The Warning

12 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I hade taken a bit of a break from The Warning.  The sort of brake awesome bands need  - it makes you appreciate just how amazing they are when you go back to them.  Plus it gave me a chance to spend some time exploring other groups (some of which turned out to be really good - miracle of miracles since, as has been said, the modern rock scene such's in the US).

So tonight I went back to them and watched 2 of their shows in Europe.  WOW!!  Perhaps I just caught really good shows, or perhaps its just me, but have they taken another big step forward with their live performances?  It seems like the are noticeably better than even when they toured in Canada over the fall / winter.  Pau's drumming (which I have always really liked) seems to have gotten much, much better.

The Madrid show really good but the Berlin show was just mind blowing - you could tell they were having a great time.  The normally reserved Ale was smiling ear to ear and singing along during Evolve when she had no need to (i.e. she was not even close to her mike).  Pau was smiling even more than normal and Dany was Dany.  The German crowd was awesome.  Who would have guessed they would know the words to some of the older songs like "Survive:?  They even had a small mosh thing going. Really good camera work from those who filmed that show.  Martin filmed the Madrid show (normally an indication that it will be a good video) but I thought he was outdone by some of these at the Berlin show.

Glad I went and watched these shows.

The only thing that did not wow me was the new song.  This was basically the first I have listened to it.  That being said, it the first time I have heard a song by The Warning and not been impressed right away.  Perhaps it will grow on me.  But it was just ok - at this point.

Even though my obsessive devotion to this band would say otherwise, I have been taking a little bit of a break from listening to them recently outside of watching some live clips from the European tour. I haven't even seen the full shows from Germany or Madrid but what I have seen and heard the band definitely seems like they're getting even better live. The crowds for the headlining shows have sounded great in what I have seen. Once the tour is over in a few days I will probably watch some of the full shows. Dany was Dany really is the best way to describe her. All you have to say is that and every fan knows exactly what you're talking about. There's a few reasons I think their live game has gotten better. They're playing a lot more and they are maturing a lot. Now that they're playing outside of the Americas and European audiences have been so receptive to them it's helping their confidence as live performers grow. Which is a crazy thought since they were already extremely confident in what they do on stage. Also, the band had been hitting the gym regularly before the tour started. Being young and in really good shape is no doubt helping them on stage. They're trainer sometimes posted clips of them working out. You can see some of them on The Warning Army YouTube channel.

More is a bit of a different direction for them. It's definitely the most mass appeal sounding song they've ever done but I don't think they sacrificed anything musically in it. Lyrically some people think it's a bit simpler than what they did on Error. Some even think it's a sexually suggestive song. But if you read the lyrics it's actually opened to interpretation. What they're talking about is that one thing we can't get enough of. That one thing we always need more of. Which will mean something different to everyone.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

EP will probably love this. Back in January when they opened for Muse in Mexico the bands were hanging out backstage after the show and Matt Bellamy asked Dany what her favorite color was because he wanted to custom make a Manson guitar for her. Dany was so flustered that one of her idols was asking something like that she told him mustard yellow without really thinking about it. Well, on Sunday, their last show opening for Muse, Dany got that guitar. This is now the second person to be so impressed by Dany as both a musician and a person that they had a guitar made just for her.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

EP will probably love this. Back in January when they opened for Muse in Mexico the bands were hanging out backstage after the show and Matt Bellamy asked Dany what her favorite color was because he wanted to custom make a Mason guitar for her. Dany was so flustered that one of her idols was asking something like that she told him mustard yellow without really thinking about it. Well, on Sunday, their last show opening for Muse, Dany got that guitar. This is now the second person to be so impressed by Dany as both a musician and a person that they had a guitar made just for her.

Eeeeeeeee

There are few things I want more in this world than for Matt Bellamy to gift me a Manson guitar! These girls are living the dream!

• Like 2

If you haven't been to their YouTube channel lately, you should check out all the fun after movies they've been posting from the European tour. Also, Dany has done something weird to her hair and it's quite possible she lost her mind some time before this.

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

They will be playing Wacken next year. Not sure how they fit on a festival like that but good for them getting on such a huge festival.

To me they don't.  Not really.  But as you said, good for them.  It will really give them more exposure.  Will be interesting to see how the metal fans there respond to them.  This is really good news.

