The Warning

The full show from Mexico City is now up on their YouTube channel. Go watch it! Why are you still reading this? Why haven't you gone to watch it yet? Do you hate the immense joy that watching a show like this will give you? Seriously, why are you not watching it yet?

48 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Watched the whole thing tonight. They were great when I saw them 18 months ago (and then started this thread) and they've only gotten tighter since then. Wish they'd do another headlining US tour so I could see them again.

They just did a US tour in May then one again earlier this month. They start their Latin American tour in October and they are playing Wacken next year so they will tour Europe again. I've heard they will have two European tours next year.

Edited by J2112YYZ

On 8/29/2023 at 9:31 PM, J2112YYZ said:

The full show from Mexico City is now up on their YouTube channel. Go watch it! Why are you still reading this? Why haven't you gone to watch it yet? Do you hate the immense joy that watching a show like this will give you? Seriously, why are you not watching it yet?

Just got done watching the show.  So what did I think?  It was a very good show.

Good set list, good film quality, good sound & mixing.  In some recordings (normally audience recordings) when they switch from the lead vocals of Danny to Pau's sometimes you don't really get to clearly hear Pau until about halfway through the song as the person mix'ing has to switch the emphasis from one to the other.  Not here - right away you picked up that Pau had the lead vocals.  

Best song in the set for me?  Dust to Dust.  Second best?  Survive.  Third best?  Good grief, thats a free for all.  In no particular order it could be Error, Evolve, Disciple, Money, Hunter, Narcicista, Martirio, 23 or Revenant (I like those last 2 (basically I like every Warning song) but did not anticipate they would be that good).    I know thats like half the set but yeah, they were good - and better as the set went on.  Dany was Dany, Ale was Ale but Pau, o wow.  Pau was on fire.  Since I first found the warning about a year ago I have been impressed with her drum work - even looking back at their TED Talk her drum work impressed me but its really gotten much better over the last year.  Interestingly I find her drum work to be much more impressive on their most recent albums work, even though QOTMS is my favorite album from them.  Plus Pau's vocals just are so impressive. I have always liked them but I thought they stood out even more here.

Another good part about the camera work was that it basically (at times) functioned like a Pau camera.  Its funny in a way.  I had never noticed that when Pau drums she practically bounces on her seat and almost jumps up at times.  That might be a function of her being like 5 foot nothing.  Somehow I had never noticed it before - but it was sort of funny.  I guess it gives her some momentum to help with her drumming since she does not have the physical size and strength of a Neil Peart (for example).  But man does she still beat the hell out of her drums and her work has become much more complex - very impressive.

Good to see Dany and Pau's teachers joined them on stage again. 

Very entertaining show.

Any negatives?  Yeah.  The lighting.  I did not care for it - it was distracting and I almost had to look away at times.  That style of light show I don't care for.  

But thats fairly minor.  Basically it was a heck of a show.

Note - I know they want to honor Metallica and I know they got started with Enter Sandman but I would vote that they stop covering it.  They are now to the point where they have 3 albums that I will not skip a song on.  Thats plenty of really good original material - no need to keep covering Enter Sandman.  I know its a nod to Metallica but I say at this point you don't need to.  They have more them demonstrated they respect Metallica.  Spread your wings - no one will think the less of them for it.

That being said - I don't really care for Metallica.  Enter Sandman is a decent song but frankly The Warning have a lot of material I would prefer to listen to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Just got done watching the show.  So what did I think?  It was a very good show.

Good set list, good film quality, good sound & mixing.  In some recordings (normally audience recordings) when they switch from the lead vocals of Danny to Pau's sometimes you don't really get to clearly hear Pau until about halfway through the song as the person mix'ing has to switch the emphasis from one to the other.  Not here - right away you picked up that Pau had the lead vocals.  

Best song in the set for me?  Dust to Dust.  Second best?  Survive.  Third best?  Good grief, thats a free for all.  In no particular order it could be Error, Evolve, Disciple, Money, Hunter, Narcicista, Martirio, 23 or Revenant (I like those last 2 (basically I like every Warning song) but did not anticipate they would be that good).    I know thats like half the set but yeah, they were good - and better as the set went on.  Dany was Dany, Ale was Ale but Pau, o wow.  Pau was on fire.  Since I first found the warning about a year ago I have been impressed with her drum work - even looking back at their TED Talk her drum work impressed me but its really gotten much better over the last year.  Interestingly I find her drum work to be much more impressive on their most recent albums work, even though QOTMS is my favorite album from them.  Plus Pau's vocals just are so impressive. I have always liked them but I thought they stood out even more here.

Another good part about the camera work was that it basically (at times) functioned like a Pau camera.  Its funny in a way.  I had never noticed that when Pau drums she practically bounces on her seat and almost jumps up at times.  That might be a function of her being like 5 foot nothing.  Somehow I had never noticed it before - but it was sort of funny.  I guess it gives her some momentum to help with her drumming since she does not have the physical size and strength of a Neil Peart (for example).  But man does she still beat the hell out of her drums and her work has become much more complex - very impressive.

