The Warning

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Speaking of BH&R, I gave the album a listen for the first time and it certainly won't be my last. I can definitely hear why people like Muse so much. Back when the album came out I know I wouldn't have liked it. I was too deep into metal for it to have made any kind of impact on me. But now I'm in a different place mentally about music and can really appreciate it.

Yay! Awesome. I generally find BH&R to be Muse’s most agreeable album, something for everyone and early enough not to get too overblown for most.  If you continue digging it and want to check out more, Absolution or The Resistance would be good next steps. Absolution is more serious Muse, but still pretty accessible with some of their most iconic songs (like Hysteria), and The Resistance is more outrageous Muse, with crystal clear production and genre hopping from sci fi RnB to full blown symphonic prog rock.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Their reaction?  YES!!!  Thats exactly why I posted it.  Danny's was about what I expected.  Pau's was about what I expected in a way.  Remember her tears at the end of the Mexico City headlining show where their teachers played with them?  Remember the last show on the May Day Tour?  Both times she broke down.  She and Danny are both so passionate about their music - it just comes out in very different ways.  Ale though - wow! Yes, 100% agree with you.  This must be the most emotion I have ever seen from her.  Shocked me.

The entires groups reaction was so genuine / authentic / honest / raw / real.  Pick whatever other word you want - I loved it.

This news was a good way to end a very crappy week for me.  Went away on a business trip and while I was on the trip some f&*%'ing idiot ran a red light and plowed into me.  Totaled my car which was a 2015 with 95,000 miles on it and it was running as good as the day I drove it off the lot.  I am not a happy camper to say the least.  Live for almost 30 years in that area and never had an accident - the first time I go back on business, damm.  End rant about drivers in the NYC area.

Getting back to The Warning, I also went to my last PT session last night and my physical therapist says to me "You know, I am a big Tool fan and I just saw they are playing some festival someplace this summer.  I forget where and I will probably not be able to go anyway, but one of the opening bands is that group you told me about, The Warning.  If they come around here at least now I have some idea who they are.  Without you I would have  had no idea who they are."  Score one for talking to people about The Warning.  Got to try to keep doing that when I can.  Note:  I have no idea what festival he was talking about of if he was just making conversation but he had no need to bring it up with me so I assume he had seen something mentioning Tool and The Warning.  If true it would be another good step for The Warning.

Now lets just hope these shows with Muse go well.  I suspect they will be really jacked up for the shows.  If they go well it would be so great for them - if not it would be such a disappointment.  Even better would be if they get to meet Muse.  I remember they go to briefly meet The Foo Fighters but they did not get to meet G & R.  If they got to meet Muse and it was a good experience it could make this dream even better.

That makes sense about not getting to meet GnR but getting to meet the Foos. Axl doesn't have a reputation for being that nice of a person, especially on tour (even if he's doing much better these days), and Slash probably only wants to talk to you if you're into horror clown heads or you rip a really impressive guitar solo.  Those are assumptions I just made but I feel like there's some truth to them. Foos on the other hand have always been some of the nicest guys in music, cursing like sailors while making you some wicked BBQ for a group band meal, then telling awesome stories while you share the food.  Muse don't really fall into either of those camps. Chris is incredibly reclusive, though friendly enough if he does manage to get on camera. Matt has always struck me as incredibly awkward, more likely to start delving into his latest conspiracy theory interest than remember to ask you about your day, but he's genuine as well.  They'd probably have the easiest time chatting with Dom, who isn't a massive extrovert or anything but always strikes me as cool and relatable in interviews.

Just now, thizzellewashington said:

I liked Muse a lot in the mid-2000s. Think they've kind of gone off the deep end in the last 10 years or so and become a bit of a self-parody. But this is a great opportunity for the Warning.

Internationally their still one of the highest grossing touring bands out there, so this should really get The Warning some great new traction.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That makes sense about not getting to meet GnR but getting to meet the Foos. Axl doesn't have a reputation for being that nice of a person, especially on tour (even if he's doing much better these days), and Slash probably only wants to talk to you if you're into horror clown heads or you rip a really impressive guitar solo.  Those are assumptions I just made but I feel like there's some truth to them. Foos on the other hand have always been some of the nicest guys in music, cursing like sailors while making you some wicked BBQ for a group band meal, then telling awesome stories while you share the food.  Muse don't really fall into either of those camps. Chris is incredibly reclusive, though friendly enough if he does manage to get on camera. Matt has always struck me as incredibly awkward, more likely to start delving into his latest conspiracy theory interest than remember to ask you about your day, but he's genuine as well.  They'd probably have the easiest time chatting with Dom, who isn't a massive extrovert or anything but always strikes me as cool and relatable in interviews.

