• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Y&T - Acoustic Classix Vol 1

Night Ranger - 7 Wishes

Journey - Departure

Ever get a spot on your nose and you know it's gonna be there for days? That's me the last few days.

• Haha 3

So Señor Treeduck 🌲🦆😎

Aside from :rush: ( when jamming along to them on the guitar this afternoon and again a few mins ago ) 

I’ve been listening exclusively to nothing but 

3 different Jethro Tull albums over the weekend 👍

I can’t believe that I’m only just now - after being a massive fan of Hard Rock, Prog Rock, AOR, Metal etc for 38 years since 1985 …. 

( I know that’s well before the most frequent posters on this particular part of TRF we’re born 🤣 ) 

…. finally delving into the extensive Tull back catalogue ! 🙃

… better late than never I guess ! 😉 🤣

Going off on a tangent I also pay attention to the advice & comments posted on here by younger members of TRF community and so intend to

listen further to/check out for the 1st time what I consider to be newer bands ( even if they may have been around for nearly 20+ years lol … they’re still ‘ new’ to me ! 😮🤣) 

Anyway, 🤔 I originally thought I’d start my  

‘ deep dive ‘ with 1970s ‘ Benefit ‘ album but then 

changed my mind at the last minute and selected 

3 other JT albums you’d recommended TD,

but from their early-late 80s synth Rock & Dire straits influenced eras.  

My logic being that ‘82-‘87 is the era I started with all my favorite hard rock bands that were new(ish) or already quite well established by/at this point in time. 

E.g my first Rush album was GuP,

first Yes- 90125

1st Maiden - Powerslave 

I figured this would give me a good starting point of reference & comparasion. 

Good News 👍🙂 … so far after several spins of all 3 albums, I’m really enjoying amongst other factors the story-telling style lyrics, Ian’s vocal delivery of these lines, plus Martin Barre’s tasteful melodic guitar licks & solos 🎸

So my intial rankings are :

• Crest of a Knave ‘87 (8.8/10) 
  • Broadsword & the Beast ‘82 (8.5/10) 
  • Under Wraps ‘84 (8/10) 

Thanks again TD ! :thumbsup:
I’ll play these 3 albums some more then check 

Tull out even further :yes:

• Like 3

Doobie Brothers-Takin' it to the Streets (9/10)

this is essentially Doobies do the Dan.  Doobie Dan? the Steely Brothers?

It's got Mcdonald and Skunk Baxter....two Dan alumni. And i'm gonna admit. this era is becoming my fav.

this also why i don'rt get why fans resist change.  the doobies needed this change to survive.  guess what?  it worked, lol

it extended them like 5 more years.  Also i've played Michael mcdonald solo.  and aside from his debut.  i think all his best songs were used in the doobies.  he never matched himself solo.  Plus the band really helped elevate his songs.  IMO Mcdonald actually works best in a band setting.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, yyz305 said:

220px-Wishbone_Ash_-_Argus.jpg

Wishbone Ash are amazing. Feeling tempted to do a relisten

• Like 1

Doobie Brothers-Minute By Minute (10/10)

i think this is my fv of this era.  the only negative (even though i stand by my score)  is Mike and Jeff were at odds during this time.  And you do feel the lack of Jeff because of it.  Less blistering jazzy solos.  Mike Wanted a more straight forward pop/RnB direction.  Jeff was into jazz improvisation.

Eventually he ceded power to Mike and just left which is a shame.  When they worked together the blend was magic.

BUT i still love the resulting album and it was their smash hit.  Grammy wins and acclaim. and New fans to fill the void left by the bar band crowd.

Mick

51 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Wishbone Ash are amazing. Feeling tempted to do a relisten

Live Dates is my go to from them. That version of Throw Down The Sword has one of the greatest guitar solos I’ve ever heard. Just perfect phrasing, it’s like he’s delivering a world changing speech with his fingers.

17 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

So Señor Treeduck 🌲🦆😎

Aside from :rush: ( when jamming along to them on the guitar this afternoon and again a few mins ago ) 

I’ve been listening exclusively to nothing but 

3 different Jethro Tull albums over the weekend 👍

I can’t believe that I’m only just now - after being a massive fan of Hard Rock, Prog Rock, AOR, Metal etc for 38 years since 1985 …. 

( I know that’s well before the most frequent posters on this particular part of TRF we’re born 🤣 ) 

…. finally delving into the extensive Tull back catalogue ! 🙃

… better late than never I guess ! 😉 🤣

Going off on a tangent I also pay attention to the advice & comments posted on here by younger members of TRF community and so intend to

listen further to/check out for the 1st time what I consider to be newer bands ( even if they may have been around for nearly 20+ years lol … they’re still ‘ new’ to me ! 😮🤣) 

Anyway, 🤔 I originally thought I’d start my  

‘ deep dive ‘ with 1970s ‘ Benefit ‘ album but then 

changed my mind at the last minute and selected 

3 other JT albums you’d recommended TD,

but from their early-late 80s synth Rock & Dire straits influenced eras.  

My logic being that ‘82-‘87 is the era I started with all my favorite hard rock bands that were new(ish) or already quite well established by/at this point in time. 

E.g my first Rush album was GuP,

first Yes- 90125

1st Maiden - Powerslave 

I figured this would give me a good starting point of reference & comparasion. 

Good News 👍🙂 … so far after several spins of all 3 albums, I’m really enjoying amongst other factors the story-telling style lyrics, Ian’s vocal delivery of these lines, plus Martin Barre’s tasteful melodic guitar licks & solos 🎸

So my intial rankings are :

• Crest of a Knave ‘87 (8.8/10) 
  • Broadsword & the Beast ‘82 (8.5/10) 
  • Under Wraps ‘84 (8/10) 

Thanks again TD ! :thumbsup:
I’ll play these 3 albums some more then check 

Tull out even further :yes:

Excellent! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What Makes Sense - Fear And Loathing In The Northeast (EP)

Silverstein - Discovering The Waterfront (Live At Starland Ballroom) (Vinyl)

That Silverstein album is very important to me. They were my last concert before covid. I saw them in Sayreville, New Jersey. The tour celebrated 20 years as a band, and 15 years of their sophomore album, Discovering The Waterfront. They played three sets. First was a Greatest hits set, then an acoustic one, and finally, Discovering The Waterfront in full. I was at the show where this album was recorded. About a year-and-a-half ago, they announced they were releasing that performance of the album exclusively on vinyl. I missed out the first time, but I did get my hands on the recent second pressing. I'm so glad to finally have it in my collection. My pressing is a mustard color.

Coldplay - Parachutes

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (first time listen I think???)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Coldplay - Parachutes

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (first time listen I think???)

you like bombast and you've NEVER heard Bat?  that's like bombast 101 (well in my book at least:biggrin:)

Mick

• Like 2