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

To me they don't.  Not really.  But as you said, good for them.  It will really give them more exposure.  Will be interesting to see how the metal fans there respond to them.  This is really good news.

I think by and large metal heads have a soft spot for hard rock, it’s just not their first choice. Plus The Warning do have some pretty heavy riffs for a hard rock band,  certainly for an ostensibly alternative band in 2023.  I’m sure they’ll do great!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think by and large metal heads have a soft spot for hard rock, it’s just not their first choice. Plus The Warning do have some pretty heavy riffs for a hard rock band,  certainly for an ostensibly alternative band in 2023.  I’m sure they’ll do great!

I also think a lot of metalheads can develop a soft spot for them just like I did because the three of them are just so damn endearing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I also think a lot of metalheads can develop a soft spot for them just like I did because the three of them are just so damn endearing.

Lets hope so.  I just took a look a the initial bunch of bands they announced for Wacken next year and it has some really good bands.  Not only The Warning but the Scorpions, In Extremo and (even better) Unleash The Archers and (best of all) Blind Guardian.  Hope a lot of that gets on youtube.  No chance I would ever get to the festival to see it in person. Been hoping The Warning would brake though and this might be the next big step for them.  Been hoping Unleash The Archers would brake though big and ditto, this might be the big step they need to take.  As for the others, they are big in Germany (at least).

Unleash The Archers and The Warning are 2 of my favorite new bands - so I am thrilled to see them both getting to Wacken. 

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Lets hope so.  I just took a look a the initial bunch of bands they announced for Wacken next year and it has some really good bands.  Not only The Warning but the Scorpions, In Extremo and (even better) Unleash The Archers and (best of all) Blind Guardian.  Hope a lot of that gets on youtube.  No chance I would ever get to the festival to see it in person. Been hoping The Warning would brake though and this might be the next big step for them.  Been hoping Unleash The Archers would brake though big and ditto, this might be the big step they need to take.  As for the others, they are big in Germany (at least).

Unleash The Archers and The Warning are 2 of my favorite new bands - so I am thrilled to see them both getting to Wacken. 

Unleash The Archers are never going to break big. They don't have the sound for that. I'm guessing this is not the first time they have played the European festival circuit. They've been around long enough that I'm sure they've done it before. They may move up a bit in popularity but I have the feeling that where they're at now is pretty much where they're going to stay at.

The Warning still have a good chance of breaking big. They're really young but already have experience in the music industry as song writers and performers well beyond their years. Their manager, Rudy Joffory, works his ass off for them and genuinely cares about their success and is pretty much an uncle to the three of them. The band themselves are also workaholics and never stop doing things band related, Dany especially. They also have a large and very devoted fan base around the world who never shut up about them and will tell anyone who will listen to them about the band.

Most of all they have the talent, the appealing songs, the looks and the three of them are complete sweethearts and pretty much the most likable people in the world. It blows my mind they aren't huge yet because they literally check every box that a band needs to be big.

Edited by J2112YYZ

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Unleash The Archers are never going to break big. They don't have the sound for that. I'm guessing this is not the first time they have played the European festival circuit. They've been around long enough that I'm sure they've done it before. They may move up a bit in popularity but I have the feeling that where they're at now is pretty much where they're going to stay at.

The Warning still have a good chance of breaking big. They're really young but already have experience in the music industry as song writers and performers well beyond their years. Their manager, Rudy Joffory, works his ass off for them and genuinely cares about their success and is pretty much an uncle to the three of them. The band themselves are also workaholics and never stop doing things band related, Dany especially. They also have a large and very devoted fan base around the world who never shut up about them and will tell anyone who will listen to them about the band.

Most of all they have the talent, the appealing songs, the looks and the three of them are complete sweethearts and pretty much the most likable people in the world. It blows my mind they aren't huge yet because they literally check every box that a band needs to be big.

I know Unleash The Archers has played in Europe in the past but I don't believe they have played at Wacken or Hellfest in the past (I could be wrong though) so it defiantly a step in the right direction.  Their last 2 albums and last EP were right in my line with my taste so they are a band I really want to see brake though.  Mind you, I am fine with The Warning breaking through as well.

As for why The Warning have not broken though, its partially because they were independent until recently and their label does not do a ton for them.  But its more than that.

I have told a number of folks about them and the reactions were interesting.  