Good to see Dany and Pau's teachers joined them on stage again. 

Very entertaining show.

Any negatives?  Yeah.  The lighting.  I did not care for it - it was distracting and I almost had to look away at times.  That style of light show I don't care for.  

But thats fairly minor.  Basically it was a heck of a show.

Note - I know they want to honor Metallica and I know they got started with Enter Sandman but I would vote that they stop covering it.  They are now to the point where they have 3 albums that I will not skip a song on.  Thats plenty of really good original material - no need to keep covering Enter Sandman.  I know its a nod to Metallica but I say at this point you don't need to.  They have more them demonstrated they respect Metallica.  Spread your wings - no one will think the less of them for it.

That being said - I don't really care for Metallica.  Enter Sandman is a decent song but frankly The Warning have a lot of material I would prefer to listen to.

You never noticed the Pau-ounce before? She usually stands up during the solo vocals on the bridges of Dust To Dust and Disciple. She also does it for the intro to Survive. She is very short so it's easy to not notice when she does do that when she is behind the drums. Perhaps being up on that big drum riser made her more hyped. She could see over everything like a quarterback lining up behind the center. It may have allowed her to have more command over everything during the show.

I agree about the Sandman cover. I've never cared for it. Every song on all three albums, Narcisista and More all make me feel something. I feel nothing with their version of the song. The only thing they've recorded so far that I consider a boring, nothing happening in it song. Pau likes playing it though but yeah, they're way beyond having to do that. Unless a band is responsible for making the cover a well known song then I see no reason for any cover to still be regularly in the set once a band has enough original material. Especially when all your original songs are better than your cover.

They have two more songs recorded waiting to be released. Anton DeLost, who co-wrote and produced More is in Monterrey right now so they might be working on a few more songs for a possible EP release around the time they do their Latin American tour in October/November. Hopefully with new songs on the way it will finally bump Sandman from the set.

Edited by J2112YYZ

The biggest issue with the Sandman cover to me (besides the fact that they have more than enough quality original material to fill a set without needing to pad it out with any covers) is that they run Alessia Cara's voice on a prerecorded track instead of doing all the vocals live themselves, which they'd be more than capable of doing. It's just tacky, especially since they're a band that (as far as I can tell) plays everything else 100% live in their set.

9 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You never noticed the Pau-ounce before? She usually stands up during the solo vocals on the bridges of Dust To Dust and Disciple. She also does it for the intro to Survive. She is very short so it's easy to not notice when she does do that when she is behind the drums. Perhaps being up on that big drum riser made her more hyped. She could see over everything like a quarterback lining up behind the center. It may have allowed her to have more command over everything during the show.

I agree about the Sandman cover. I've never cared for it. Every song on all three albums, Narcisista and More all make me feel something. I feel nothing with their version of the song. The only thing they've recorded so far that I consider a boring, nothing happening in it song. Pau likes playing it though but yeah, they're way beyond having to do that. Unless a band is responsible for making the cover a well known song then I see no reason for any cover to still be regularly in the set once a band has enough original material. Especially when all your original songs are better than your cover.

They have two more songs recorded waiting to be released. Anton DeLost, who co-wrote and produced More is in Monterrey right now so they might be working on a few more songs for a possible EP release around the time they do their Latin American tour in October/November. Hopefully with new songs on the way it will finally bump Sandman from the set.

I have noticed her standing during the songs you mentioned.  Thats old news for me but the Pau-ounce (that is LOL funny BTW - thanks for making me laugh), no I don't think I have ever noticed it.   Defiantly not to the extent that she was bouncing during this show.  Her bounces were so overstated she was practically bouncing out of the seat.  It was really funny to see her doing it while at the same time doing her awesome drumming and singing.  Its just added to the awesomeness of Pau.

As for Enter Sandman - I thought I was about the only person who did not care for it.  What a shock to find I am not alone!!  I 100% agree their originals are better than the cover -then again I think there originals are better than the original Enter Sandman.  But again, not really a Metallica fan.

Glad they have more songs recorded.  Lets hope they are better than More.  More is the first time I have heard one of their songs and been like "hmm, well, I guess its ok.  Maybe it will grow on me".  Every other song has impressed me right away.  More was sort of ho-hum for me and really has not grown on me.  Hoping its not a sign that their musical exploration is leading them in a direction I don't like.  I will have a ton of patience as they explore but I would hate to see them wind up in some strange direction I don't like.  Don't think it will happen but am a tiny bit worried - although I am a work wort by nature.  

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I have noticed her standing during the songs you mentioned.  Thats old news for me but the Pau-ounce (that is LOL funny BTW - thanks for making me laugh), no I don't think I have ever noticed it.   Defiantly not to the extent that she was bouncing during this show.  Her bounces were so overstated she was practically bouncing out of the seat.  It was really funny to see her doing it while at the same time doing her awesome drumming and singing.  Its just added to the awesomeness of Pau.

