The Warning

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Any idea how she obtained access to Neils drum kit?  Not likely that you or I could find it an play it.  Got to be an interesting story here.

She was visiting the Modern Drummer headquarters to do an interview with them for winning the readers poll for best up and coming drummer of 2023. I guess they have hall of fame kits given to them and put on display.

• Like 1

They start a short South American tour tonight. Their first stop is in Bogota but I don't know if they will have time to check Colombian fields or not. After that they play Buenos Aries then Santiago, Chile. Then they have a few weeks off before they start a tour of Mexico. Three of the shows, Monterrey, Mexico City and Guadalajara will have full stage productions. That's pretty much the rest of the year for them. They also finished recording their next album. I think they got it done in about a month or so. It probably won't be out until next year. But they did record two other songs earlier this year when they recorded More and those two songs are supposedly going to be released on their own. So we may very well have a couple of new songs from them soon to go along with the tour of Mexico. I think that's it for band news right now.

So, Rudy, the band's manager, live streamed the show in Buenos Aries last night from the balcony of the venue and the crowd was absolutely insane. I'm pretty sure they probably brought the ladies to tears a few times during this.

• Like 1

The video for More has reached 2 million views on YouTube. That's the fastest an official video by them has reached that. Now, imagine if their record label actually knew what they had in them and pushed the song hard, how much bigger it could be? This honestly should have been the song to break them huge. The fact that it didn't really shows major incompetence from the record label.

16 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Love it!

I don't know if you've given those new songs a listen but apparently during Hell You Call A Dream, Dany hits and F5 note which is the highest note Floor Jansen can hit. If you've ever seen Dany sing on some of her Instagram lives or when she might do something on Patreon, you will hear that she has an even more impressive and versatile voice than she's shown so far on the bands studio output. I'm glad to see that she's starting to show that now for more people to hear.

Edited by J2112YYZ

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Last night in Guadalajara they debuted two new songs "Sick" and "Hell You Call A Dream". Sick is good but HYCAD is fantastic.

Hmm.  I have a different take here.  When I first found The Warning a year ago August I was blown away and they reignited my interest in Rock music - an interest that had mostly died since the early 90's.  All by themselves they gave me hope that their was good music out there and I can't thank them enough.  After finding them I found Blind Guardian, Unleash The Archers, Brothers of Metal, Scardust, Gloryhammer, Feurerschwanz, In Extremo, Symphony X, The Hu and a number of other bands that I really like.  Without finding The Warning I don't believe I would have found them.

The first Warning album, XXI Century Blood is awesome.  QOTMS was even better,  The 3rd album was a step back and was only awesome.  3 albums that, when I listen to them, I never skip a song.  All 3 I was blown away by right from the start.

Their new music - hmmm.  More I had reserved opinion on for some time but having listened to it live a number of times now I have to admit it does not impress me.

The 2 new songs, same thing.  Not impressed at first (and second and 3rd) listen.  Guess I am in the minority, but I am getting a bit concerned about where they are going musically.  Still, with those 3 albums they have a lot of good will built up.  Will just have to keep listening and hope for the best.  

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Hmm.  I have a different take here.  When I first found The Warning a year ago August I was blown away and they reignited my interest in Rock music - an interest that had mostly died since the early 90's.  All by themselves they gave me hope that their was good music out there and I can't thank them enough.  After finding them I found Blind Guardian, Unleash The Archers, Brothers of Metal, Scardust, Gloryhammer, Feurerschwanz, In Extremo, Symphony X, The Hu and a number of other bands that I really like.  Without finding The Warning I don't believe I would have found them.

The first Warning album, XXI Century Blood is awesome.  QOTMS was even better,  The 3rd album was a step back and was only awesome.  3 albums that, when I listen to them, I never skip a song.  All 3 I was blown away by right from the start.

Their new music - hmmm.  More I had reserved opinion on for some time but having listened to it live a number of times now I have to admit it does not impress me.

The 2 new songs, same thing.  Not impressed at first (and second and 3rd) listen.  Guess I am in the minority, but I am getting a bit concerned about where they are going musically.  Still, with those 3 albums they have a lot of good will built up.  Will just have to keep listening and hope for the best.  

What exactly are you concerned about? They're two hard rocking songs. They surely aren't going pop like some fans thought with More. Dany is giving her best vocal performance yet in Hell You Call A Dream. They've changed their sound with each album. Nothing they've done sounds like the last thing they did but they make it somehow still sound like The Warning. They're even better performers on stage now than I ever thought they could be. I just see nothing but a band improving and expanding their sound and becoming better and more versatile songwriters.