Thats all very interesting for me.  Must confess I am totally ignorant when it comes to Muse.  I have heard a few of their songs, I recall reading that at least one of them went into rehab for alcoholism (Chris?) at one point, I know that they are big in England (where they are from), that they are progy, and they are a big influence on The Warning.  Thats about it.  Never been big into them.  Will have to check out more of their music.  What I have heard is ok but not thrilling.  But your description of the band is interesting to me.

I agree with everything you said about G & R & The Foo Fighters.  I think their meeting with The Foo Fighters was backstage and brief.  I recall Danny saying that Dave Grohl high 5'ed her and she said something like "Let me tell you, he has some incredibly strong hands."  The implication was the high 5 was so strong it hurt and practically knocked her over 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats all very interesting for me.  Must confess I am totally ignorant when it comes to Muse.  I have heard a few of their songs, I recall reading that at least one of them went into rehab for alcoholism (Chris?) at one point, I know that they are big in England (where they are from), that they are progy, and they are a big influence on The Warning.  Thats about it.  Never been big into them.  Will have to check out more of their music.  What I have heard is ok but not thrilling.  But your description of the band is interesting to me.

I agree with everything you said about G & R & The Foo Fighters.  I think their meeting with The Foo Fighters was backstage and brief.  I recall Danny saying that Dave Grohl high 5'ed her and she said something like "Let me tell you, he has some incredibly strong hands."  The implication was the high 5 was so strong it hurt and practically knocked her over 

Oh Dave would definitely have super strong hands, drumming like he does, lol. He wouldn't ever, but he could probably beat up any other big rock star if he had to.

Muse are very unique. They have prog elements that they sometimes go whole hog on and other times ignore completely. When they want to be heavy, they'll send every person in the audience into a frenzy, but they're often soft and sweet and introspective.  Black Holes & Revelations and Absolution are usually the best albums to start with. Most of their most iconic material is on those two, and they are varied and accessible enough to have something for everyone. Also yeah, Chris opened up about his alcohol abuse at the start of the 2010s and got himself cleaned up, then wrote a couple songs about it and sang them himself on Muse's 2012 album The 2nd Law. It was a big moment for him since he's usually so reclusive, and to my knowledge he's been clean and happy ever since.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh Dave would definitely have super strong hands, drumming like he does, lol. He wouldn't ever, but he could probably beat up any other big rock star if he had to.

Muse are very unique. They have prog elements that they sometimes go whole hog on and other times ignore completely. When they want to be heavy, they'll send every person in the audience into a frenzy, but they're often soft and sweet and introspective.  Black Holes & Revelations and Absolution are usually the best albums to start with. Most of their most iconic material is on those two, and they are varied and accessible enough to have something for everyone. Also yeah, Chris opened up about his alcohol abuse at the start of the 2010s and got himself cleaned up, then wrote a couple songs about it and sang them himself on Muse's 2012 album The 2nd Law. It was a big moment for him since he's usually so reclusive, and to my knowledge he's been clean and happy ever since.

Thanks a ton!!!  I will try to find the time to check those albums out.

I a way Dave doing the high 5'ing makes sense - he does have a reputation as one of the nicest & most approachable guys in rock and roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Their reaction?  YES!!!  Thats exactly why I posted it.  Danny's was about what I expected.  Pau's was about what I expected in a way.  Remember her tears at the end of the Mexico City headlining show where their teachers played with them?  Remember the last show on the May Day Tour?  Both times she broke down.  She and Danny are both so passionate about their music - it just comes out in very different ways.  Ale though - wow! Yes, 100% agree with you.  This must be the most emotion I have ever seen from her.  Shocked me.

The entires groups reaction was so genuine / authentic / honest / raw / real.  Pick whatever other word you want - I loved it.

This news was a good way to end a very crappy week for me.  Went away on a business trip and while I was on the trip some f&*%'ing idiot ran a red light and plowed into me.  Totaled my car which was a 2015 with 95,000 miles on it and it was running as good as the day I drove it off the lot.  I am not a happy camper to say the least.  Live for almost 30 years in that area and never had an accident - the first time I go back on business, damm.  End rant about drivers in the NYC area.