As for Enter Sandman - I thought I was about the only person who did not care for it.  What a shock to find I am not alone!!  I 100% agree their originals are better than the cover -then again I think there originals are better than the original Enter Sandman.  But again, not really a Metallica fan.

Glad they have more songs recorded.  Lets hope they are better than More.  More is the first time I have heard one of their songs and been like "hmm, well, I guess its ok.  Maybe it will grow on me".  Every other song has impressed me right away.  More was sort of ho-hum for me and really has not grown on me.  Hoping its not a sign that their musical exploration is leading them in a direction I don't like.  I will have a ton of patience as they explore but I would hate to see them wind up in some strange direction I don't like.  Don't think it will happen but am a tiny bit worried - although I am a work wort by nature.  

I think the excitement of the big show made her more Pau-ouncey than normal. She does do it but it definitely seemed like she was doing it a lot more often. Perhaps it was the great camera work that allowed us to see how much she really does that.

You're far from the only one to feel that way about the Sandman cover. A lot of fans would prefer that they did one of their own songs instead. Especially when they have a shorter set. They get a half hour on festivals and opening shows but they still do it. That doesn't make sense to me when you're time is limited on stage. I understand people know the song and that's why they do it but their songs always get a great response. Imagine the great response the jams at the end of Survive or Dull Knives would get from the a crowd who doesn't know them? Everyone would be on their feet cheering. Or the easy to bop/sing along to "hey, hey, hey, hey yeah" part of XXI Century Blood. They're still very young and I think they often underestimate the effect their songs can have on people who don't know them yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

The biggest issue with the Sandman cover to me (besides the fact that they have more than enough quality original material to fill a set without needing to pad it out with any covers) is that they run Alessia Cara's voice on a prerecorded track instead of doing all the vocals live themselves, which they'd be more than capable of doing. It's just tacky, especially since they're a band that (as far as I can tell) plays everything else 100% live in their set.

They do have some backing tracks. Like the synth part in Queen Of The Murder Scene and the intro to Kool Aid Kids. But if those failed they can still play the song with no problems.

21 minutes ago, Burger King Diamond said:

I don't think it's the main broadcast though is it?

It's something called the extended play stage. I believe they will show something during the actual VMAs. Since what I've read seems to indicate that they will be on the main show in some capacity. I read that MTV did stream the full performances from that stage last year. Either way it's the biggest platform in the US that they will have so far. Overall this a good thing for the band but at the same time I don't think they fit with the whole pop culture scene that MTV is always promoting. Music, image and personality wise being pop is just not who they are. But they are probably going to become a lot more well known after this and that's what's important.

I'm glad I got my request in for the handwritten lyrics perk on Patreon a few weeks ago. If they become a lot bigger because of this they may not have time for that stuff anymore.

Edited by J2112YYZ

They attended the MTV video music awards show last night. They got some good media coverage it looks like. This is a big step for them in finally becoming a lot more well known. They were even mentioned twice on the main show and clips were shown of the two songs they recorded on Friday for YouTube.

Here they are. They were on fire with this performance. They are so beyond ready to be huge.

Too cap off the big week they've had, they were at Modern Drummer headquarters where Pau looks to be giving an interview after winning best up and coming drummer in the 2023 reader's poll. She also posted clips on Instagram of her playing on drum kits from both Alex Van Halen and Neil Peart! Tonight they open for Guns N Roses in Florida.

I forgot to mention as part of my Patreon rewards on Monday I received in the mail handwritten lyrics to Animosity by Dany.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Too cap off the big week they've had, they were at Modern Drummer headquarters where Pau looks to be giving an interview after winning best up and coming drummer in the 2023 reader's poll. She also posted clips on Instagram of her playing on drum kits from both Alex Van Halen and Neil Peart! Tonight they open for Guns N Roses in Florida.

I forgot to mention as part of my Patreon rewards on Monday I received in the mail handwritten lyrics to Animosity by Dany.

Sweet!

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Sweet!

You get to choose the song and the band member you want to write the lyrics. If you renew at that tier or the two above it, you are eligible to get another set of lyrics. There are fans who have lyrics written by all three. Some choose to have the same member write them and there's others that can't make up their mind and just tell Dany (she's in charge of the Patreon) to send them whatever song she wants. They don't write anything ahead of time. They wait until you request a song. It would be easy for them to write each song out once and just make copies of them to send. But that is disingenuous and not real, upfront and honest. Which is all they have ever been with the fans. I picked Animosity since it was the first song I heard from them. It took less than three weeks to get mailed to me after I asked. Not too bad considering they went right into the studio after that.

I tried to post a picture of it off my phone but for some reason this site won't let me do it. I'm probably missing something really easy and obvious.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1