New Metallica Album Announced (72 Seasons)

Union 5-3992

9 hours ago, Laurabw said:

Ok, asking again...anyone going to Met Life?

Might grab a ticket at the last minute.

Friday look the more interesting day of the two:

Prong is playing the parking lot

Openers with Pantera and Manmoth

• Like 1

Bit late to this party.  Finally got some ear time with 72 Seasons.  It's on par with the last couple albums, moments of okay followed by a lot of the same old same for them.  Probably giving this one more full spin then moving on unless something magical happens the fourth time through.

I rarely listen to DM or HWFSD.  I liked DM a lot when it was released (well, after the unclipped version was leaked online).

My take on modern Metallica is that they're an average grade metal band, so worth checking out but not among the best metal being made in 2023.

Edited by stoopid

On 6/4/2023 at 6:35 PM, J2112YYZ said:

The title track is very good. The singles picked for it are all solid. Maybe one or two other songs are decent enough but every song has a similar feel and there's nothing that breaks that up. Usually Metallica is really good at letting each song sound unique enough to stand on it's own. With 72 Seasons most of it just blends together and that's the most disappointing thing. I think they rushed this out because they had this big two year tour idea and needed something new to help promote it.

I had to go back and find this post, as I was thinking about it my second time through the album and I wasn't recognizing any songs yet.  Heck, third time through I hadn't even realized the last song ended and I was auto-playing back at track one.  It wasn't until I got a few tracks in I looked over and realized where I was on the album.

Oh, one last thing.  The drumming on this is genuinely bad.  So many phoned-it-in and few truly creativity/virtuosic moments by Lars.  He's shown in the distant past he can play, but time and the general elevation of metal drumming across the entire genre hasn't been kind to him.  If you want a contrast, check out any of Gojira's albums to hear the standards for modern metal drumming.  Lars couldn't play half of Mario's parts and Mario's not even the best metal drummer making new music right now.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stoopid said:

Oh, one last thing.  The drumming on this is genuinely bad.  So many phoned-it-in and few truly creativity/virtuosic moments by Lars.  He's shown in the distant past he can play, but time and the general elevation of metal drumming across the entire genre hasn't been kind to him.  If you want a contrast, check out any of Gojira's albums to hear the standards for modern metal drumming.  Lars couldn't play half of Mario's parts and Mario's not even the best metal drummer making new music right now.

I don’t think it’s even fair comparing him with drummers from his own time anymore. Lars’ playing anymore isn’t even as exciting as Dave Holland’s on Judas Priest’s 80s records. Not to slag off Dave’s work there, but he wasn’t exactly going for Neil Peart in Breaking The Law and Electric Eye. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoopid said:

the bass drum especially super processed and triggered.

really it's shit and the first time i thought just retire Lars.

Mick

Jesus f***ing Christ... the Lars hate. LMAO. 

He should have kept his mouth shut in the Napster days, even if he was right.

• Haha 1

I'll say it again, the new Overkill album is fire.

So is the new Metal Church.   Yes, really.

Both of them are better sounding records.  Which makes perfect sense, the guys still striving and pursuing art beat out those who have already succeeded.

I for one cannot wait to hear what ANTHRAX has got cooked up.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:21 PM, Laurabw said:

Ok, asking again...anyone going to Met Life?

I was thinking about traveling up from Charlotte. But the Metallica setlists are all the same. Always and forever.    It would take a lot to get me to pay what is being asked for concert tickets these days. 

They need to start playing AJFA and MOP ins the same set with both KTLU and Orion. Then I'm in for up to 500 bucks.

2 hours ago, grep said:

I was thinking about traveling up from Charlotte. But the Metallica setlists are all the same. Always and forever.    It would take a lot to get me to pay what is being asked for concert tickets these days. 

They need to start playing AJFA and MOP ins the same set with both KTLU and Orion. Then I'm in for up to 500 bucks.

What are you talking about? Metallica has been rotating several songs in each set for 20 years now. And the thing for the current tour is they're not repeating a setlist. Every show has had a different one so far.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grep said:

My opinion on Lars was formed just listening to Metallica. I did not know my opinion was fairly common, and I've never cared about the Napster crap.

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My opinion on Lars was formed just listening to Metallica. I did not know my opinion was fairly common, and I've never cared about the Napster crap.

I wish you were more of a TULL fan!

11 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I wish you were more of a TULL fan!

I really could be! I have never truly ventured into their discography. I like Benefit a lot

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I really could be! I have never truly ventured into their discography. I like Benefit a lot

And don't forget TULL beat Metallica to the metal grammy in 1988 with their Crest of a Knave album!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, treeduck said:

And don't forget TULL beat Metallica to the metal grammy in 1988 with their Crest of a Knave album!

I'm not mad about it.

I don't really rate Metallica. I think they are fine, a 3/5 band at best. But they are no Testament. And no, i dont care who came first.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm not mad about it.

I don't really rate Metallica. I think they are fine, a 3/5 band at best. But they are no Testament. And no, i dont care who came first.

I've never really been able to get into Metallica. I bought their Master of Puppets album in 1986 when they were still on the Music For Nations label to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like it, but I since I'd bought it I wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into it. It annoyed me just having it around, I had to get rid of it, so I took it and buried it in the far pond in the back field. Years later I buried Skid Row's Slave to the Grind there too. Who knows what became of them...

27 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I've never really been able to get into Metallica. I bought their Master of Puppets album in 1986 when they were still on the Music For Nations label to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like it, but I since I'd bought it I wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into it. It annoyed me just having it around, I had to get rid of it, so I took it and buried it in the far pond in the back field. Years later I buried Skid Row's Slave to the Grind there too. Who knows what became of them...

I used to think my weird, but respectful, indifference to Metallica meant I didn't like thrash.

Then I discovered Testament, Mekong Delta, Kreator, Megadeth, and others and realised nope...its just them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Skid Row is still going. They've had a few different singers since Bach left but they're still around. Got some younger guy as their current singer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grep said:

Yes he should have, and let smaller artists with more to lose make the case against Napster, but regardless, his drumming hasn’t been great since parts of The Black Album, and that was an intentional choice on his part, which is where all this negativity is mainly coming from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I used to think my weird, but respectful, indifference to Metallica meant I didn't like thrash.

Then I discovered Testament, Mekong Delta, Kreator, Megadeth, and others and realised nope...its just them.

I've never considered Metallica to be a full on thrash band. They have plenty of traditional and progressive metal in what they do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes he should have, and let smaller artists with more to lose make the case against Napster, but regardless, his drumming hasn’t been great since parts of The Black Album, and that was an intentional choice on his part, which is where all this negativity is mainly coming from.

But smaller artists wouldn't have gotten the attention like Lars did. In fact, it would have died out pretty quickly if lesser known musicians talked about it instead. Look at where the music industry is now. Lars was right.

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've never considered Metallica to be a full on thrash band. They have plenty of traditional and progressive metal in what they do.

Oh definitely. But I also wouldn't call them brilliant at either. Eighties prog thrash? Mekong Delta might not be famous. But Dances Of Death blows everything out the water.

35 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh definitely. But I also wouldn't call them brilliant at either. Eighties prog thrash? Mekong Delta might not be famous. But Dances Of Death blows everything out the water.

i may have to try them one day again but all i remember is my first impression which was it's fine, lol' not slighting them but i wasn't in love.

Mick