Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

23 hours ago, treeduck said:

I might look into it.

Which version do you like best? Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship or Starship?

Not a monster fan of any of them although I have a number of albums from them.  Probably like Jefferson Starship the best.  The other 2 are about even for me.  The KBC band had one album which has some songs that don't do much for me but it also has "America" which is excellent and "Its Not You, Its Not Me" which is good.  Jefferson Airplane gets lots of love just because of "Somebody To Love" and (to a much lesser extent) "White Rabbit" - Airplane's versions are far superior to the versions put out by The Great Society - not that those are anything bad, but they just don't match up to Airplane's version.  Not close.  Not a fan of Hot Tuna however.  Had an album at one time but not certain if I still have it - I might have sold it off.

Favorite song from, all these related groups?  Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love" followed by "America" from the KBC band (was lucky enough to see them in concert) and then "Jane".  Favorite Album?  very hard to say - not that big of a fan of any to have ever ranked the albums.

What about you?  Whats you favorite of these related bands?  Got any particular stand out songs?  Any particular standout album (since this is an album thread)?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, goose said:

RIght, different band, different era! Nice kilts though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Not a monster fan of any of them although I have a number of albums from them.  Probably like Jefferson Starship the best.  The other 2 are about even for me.  The KBC band had one album which has some songs that don't do much for me but it also has "America" which is excellent and "Its Not You, Its Not Me" which is good.  Jefferson Airplane gets lots of love just because of "Somebody To Love" and (to a much lesser extent) "White Rabbit" - Airplane's versions are far superior to the versions put out by The Great Society - not that those are anything bad, but they just don't match up to Airplane's version.  Not close.  Not a fan of Hot Tuna however.  Had an album at one time but not certain if I still have it - I might have sold it off.

Favorite song from, all these related groups?  Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love" followed by "America" from the KBC band (was lucky enough to see them in concert) and then "Jane".  Favorite Album?  very hard to say - not that big of a fan of any to have ever ranked the albums.

What about you?  Whats you favorite of these related bands?  Got any particular stand out songs?  Any particular standout album (since this is an album thread)?

I'm a bit of a casual fan of them really. I had those '80s albums and Freedom at Point Zero back in the '80s. I actually prefer the Starship version of the band, to me the songs were just better (apart from Jane which is their best song). I'm the same with Genesis, I prefer the poptastic version of Genesis to the prog version. Of course when you look at the credits you realise that all the songs on those Starship records were written by outside writers like Robbie Nevill and DIanne Warren and Bernie Taupin so I don't know maybe they ran out of their own ideas.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, treeduck said:

RIght, different band, different era! Nice kilts though.

3-years in the 70s vs 30+ years post 80s.  :biggrin:

14 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Have you heard the new Bruce Dickinson album yet?

Eh...not yet but wasn't blown away by singles. Any good?

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Eh...not yet but wasn't blown away by singles. Any good?

I very much enjoyed my first listen to it. If you enjoy his other solo stuff then you will like it. He even has an alternate version of If Eternity Should Fail on it.

The past three weeks:

Life's Question - World Full Of…

One Step Closer - From Me To You (EP)

One Step Closer - This Place You Know

One Step Closer - Songs For The Willow (EP)

Koyo - Painting Words Into Lines (EP)

Koyo - Short Beach Sessions (EP)

Falling From One - Unconstricted (EP)

Dillinger - Never Say Never

Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS (Vinyl)

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (Vinyl)

Jim Croce - I Got A Name (Vinyl)

Homesafe - What Did You Find Out? (EP)

Games We Play - Life’s Going Great

• Like 1

Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost  (8/10)

In Requiem (9/10)

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (10/10)

Tragic Idol (10/10)

OK so my fav of this bunch was actually Tragic Idol.  that album is just fantastic.  Faith Divides us is great as well and i gave it a 10.  i just found TI just a little more enjoyable.

The self Titled is a weird ass album.  They seriously sound like odd duck pop Metallica.

and hear me it it works BUT they were moments on that album where i swear things nearly go off the tracks:laugh:

Mick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost  (8/10)

In Requiem (9/10)

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (10/10)

Tragic Idol (10/10)

OK so my fav of this bunch was actually Tragic Idol.  that album is just fantastic.  Faith Divides us is great as well and i gave it a 10.  i just found TI just a little more enjoyable.

The self Titled is a weird ass album.  They seriously sound like odd duck pop Metallica.

and hear me it it works BUT they were moments on that album where i swear things nearly go off the tracks:laugh:

Mick

Tragic Idol is amazing! I give the nod to Faith because I have a bond with that album. The title track really helped me a lot to wake up.

As for the self-titled, the parts they nearly go off track are likely the parts they went "oof, we said we wouldn't do that this time!" and corrected their course haha

f**k Metallica. Paradise Lost forever.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Paradise Lost- Medusa 

In Flames- Battles 

Lacuna Coil- Comalies

Flowing Tears- Jade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

My favorite album of all time.

Black Sheets of Rain - Wikipedia

Based on that, I'm intrigued.

Before I play, what about it makes you love it so much?

37 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Based on that, I'm intrigued.

Before I play, what about it makes you love it so much?

Husker Du is in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, so this album was right up my alley when I first heard it back in 1990.

1. The lyrics.  Dark and soul-baring with a touch of sarcasm.  I can relate to these lyrics like few other albums, if any. Mould writes about the destruction of relationships and the low moments in our lives and how difficult it can be to survive.

2.The music.  Very loud.  Buzzing crunchy squealing guitars, sludgy but also melodic.  Love the drumming as it is powerful and in the forefront on many songs. One mellow song that describes a failing relationship with heartbreaking lyrical genius.

3. His voice.  He sings/screams with such intensity!

Overall it's a dark and somewhat depressing album that beats you with instrumental bluntness and lyrical hopelessness. 

It's that one album that just makes me feel like no other album ever has. I experience so many emotions listening to it.

Some of my favorite lines on the album:

"These things happen all the time
Should I throw myself from the hanging tree?
Is there a place for those of us who don't belong?
I haven't found it yet"

"I guess a little pain never killed anyone
I guess I feel that way again"

"And I don't mean to make a mockery of the things
You thought I'd say when I left
But I'm not disappointed

And if I felt the urge to say you're wrong
Well, I just hold the words inside and laugh
And you'd be disappointed"

• Like 1