Back in the winter I was undergoing PT for a bad back and I told the guys (and ladies) who were working me over about them.  They checked them out and their reaction was basically "Their ok.  Just run of the mill.".

I told me dental hygienist about them.  She is 61 and a big Heart fan from early on.  Other than Heart, she is into country but I thought with her liking Heart she might connect with them.  She listened to them and basically said "They are ok.  But no Heart.  Not the country I like either."

I told my dentist about them.  Actually its 2 twin brothers who run the practice so I told them both.  They were into VH & Metallica growing up.  More recently they have been into The Foo Fighters and recently went to MSG to see The Killers.  Their reaction was "They are ok - but nothing we would be bothered listening to.  They are basically background sound."

I talked with one of the guys in my office about hem.  He is in his early 30's and was shocked that an old guy (I am 57) like me would know of and actually be into Nightwish.  Lucky guy, he got to see Nightwish once with Floor and once with Annette.  He recently went to MSG to see A7 (got me to try them - I disliked them strongly).  Anyway, he listened to them and his reaction was "Good music, like really good music.  But the vocals, on both newer songs and older songs, they turn me off."  I explained that sometimes the drummer song lead (which impressed him) and some time the guitarist.  He said that interested him enough he would try them again.  He did and came back and told me that it did not seem to matter who was on lead vocals, old song or newer the vocals just turned him off.

So, I have certainly tried to turn some folks on to them and no luck.  The last guy had the most articulate feedback.  Seems they just don't click with a lot of folks and the one guy who was really direct with why, just did not care for the vocals.  Which I sort of agree with - to me they are the weakest link in the band   

I really like The Warning but for me their greatest impact has been to open my eyes to the fact that their are good young bands (Unleash The Archers - older but young in terms of albums, Scardust- again, a bit older but with even fewer albums out and Brothers of Metal - again older but with fewer albums out).  I hope all break big - but if 2 of them play at Waken (the other 2 played their last year) its great step in the right direction. 

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

I know Unleash The Archers has played in Europe in the past but I don't believe they have played at Wacken or Hellfest in the past (I could be wrong though) so it defiantly a step in the right direction.  Their last 2 albums and last EP were right in my line with my taste so they are a band I really want to see brake though.  Mind you, I am fine with The Warning breaking through as well.

As for why The Warning have not broken though, its partially because they were independent until recently and their label does not do a ton for them.  But its more than that.

I have told a number of folks about them and the reactions were interesting.  

Back in the winter I was undergoing PT for a bad back and I told the guys (and ladies) who were working me over about them.  They checked them out and their reaction was basically "Their ok.  Just run of the mill.".

I told me dental hygienist about them.  She is 61 and a big Heart fan from early on.  Other than Heart, she is into country but I thought with her liking Heart she might connect with them.  She listened to them and basically said "They are ok.  But no Heart.  Not the country I like either."

I told my dentist about them.  Actually its 2 twin brothers who run the practice so I told them both.  They were into VH & Metallica growing up.  More recently they have been into The Foo Fighters and recently went to MSG to see The Killers.  Their reaction was "They are ok - but nothing we would be bothered listening to.  They are basically background sound."

I talked with one of the guys in my office about hem.  He is in his early 30's and was shocked that an old guy (I am 57) like me would know of and actually be into Nightwish.  Lucky guy, he got to see Nightwish once with Floor and once with Annette.  He recently went to MSG to see A7 (got me to try them - I disliked them strongly).  Anyway, he listened to them and his reaction was "Good music, like really good music.  But the vocals, on both newer songs and older songs, they turn me off."  I explained that sometimes the drummer song lead (which impressed him) and some time the guitarist.  He said that interested him enough he would try them again.  He did and came back and told me that it did not seem to matter who was on lead vocals, old song or newer the vocals just turned him off.

So, I have certainly tried to turn some folks on to them and no luck.  The last guy had the most articulate feedback.  Seems they just don't click with a lot of folks and the one guy who was really direct with why, just did not care for the vocals.  Which I sort of agree with - to me they are the weakest link in the band   

I really like The Warning but for me their greatest impact has been to open my eyes to the fact that their are good young bands (Unleash The Archers - older but young in terms of albums, Scardust- again, a bit older but with even fewer albums out and Brothers of Metal - again older but with fewer albums out).  I hope all break big - but if 2 of them play at Waken (the other 2 played their last year) its great step in the right direction. 