Getting back to The Warning, I also went to my last PT session last night and my physical therapist says to me "You know, I am a big Tool fan and I just saw they are playing some festival someplace this summer.  I forget where and I will probably not be able to go anyway, but one of the opening bands is that group you told me about, The Warning.  If they come around here at least now I have some idea who they are.  Without you I would have  had no idea who they are."  Score one for talking to people about The Warning.  Got to try to keep doing that when I can.  Note:  I have no idea what festival he was talking about of if he was just making conversation but he had no need to bring it up with me so I assume he had seen something mentioning Tool and The Warning.  If true it would be another good step for The Warning.

Now lets just hope these shows with Muse go well.  I suspect they will be really jacked up for the shows.  If they go well it would be so great for them - if not it would be such a disappointment.  Even better would be if they get to meet Muse.  I remember they go to briefly meet The Foo Fighters but they did not get to meet G & R.  If they got to meet Muse and it was a good experience it could make this dream even better.

The festival your therapist was talking about is in Columbus, Ohio in May. Tool is the headliner the day The Warning plays. Foo Fighters are playing the same festival but they're playing a couple of days later. The Warning will also be playing festivals in Florida and Arizona in May before doing the two festivals in Germany. I'm guessing there are more European shows coming since it doesn't make sense to go all the way there for two short sets then come back home immediately.

I think the odds of meeting Muse are pretty decent since they will have a handful of shows with them. Two of those shows are in Mexico City so they will be in the same place for a few days. It's possible that's when it will happen. I'm not the least bit surprised that they didn't meet Axl, Slash or Duff. It was a one off show and honestly a band the status of GnR doesn't really own anything to a random one time opener. Also, Axl is as reclusive as one could get. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even leave his dressing room until it was time to play. Slash is the same way if he's not doing anything with GnR or his band with Myles Kennedy, he lays pretty low too. I know The Warning briefly meet the Foo's. They did greet them backstage after their set and told them "good job". When they opened for Def Leppard I remember them saying that they did chat with them backstage. They said they were giving Rick Allen tips on how to stay cool in the Mexican heat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

The festival your therapist was talking about is in Columbus, Ohio in May. Tool is the headliner the day The Warning plays. Foo Fighters are playing the same festival but they're playing a couple of days later. The Warning will also be playing festivals in Florida and Arizona in May before doing the two festivals in Germany. I'm guessing there are more European shows coming since it doesn't make sense to go all the way there for two short sets then come back home immediately.

I think the odds of meeting Muse are pretty decent since they will have a handful of shows with them. Two of those shows are in Mexico City so they will be in the same place for a few days. It's possible that's when it will happen. I'm not the least bit surprised that they didn't meet Axl, Slash or Duff. It was a one off show and honestly a band the status of GnR doesn't really own anything to a random one time opener. Also, Axl is as reclusive as one could get. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even leave his dressing room until it was time to play. Slash is the same way if he's not doing anything with GnR or his band with Myles Kennedy, he lays pretty low too. I know The Warning briefly meet the Foo's. They did greet them backstage after their set and told them "good job". When they opened for Def Leppard I remember them saying that they did chat with them backstage. They said they were giving Rick Allen tips on how to stay cool in the Mexican heat.

Thanks for the confirmation of what my therapist told me.  Even if its a festival, The Warning & Tool together makes sense to me.  I really hope that if the meet Muse it goes well - would be terrible if their idols turned out to be jerks to them or ignored them.  

I do recall that G & R's road crew came up tho them and thanked them for the opening set - so at least they were decent even if the band was, well, typical G & R.

The story about Def Leopard is so, well, cool.  In some strange way DL might identify with them.   The Warning are young and up and coming.  One upon a time that was DL - remember they were in their late teen's & early 20's when they put out On Through The Night (their first album).  I can see DL saying "That was us once upon a time." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Thanks for the confirmation of what my therapist told me.  Even if its a festival, The Warning & Tool together makes sense to me.  I really hope that if the meet Muse it goes well - would be terrible if their idols turned out to be jerks to them or ignored them.  

I do recall that G & R's road crew came up tho them and thanked them for the opening set - so at least they were decent even if the band was, well, typical G & R.