Edited by J2112YYZ

On 10/22/2023 at 9:44 PM, J2112YYZ said:

What exactly are you concerned about? They're two hard rocking songs. They surely aren't going pop like some fans thought with More. Dany is giving her best vocal performance yet in Hell You Call A Dream. They've changed their sound with each album. Nothing they've done sounds like the last thing they did but they make it somehow still sound like The Warning. They're even better performers on stage now than I ever thought they could be. I just see nothing but a band improving and expanding their sound and becoming better and more versatile songwriters.

Thats a very good question and I am going to frustrate you because I don't really have a good answer.

The short answer is that until now their music has moved me, that its touched me on some level.  Its resonated with me in some way.  These songs have not.

More was sort of pop which I did not go crazy for but I was willing to let it sit and hopefully grow which, so far, it has not.  The 2 newer songs are hard rocking but not in a direction I am crazy about.  I sort of feel a Hailstorm influence (understandable in a way) but thats not a good thing.  Any Hailstorm I have heard has not turned me on - rather I tend to turn it off fairly quickly.

I do appreciate that they are expanding their sound and trying different things.  Rush did that its one of many things that makes them special.  I would also note that some of Rush's albums literally took decades to catch on with me but when they did they really did.  So perhaps The Warning will do the same thing. 

I guess I am concerned they could become another Def Leopard.  DL's first album was good, their 2nd and 3rd albums are amazing albums I never skip a song on.  They had changed their sound with their albums but then came a big change in sound with Hysteria.  Yuck.  It does have some good moments and they were trying something different but it does not work for me (although I saw them twice on the tour and still have the album).  Their next album sort of pulled back and changed their sound back in their original direction - aa bit.  Still have that album as well and saw them on that tour.  But the damage was done.  After that they went one way and I went another.  That was the last studio album I bought by them (although I have seen them live a number of times and when I saw them in the 2000's and 2010's they were better live than back in the day).

Like I said, I will give The Warning a lot of lee way to experiment but the most recent sound changes have not thrilled me.

Wish I could answer your question better - its frustrating that I can't.  I must sound like some sort of troll when I am not, not at all.  Like I said their first 3 albums are awesome and they have reignited my interest in Rock music which, other than Nightwish, was basically dead as of the early 90's.

Sorry I can't explain it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats a very good question and I am going to frustrate you because I don't really have a good answer.

The short answer is that until now their music has moved me, that its touched me on some level.  Its resonated with me in some way.  These songs have not.

More was sort of pop which I did not go crazy for but I was willing to let it sit and hopefully grow which, so far, it has not.  The 2 newer songs are hard rocking but not in a direction I am crazy about.  I sort of feel a Hailstorm influence (understandable in a way) but thats not a good thing.  Any Hailstorm I have heard has not turned me on - rather I tend to turn it off fairly quickly.

I do appreciate that they are expanding their sound and trying different things.  Rush did that its one of many things that makes them special.  I would also note that some of Rush's albums literally took decades to catch on with me but when they did they really did.  So perhaps The Warning will do the same thing. 

I guess I am concerned they could become another Def Leopard.  DL's first album was good, their 2nd and 3rd albums are amazing albums I never skip a song on.  They had changed their sound with their albums but then came a big change in sound with Hysteria.  Yuck.  It does have some good moments and they were trying something different but it does not work for me (although I saw them twice on the tour and still have the album).  Their next album sort of pulled back and changed their sound back in their original direction - aa bit.  Still have that album as well and saw them on that tour.  But the damage was done.  After that they went one way and I went another.  That was the last studio album I bought by them (although I have seen them live a number of times and when I saw them in the 2000's and 2010's they were better live than back in the day).

Like I said, I will give The Warning a lot of lee way to experiment but the most recent sound changes have not thrilled me.

Wish I could answer your question better - its frustrating that I can't.  I must sound like some sort of troll when I am not, not at all.  Like I said their first 3 albums are awesome and they have reignited my interest in Rock music which, other than Nightwish, was basically dead as of the early 90's.

Sorry I can't explain it better.

I understand what you're trying to say. I've always heard a bit of a Halestorm influence in them. Especially with Dany's vocals. Lzzy Hale is the only other person I can compare Dany's powerful belting voice to. Yes, there does seem to be more of a Halestorm influence in these two songs but the big difference is Halestorm would not write songs that have depth like Sick and HYCAD have. Halestorm is pretty straightforward and doesn't leave much for you to think about other than just to rock out and have a good time. The Warning puts serious thought into everything they do. Every single song has something deeper going on musically and lyrically. There are some similarities to Halestorm but both write songs very differently. I don't think we have to worry about them going the Hysteria route. It's very obvious with these two songs that even though they're getting more well known they're not abandoning the hard rocking tunes.

Also, keep in mind that the reason they signed with Lava and rejected better offers from bigger labels is because Lava gave them creative control while the bigger labels wanted to turn them into a pop band and tell them what to do. With Lava (and I have my issues with how I don't think they've pushed the bands music hard enough) they're not going to have that big time record label pressure of having to get a massive hit. They'll get that big on their own terms.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1