The people that I told about them were people I already knew would like that kind of music and they all ended up fans. I find it strange that more than one person said the vocals were a turn off considering I have seen and heard nothing but praise for how good of a singer Dany is. The same for Pau as people are always impressed by her being able to sing and play at the same time. The talent is obvious in this band, if someone thinks that they are run of the mill then that person doesn't know much about music.

Don't even get me started on Lava records and their half ass push of this band. Sure, they've opened some doors of opportunities for them that wouldn't exist if they were still independent. But most of the big stuff that has happened for them has to do with the bands hard work and personalities winning people over and the band's manager always working on doing something big for them. There's a lot of things that have happened with this band since I've been a fan that I don't think Lava has anything to do with. I don't care who Jason Flom, the guy who started Lava records, signed 30 years ago to big labels, he clearly doesn't have a clue how to market The Warning and make them much bigger than they currently are. I'm not a big fan of this label. I haven't been since I became a fan. Too many major things have happened with this band over the last year and a half and Lava doesn't seem to know how to capitalize on those things in order to help get the band more well known. They're just going to let the band, their management and the fans do all that work.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Ale ended up singing two songs last night. It was very hot in the venue. Ale and Pau's shirts are completely soaked in sweat. I think Dany wanted to make sure she didn't wear her voice out too bad due to the heat. So, Ale helped out on a few songs.

• Like 2

The best version of Ugh? Well, that's what Dany and a lot of fans think. Plus, seriously, why would you want to argue with such a sweetheart like Dany? What are you? Some kind of vile, miserable monster? 😄

Edited by J2112YYZ

On 8/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Ale ended up singing two songs last night. It was very hot in the venue. Ale and Pau's shirts are completely soaked in sweat. I think Dany wanted to make sure she didn't wear her voice out too bad due to the heat. So, Ale helped out on a few songs.

Ale actually has a nice voice but you could tell she was struggling a bit vocally.  As we have said, she is not comfortable singing lead and IMO it showed.  There was a definite "I screwed up" fort of look between Ale and Pau at the end of Hunter.  Pity in a way, I was really wondering what would happen with that song - of the 2 I prefer it.  Also, not certain if the sound mixing was ready for her to sing lead.   The band sounded good but the mixing of her vocals might have been better - or perhaps it was just her lack of comfort with singing lead.  Still, interesting to watch.

31 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

The best version of Ugh? Well, that's what Dany and a lot of fans think. Plus, seriously, why would you want to argue with such a sweetheart like Dany? What are you? Some kind of vile, miserable monster? 😄

Vile, miserable monster - you paged me?  LOL.  I actually have no problem disagreeing with Dany but here I can't.  Not because of Dany though.  Rather its because of Pau - she was on fire during this song.  Just awesome.  Yes, it might be the best live version of this song.  Pau was just a beast - that make the song for me.  Big time enjoyable.

55 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Ale actually has a nice voice but you could tell she was struggling a bit vocally.  As we have said, she is not comfortable singing lead and IMO it showed.  There was a definite "I screwed up" fort of look between Ale and Pau at the end of Hunter.  Pity in a way, I was really wondering what would happen with that song - of the 2 I prefer it.  Also, not certain if the sound mixing was ready for her to sing lead.   The band sounded good but the mixing of her vocals might have been better - or perhaps it was just her lack of comfort with singing lead.  Still, interesting to watch.

I don't think Ale has a particularly strong, projecting voice either. She has a good voice but her tone overall is better suited in a backup vocal role or something where she sings briefly like on the bridges of Choke and More. Her voice is interesting because when she does do lead for a song I can hear that she has some similarities to both Dany and Pau. There's certain inflections she does that remind me of both at times.

• Like 1

All of you normal fans might be able to see the full video of the show in Mexico City on Tuesday. The band has been releasing the individual songs on YouTube and there's only a couple left to release. Tuesday also marks the year anniversary of the show. So everyone figures the whole thing will be released then. Don't hold me to that though. It just looks like that's what will happen. It's a fantastic concert video as a whole. Since I'm on their Patreon I already saw the whole thing a few months ago. It's one of the best live concert videos I've seen.

Their Patreon reached 3,000 members today. It was around 1,800 when I joined in May of last year.

Edited by J2112YYZ