The Official 2023 NFL season thread

laughedatbytime

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Seems about right!

There needs to be more Jets!  All their games should be on primetime!   They have Aaron Rodgers!    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicken hawk said:

Brady agreed to make his expected return to the team and we are getting it on the team's season-opening game. Brady will be honored  at this ceremony for him.      :notworthy::thumbsup:

He's now looking to buy a share of the RAY-Duhhs.

• Like 1

Hey, Nova...the Rams are back in St Louis this year.   Check out about 10 seconds into the video.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Hey, Nova...the Rams are back in St Louis this year.   Check out about 10 seconds into the video.

It's almost like they had to have scripted it and yet it's real.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, treeduck said:

It's almost like they had to have scripted it and yet it's real

Do you ever really have to script stupidity?

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, laughedatbytime said:

I'm not sure what kind of lapse that is, but it ain't great. Although associating the fleur with St. Louis is not the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  I was never a Rams fan, and frankly enjoyed some schadenfreude when they left town, but the city really got screwed by Kroenke. F that guy.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, laughedatbytime said:

Those loose women should put some clothes on and watch their language…. :wagfinger:  :biggrin:

On 5/13/2023 at 9:41 AM, laughedatbytime said:

Do you ever really have to script stupidity?

Pretty sure I'd be the same with WNBA teams, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, goose said:

Pretty sure I'd be the same with WNBA teams, lol

The Nuge should buy the rights to a WNBA franchise in the Nashville market.  He could already chosen the nickname just by looking back through his live catalogue.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tinwoodsman said:

... oh yeah! The Fever!

That name is already taken by the Indiana franchise.   For Nashville,  I think he dedicated one of his songs on Double Live Gonzo to this particular group.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 12:56 PM, Nova Carmina said:

I'm not sure what kind of lapse that is, but it ain't great. Although associating the fleur with St. Louis is not the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  I was never a Rams fan, and frankly enjoyed some schadenfreude when they left town, but the city really got screwed by Kroenke. F that guy.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the state just paid that dome off last year.

But, you know, sports are such an economic positive for their cities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 78jazz said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the state just paid that dome off last year.

But, you know, sports are such an economic positive for their cities.

Then the state got screwed! Some taxpayers somewhere, yeah. And I meant more emotionally and legally than financially, although that, too. The evidence against the economic benefits of shiny new stadiums is so pervasive, it's a wonder the owners keep trotting out that idea, and that voters and politicians go for it. I guess that's the case for "I want it, so I don't care what it costs."

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Then the state got screwed! Some taxpayers somewhere, yeah. And I meant more emotionally and legally than financially, although that, too. The evidence against the economic benefits of shiny new stadiums is so pervasive, it's a wonder the owners keep trotting out that idea, and that voters and politicians go for it. I guess that's the case for "I want it, so I don't care what it costs."

I believe that most voters don't go for these plans, despite the near universal boosterism of local media.  But politicians manipulate processes to get it to happen.  Sometimes, as in the case of Miller Park in Milwaukee, the politicians get recalled.   But by then the stadia are already under construction and it's too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

I believe that most voters don't go for these plans, despite the near universal boosterism of local media.  But politicians manipulate processes to get it to happen.  Sometimes, as in the case of Miller Park in Milwaukee, the politicians get recalled.   But by then the stadia are already under construction and it's too late.

Fun rabbit hole/trip down memory lane: according to this study by Marquette University voters approved 28 proposals, and they defeated 11 between 1990-2016.

And according to this article by the Sports Business Journal: Overall, voters have approved 60% of the roughly four dozen propositions, initiatives, and referendums that have involved funding and/or a property rezoning request for a major league sports facility. Team owners have come out on top in six of the past eight such requests (the two that failed — the New York Islanders and San Diego Chargers — each moved into a new venue in 2021).

So there's that, for what it's worth. True, I believe the voting hangover/buyer's remorse is a real bitch, and I should go back and look to see if the second or third time voters were asked, if the approval rate dropped. Fool me once, etc.

New England Patriots cornerback Jack Jones was arrested Friday night at Boston’s Logan International Airport with two firearms in his carry-on luggage.

Jones, per the Boston Globe, was charged with two counts of five different charges, including possession of a concealed weapon in a secure area of an airport, possession of ammunition without a firearm identification card, unlawful possession of a firearm, carrying a loaded firearm and possession of a large-capacity feeding device.  :facepalm:

We need stupid people around.  They provide a useful service.  They help the rest of us to appreciate being smart, so we don't take it for granted.  

Just built a Super Sun Shade for the veggies! 

My dork Viking fan neighbor across the street should be able to see it.... :biggrin:

6i1kcZY.jpg

Philip Rivers and his wife are expecting Baby #10!  

Halle, 21
Caroline, 18
Grace, 17
Gunner, 15
Sarah, 13
Peter, 11
Rebecca, 9
Clare, 7
Anna, 4

[Baby To Be Named Later]

6 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Philip Rivers and his wife are expecting Baby #10!  

Halle, 21
Caroline, 18
Grace, 17
Gunner, 15
Sarah, 13
Peter, 11
Rebecca, 9
Clare, 7
Anna, 4

[Baby To Be Named Later]

The Rock Star of Stand-Up Comedy of the 80s | THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO LIVED IN A SHOE SHE HAD SO MANY CHILDREN  HER UTERUS FELL OUT | image tagged in vince vance,andrew dice clay,nursery rhymes,stand up,comic,old lady | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Edited by Nova Carmina