The Warning

I think the new song rocks hard. Love the main riff. I also love how they continue to write upbeat music that doesn't fit at all with their dark lyrics. It kind of reminds me of Alice Cooper. The video is cool as hell too.

2 hours ago, Papa Emeritus said:

lol but it’s all written so did she actually say them? 🤔

I'm sure she did. She has no problem answering something when she's asked directly. If not she's perfectly fine letting Dany and Pau ramble on.

I don't know the full details of this because fans only found out throughout the day as details trickled out but Pau is in attendance at some kind of women's business summit or something in Mexico City. She did a piano performance tonight and tomorrow she's either getting an award or giving one out. The translation didn't make it clear. Anyways, here's her performance from that.

EDIT: Pau did get an award on the second night of the summit. It was a global recognition award for her accomplishments as a female drummer and songwriter.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Awesome. Hopefully to be followed by a US headlining tour.

That looks to be happening in September/October. They're playing both Aftershock and Louder Than Life festivals as well as one for a radio station in Camden, New Jersey. All are happening in the fall. No doubt there will be US shows scheduled around these festivals.

Well, to do this so quickly after the song was officially released, I guess the band is aware how much the live version of this song smokes the studio version. There's not a single fan that I know who prefers the studio version.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Was watching more video's on youtube tonight and a new show from The Waning came up.  Watch it - Its very good IMO.  What?  First off, excellent show (most Warning shows are though).  Secondly, it was at a festival and was filmed with a TV camera.  In other words, excellent film quality.  Third, they did a good job filming it - including number of shots where you can watch both Pau's drum work and Ale's base work.  Fourth, good pyro display.  But I saved the best for last.  The live debut of a new song!!!!  About 30 minutes in they debut a song titled "Automatic Sun".   

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Was watching more video's on youtube tonight and a new show from The Waning came up.  Watch it - Its very good IMO.  What?  First off, excellent show (most Warning shows are though).  Secondly, it was at a festival and was filmed with a TV camera.  In other words, excellent film quality.  Third, they did a good job filming it - including number of shots where you can watch both Pau's drum work and Ale's base work.  Fourth, good pyro display.  But I saved the best for last.  The live debut of a new song!!!!  About 30 minutes in they debut a song titled "Automatic Sun".   

They announced last week that Automatic Sun will be released this Friday. I didn't bother posting about it since nobody here had been responding to any of my recent posts in this thread. They recorded a video for Automatic Sun at this show. They had several TV cameras and drones used to record it. That's one of the reasons they had pyro for the song too. After this show they flew to Spain because they start their European tour in Madrid in a few days and that will take them to the end of the month. They have three shows in Japan in June. Then they are back to Europe again in July and August. It looks like the North American tour will happen in September and October since they will be on some festivals in the US at that time. By the way, that riff in Automatic Sun has a very Soundgarden like feel to me.

• Like 1

Here's another recording of Automatic Sun. This one captures the Tom Morello style slide Dany does up and down the neck of the guitar during the intro. The riff to this is really heavy. Tony Iommi would be proud.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 3:25 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Well, to do this so quickly after the song was officially released, I guess the band is aware how much the live version of this song smokes the studio version. There's not a single fan that I know who prefers the studio version.

Much better song live.

The chorus backing vocals give it too much of a "pop" sound.  I liked the main riff as soon as I heard it but the chorus was a let down.  I almost think it would have been better to use some textured keys instead of the vocals during that part.  This is where the live version shines.  The backing vocal tracks are way back in the mix and almost sound like keys.  much more toned down and it makes the song straight up rock.  Maybe they will remix it down the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thesweetscience said:

Much better song live.

The chorus backing vocals give it too much of a "pop" sound.  I liked the main riff as soon as I heard it but the chorus was a let down.  I almost think it would have been better to use some textured keys instead of the vocals during that part.  This is where the live version shines.  The backing vocal tracks are way back in the mix and almost sound like keys.  much more toned down and it makes the song straight up rock.  Maybe they will remix it down the line.

I find it strange that it's only been recently, since the band started to become more popular, that something they've done being too pop is a problem for some fans. The band has had pop hooks in their songs since the beginning. Why did they have no issues with it when the band wasn't as well known? Sorry, I'm not taking a shot at you. It's just that It's too pop has only been a complaint since they released More last year. It never came up before that.

I first heard HYCAD when they played it live back in October of last year. I never even realized there were backing vocals during the keyboard part of the chorus until I heard the studio version. I don't consider it pop though. I see it as something that the fans will be able to sing along to live. Just like the other songs they have with "oh, oh, ohs" in them. Much like The Beatles, The Warning is a rock band that has a lot of pop in what they do melodically.

Edited by J2112YYZ

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I find it strange that it's only been recently, since the band started to become more popular, that something they've done being too pop is a problem for some fans. The band has had pop hooks in their songs since the beginning. Why did they have no issues with it when the band wasn't as well known? Sorry, I'm not taking a shot at you. It's just that It's too pop has only been a complaint since they released More last year. It never came up before that.

I first heard HYCAD when they played it live back in October of last year. I never even realized there were backing vocals during the keyboard part of the chorus until I heard the studio version. I don't consider it pop though. I see it as something that the fans will be able to sing along to live. Just like the other songs they have with "oh, oh, ohs" in them. Much like The Beatles, The Warning is a rock band that has a lot of pop in what they do melodically.

I wish I could answer your question but I can't.  I never really heard the pop in their music until More but esp. with HYCAD.  That song really caused my pop radar to go off.  Their first 3 albums I just don't hear pop in them.  Mind you, not a bad song on those albums - everything is excellent.  Like you, not taking a shot - trying to explain (as best as I can) what I hear and don't hear.  

On the other hand Sick (esp. live versions) is starting to grow on me.  Not crazy about it yet but I am stating to enjoy it.  Automatic Sun  - need to listen to it some more.  I liked the recording I posted because Ale's bass is just THUNDEROUS.  Lot of fun to listen to.

The other positive is Dany's guitar work.  The show I posted made me appreciate it a bit more in an odd way.  She is more Pete Townsend of The Who and less Jimmy Page of Zepplin.  In other words, she is more a riff master and less a soloist.  Pete could solo (as can she) but he was better with rafter shaking riffs that made you go WOW.  She is much less into the earth shaking solo's Page could unleash.  At least that what finally sunk into my thick head as a result of watching that show.

Like I said, I wish I could explain the pop thing better.  Its frustrating to me that I can't.  But it is good that their crowds are still getting bigger and bigger and crazier & crazier.  Like seeing that.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:14 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Well, I like "More."  I really like it. Maybe its just this song and the way they mixed it.   I think its a great song but I don't like the backing vocals in the chorus.  The live version buries that back in the mix and I think it sounds better.  I also think "The Big Money," "Marathon," and "Mission" are way better sounding songs on A Show of Hands than they are on the albums.  Art is subjective.

• Like 1

In February of next year they will be playing the National Auditorium in Mexico City which fits 10,000 people. They sold it out yesterday just a few hours after tickets went on sale. This will be the biggest crowd they've played in front of as a headliner.

EP, have you heard the song Automatic Sun yet? Since you're a musician I was interested in your take on the sound of the song and the unique stuff it sounds like they're doing. Also, Dany is experimenting a bit more with her vocals on it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1