4 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Can you remember what was disappointing 

about these 2 gigs ? 🤔… short set ? Poor playing with mistakes ? Crap sound ? 🤔

The 1988 show was just uninspiring.  Flat.  Frankly - boring.  I was looking forward greatly to the show and they had Guns & Roses opening.  Guns and Roses was ok but Aerosmith was just flat.  You could feel the crowed was ready to go nuts at the start of the show, it wanted to go nuts and both bands but esp. Aerosmith just let them down.  You could just feel the air slowly going out of a huge crowed at SPAC and people just losing interest.  The sound was ok, the dum solo was good.  But just uninspiring.  

The show in the 2000's was better but Kiss was on first and blew them off the stage.  But again, I would say uninspiring, flat, dull are the words I would use to describe them   Loud is about the nicest thing I can say (and thats not saying much - low bar there).

Hope everybody who goes enjoys there shows.  But based on my experience I will skip.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, TheAccountant said:

The 1988 show was just uninspiring.  Flat.  Frankly - boring.  I was looking forward greatly to the show and they had Guns & Roses opening.  Guns and Roses was ok but Aerosmith was just flat.  You could feel the crowed was ready to go nuts at the start of the show, it wanted to go nuts and both bands but esp. Aerosmith just let them down.  You could just feel the air slowly going out of a huge crowed at SPAC and people just losing interest.  The sound was ok, the dum solo was good.  But just uninspiring.  

The show in the 2000's was better but Kiss was on first and blew them off the stage.  But again, I would say uninspiring, flat, dull are the words I would use to describe them   Loud is about the nicest thing I can say (and thats not saying much - low bar there).

Hope everybody who goes enjoys there shows.  But based on my experience I will skip.

Sounds like we shared a similar back yard (lived in the capital district most of my life).  I've never seen an amazing show at SPAC, I think there's something about the pace that lends itself to chill and not "wave your hands in the air".  I also found the sound quality at a show there to be VERY hit/miss depending on exactly where you are.  Some venues pull off the 'wherever you sit is about the same' experience, some don't.  I recently saw PT at an outdoor theater (The Greek) in LA, and that reminded me a bit of lawn seats at SPAC.  Except the sound was great, in comparison, overall.

As for Aerosmith, they should have retired like most other nostalgia acts decades before.  I can only imagine boredom, poor financial decisions, and/or high cost of rock&roll living forces these grandads back on the road.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, stoopid said:

Sounds like we shared a similar back yard (lived in the capital district most of my life).  I've never seen an amazing show at SPAC, I think there's something about the pace that lends itself to chill and not "wave your hands in the air".  I also found the sound quality at a show there to be VERY hit/miss depending on exactly where you are.  Some venues pull off the 'wherever you sit is about the same' experience, some don't.  I recently saw PT at an outdoor theater (The Greek) in LA, and that reminded me a bit of lawn seats at SPAC.  Except the sound was great, in comparison, overall.

As for Aerosmith, they should have retired like most other nostalgia acts decades before.  I can only imagine boredom, poor financial decisions, and/or high cost of rock&roll living forces these grandads back on the road.

Thats interesting because I have seen a number of very good shows at SPAC.  In fact, the 2 best shows I ever saw (Rush on the VT tour and Judas Priest on the Ram it Down tour (with Cinderella (Long Cold Lonely Winter tour) opening) were at SPAC.

I agree the sound quality can be a little hit or miss.  I am strictly a lawn seat guy there.  I agree the in door seating is very hit or miss.  But lawn I have generally found to be very good - or perhaps I found the right space.  I will admit that I alway go for the same area on the lawn.  Years ago (in the 1980's) I found a spot that worked for me so I always get their early and as long as I am in the same rough area it works.  

BTW - the show in the 2000's was at the Times Union / Pepsi / Knickerbocker / whatever they call it now arena in Albany.  I have had very mixed sound quality results there I would note.  

14 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats interesting because I have seen a number of very good shows at SPAC.  In fact, the 2 best shows I ever saw (Rush on the VT tour and Judas Priest on the Ram it Down tour (with Cinderella (Long Cold Lonely Winter tour) opening) were at SPAC.

I agree the sound quality can be a little hit or miss.  I am strictly a lawn seat guy there.  I agree the in door seating is very hit or miss.  But lawn I have generally found to be very good - or perhaps I found the right space.  I will admit that I alway go for the same area on the lawn.  Years ago (in the 1980's) I found a spot that worked for me so I always get their early and as long as I am in the same rough area it works.  

BTW - the show in the 2000's was at the Times Union / Pepsi / Knickerbocker / whatever they call it now arena in Albany.  I have had very mixed sound quality results there I would note.  

While we're boring most everyone with smallbany chit chat, The Egg is the best sounding venue I've seen a show anywhere (not that I go to a lot of shows).  I wish all the 10,000+ halls and arenas could sound that good.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, TheAccountant said:

That was my experience as well. At Giants Stadium.   GnR opened and killed it.  Aerosmith put me to sleep. I saw Aero on another tour a few years later, and had the same experience....snoozer.   

• Like 1

Tyler has sustained vocal damage and ordered not to sing for 30 days. They're only a few shows into the tour so far. They may have to call it a day sooner than they would like.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/steven-tyler-sustains-vocal-cord-damage-aerosmith-postpones-several-shows-on-farewell-tour

Edited by J2112YYZ