The story about Def Leopard is so, well, cool.  In some strange way DL might identify with them.   The Warning are young and up and coming.  One upon a time that was DL - remember they were in their late teen's & early 20's when they put out On Through The Night (their first album).  I can see DL saying "That was us once upon a time." 

It's not like they're on right before Tool or anything. The Warning is on much earlier in the day and there's at least ten other bands that play before Tool takes the stage. Festival lineups don't make much sense. They try to cram as many bands and as much musical variety into one day as they possibly can. How some music fans have the physical endurance and patience to attend one of these multiple day festivals is beyond me. I guess these people have no issues waiting in line for an hour to take a crap in a dirty overflowing port-a-potty😄

EP would know better than me how friendly Muse would be with their openers. I'm guessing since they have four shows the band might chat with them briefly or at the very least say "hi" and walk away.

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's not like they're on right before Tool or anything. The Warning is on much earlier in the day and there's at least ten other bands that play before Tool takes the stage. Festival lineups don't make much sense. They try to cram as many bands and as much musical variety into one day as they possibly can. How some music fans have the physical endurance and patience to attend one of these multiple day festivals is beyond me. I guess these people have no issues waiting in line for an hour to take a crap in a dirty overflowing port-a-potty😄

EP would know better than me how friendly Muse would be with their openers. I'm guessing since they have four shows the band might chat with them briefly or at the very least say "hi" and walk away.

Muse aren't known to be jerks or egomaniacs of any sort. My understanding is they can be pretty reclusive, but i think they're just introverted.  I wouldn't be surprised if The Warning don't get a chance to meet them, but if they do I'm certain Matt, Dom, and Chris will be decent and complimentary.  They don't start drama and they don't do anything stupid.

19 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

New merch store is finally up and running. US based and ships worldwide.

https://thewarningmerch.com/

Ooo, is XXI Century Blood good? I see that’s available as a CD in there.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wait Nevermind it’s sold out, lol

Us fans on Patreon are so greedy. We got early access on Saturday and caused the signed Error vinyl and 21st Century Blood to sell out right after launch. 

Sorry 😄

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ooo, is XXI Century Blood good? I see that’s available as a CD in there.

Yes, it is very good considering how young they were. Dany and Pau were in high school when they wrote and recorded it. Here's a big fan favorite off it. This song was written by Dany while the band was away for the summer taking a musical course at Berkeley. It was the first time they had ever been away from home for an extended period of time and she wrote it about what being homesick was doing to her mentally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Us fans on Patreon are so greedy. We got early access on Saturday and caused the signed Error vinyl and 21st Century Blood to sell out right after launch. 

Sorry 😄

Lol, it’s no big deal. Lesson that maybe I should get on the patreon in case they ever do a physical run of QOTMS

40ish is a bit steep for one album, even a double LP, but I’ll think about it again in a few weeks. I’m supposed to be moving before items from the store would ship, so I’m not gonna buy anything just yet.

10 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, it is very good considering how young they were. Dany and Pau were in high school when they wrote and recorded it. Here's a big fan favorite off it. This song was written by Dany while the band was away for the summer taking a musical course at Berkeley. It was the first time they had ever been away from home for an extended period of time and she wrote it about what being homesick was doing to her mentally.

Wow that was great! I love how the chorus keep building.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wow that was great! I love how the chorus keep building.

Here's a live version of it. They changed the arrangement for the first verse and chorus. I actually think it adds more emotional weight to the song.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol, it’s no big deal. Lesson that maybe I should get on the patreon in case they ever do a physical run of QOTMS

I don't think that would happen again. The site is launched now, so if QOTMS is released it will be up on the store for everyone right away. Opening the site to Patreon first was easy to do since nobody knew the site existed yet. Now they do and people will be on the lookout for stuff. I'm not sure if it was a Patreon perk but people on the discord server who ordered the vinyl have already gotten emails that their order has shipped. So maybe that was a miscalculation on when they would be ready for shipping. If you do decide to join the Patreon the first tier is only a dollar a month.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't think that would happen again. The site is launched now, so if QOTMS is released it will be up on the store for everyone right away. Opening the site to Patreon first was easy to do since nobody knew the site existed yet. Now they do and people will be on the lookout for stuff. I'm not sure if it was a Patreon perk but people on the discord server who ordered the vinyl have already gotten emails that their order has shipped. So maybe that was a miscalculation on when they would be ready for shipping. If you do decide to join the Patreon the first tier is only a dollar a month.

Well it couldn't hurt. I'll think about it.