Just wanted to say hi!

Jack Aubrey

I still slip into and out of the forum at least once a month but I'm working on trying to be here more and post more but in the meantime (I've always thought that would be a cool title for a Rush song and/or album but sadly those days are over) say howdy to everyone. Things are good 'round here. We just got the kitchen floors done in a type of pergo flooring that looks like wood and the walls are not whit shiplap. We're in the process of having our ceilings "de-popcorned" and they look a million times better so I very highly recommend having it done. The main bathroom and kitchen have been done so next is the living room, hall, frog, and sunroom.

My neighbors had tree in their yard and a coupla months ago we had a nasty thunderstorm with 40-mile winds and the tree basically split in half and fell into our yard. Thank God Almighty that all we suffered was very minor cosmetic damage, a few of our siding pieces suffered a scratch or to but that was it! The guy who removed the tree told us that it was a Bradford pear and Bradford pear trees are bred to grow tall fast, but the bigger they get, the weaker they become and thus more subject to breakage so he very strongly recommended that if you have a Bradford pear in your yard, have it removed ASAP! A few weeks after we had another storm and my best friend had a big chunk of his neighbor's Bradford pear land in his yard but it was in the front yard so no harm done, Thank God Almighty once again!

I am having pretty severe back and leg pain currently and I'm praying hard that I won't end up needing surgery number four but this is the same type of pain I've had when I blew out that other disc 3 times, but on the right side now. I'll keep y'all apprised should I have to go under the damn knife again.

I've also recently joined a local wargaming club and I am having so much fun with those guys! They're all 30- and 20-somethings so I'm the old man, but the guys are an extended family and treat me the same, so I love all those kids! :D

That's enough of me rambling, y'all have a great day!

• Like 5

I remember the time I posted in your 'what are you reading atm' thread and I said something about reading a technical manual.

Don't lose your sense of humour!

Anyways, I appreciate your contributions here! I wish you the best with your health concerns!

Keep on posting!

• Like 1

Hey, there!  Great to see you posting

Congrats on the home improvement efforts!  It is amazing house nice a ceiling looks when that popcorn is gone.  Weird how it was ever even a thing.  

Your tree story has me thinking about our place.  We have some huge trees that really need some aggressive pruning.  The city will do it if you pester them, so I should get on that.

17 hours ago, goose said:

Hey, there!  Great to see you posting

Congrats on the home improvement efforts!  It is amazing house nice a ceiling looks when that popcorn is gone.  Weird how it was ever even a thing.  

Your tree story has me thinking about our place.  We have some huge trees that really need some aggressive pruning.  The city will do it if you pester them, so I should get on that.

I have a town tree that will reach my house in the next year or two.   I've been struggling with them for years to get the thing pruned by they keep dragging their feet and I've had it with them.   I took matters into my own hands, literally. 

Here are my tools, all from AMAZON.

1.  Kids rocket with rubber band launcher

2. Fishing line ( 40 lbs strength )

3. Chainsaw blade on a rope.

I tied the fishing line on the back of the rocket.

Shot the rocket over the branch I wanted down.

Tied the chainsaw blade rope to the fishing line and pulled it over the branch.

Saw, saw and saw.

No more branch.

F U town.

52468413124_42294cb6a2_z.jpg

52468599185_49b4a55c55_z.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

Agree with the Bradford pears.  The houses on my street were all built around 1994.  I moved into my house in '98.  Every house had a couple planted by the developes.  One of mine came down in a storm and half of another fell down during another storm..  Almost every other one on my block hasn't survived.  Custom55, I love your idea with the rope and chainsaw blade.  I think I will give that a try.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, apetersvt said:

Agree with the Bradford pears.  The houses on my street were all built around 1994.  I moved into my house in '98.  Every house had a couple planted by the developes.  One of mine came down in a storm and half of another fell down during another storm..  Almost every other one on my block hasn't survived.  Custom55, I love your idea with the rope and chainsaw blade.  I think I will give that a try.

I took down three branches and it worked like a charm.  A lot of elbow grease but it got the job done.  

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, custom55 said:

I have a town tree that will reach my house in the next year or two.   I've been struggling with them for years to get the thing pruned by they keep dragging their feet and I've had it with them.   I took matters into my own hands, literally. 

Saw, saw and saw.

No more branch.

F U town.

OUTSTANDING!!! I salute and admire your problem-solving abilities. I love all of the mavericks and badasses who simply roll up their sleeves and get it done, whatever "it" may be! Never lose your edge and be sure to teach as many as you can how to think outside the box in order to solve a problem. You done good, Buddy!

On 10/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, custom55 said:

Saw, saw and saw.

No more branch.

F U town.

Might have to try this technique.  Branches keep dying off in our big locust tree. It's a locust tree so more keep growing  . . .

Can a Bradford Pear not be converted to firewood?

My first instinct would be to chop it up, rack it, let it dry out for a year and start burning the thing Thanksgiving Week 2023.  But that's just me. I'll burn almost anything.

Fire, fire, heh heh.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1