The Archiving of Topics

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

As I alluded to in recent discussions about the board's performance problems, we have started archiving older threads.

The parameters are such: Any thread that hasn't (in most forums) seen a new post in 13 years, does not contain a poll, and isn't pinned, will go into archive mode. Those are pretty conservative rules, but since a lot of content was posted during the early days, archiving the first four years clears out about 35% of our total threads. Archiving moves those threads to a different database, lessening the load on the main one. When you have a long-standing community like ours with a lot of posts (approaching 5 million), at some point you have to do some pruning.

The good news is, all archived threads are still visible, still in their same locations as before. Archived threads are read-only. We can't post in them, and we can't edit them -- not even us mods. The big drawback is they don't show up in search results. The search function only searches the main database, where the archived threads no longer reside. If you wanted to go back and read some old topic that you remember from 14 years ago, you'll have to search for it the hard way. That kinda sucks, but it's a necessary step given the age and size of the board. It's better than permanently deleting them.

We're doing one forum at a time. So far, NWW, OLV and the tour meetup archives are done (those meetup subforums are 100% archived for obvious reasons). RP is currently being done. We won't see much of an uptick in board speed in those forums given their relatively small size. The big ones, of course, will be RS, GD, MoTS and Rush. Once those are done we should hopefully see faster speeds when entering and navigating those sections.

Some forums won't be archived. Finding My Way, Open Secrets and Exercises in Self-Indulgence (now moved out of MoTS to the main board) are small forums and will stay as is. Feedback is all polls, so no changes there. Will probably leave Roll The Bones alone, too.

Unlike a lot of online communities, we do not discourage resurrecting old threads. If you had a comment or question on a particular subject and there's already an existing topic that hasn't been active in a while, and especially if that topic's posts provide useful context, by all means make a post. If that thread is archived and you really have something worthwhile to add to it, archived threads can be un-archived and made active again. Just PM me with a link and give a brief reason why you want the thread re-opened.

• Like 11

As I alluded to in recent discussions about the board's performance problems, we have started archiving older threads.

The parameters are such: Any thread that hasn't (in most forums) seen a new post in 13 years, does not contain a poll, and isn't pinned, will go into archive mode. Those are pretty conservative rules, but since a lot of content was posted during the early days, archiving the first four years clears out about 35% of our total threads. Archiving moves those threads to a different database, lessening the load on the main one. When you have a long-standing community like ours with a lot of posts (approaching 5 million), at some point you have to do some pruning.

The good news is, all archived threads are still visible, still in their same locations as before. Archived threads are read-only. We can't post in them, and we can't edit them -- not even us mods. The big drawback is they don't show up in search results. The search function only searches the main database, where the archived threads no longer reside. If you wanted to go back and read some old topic that you remember from 14 years ago, you'll have to search for it the hard way. That kinda sucks, but it's a necessary step given the age and size of the board. It's better than permanently deleting them.

We're doing one forum at a time. So far, NWW, OLV and the tour meetup archives are done (those meetup subforums are 100% archived for obvious reasons). RP is currently being done. We won't see much of an uptick in board speed in those forums given their relatively small size. The big ones, of course, will be RS, GD, MoTS and Rush. Once those are done we should hopefully see faster speeds when entering and navigating those sections.

Some forums won't be archived. Finding My Way, Open Secrets and Exercises in Self-Indulgence (now moved out of MoTS to the main board) are small forums and will stay as is. Feedback is all polls, so no changes there. Will probably leave Roll The Bones alone, too.

Unlike a lot of online communities, we do not discourage resurrecting old threads. If you had a comment or question on a particular subject and there's already an existing topic that hasn't been active in a while, and especially if that topic's posts provide useful context, by all means make a post. If that thread is archived and you really have something worthwhile to add to it, archived threads can be un-archived and made active again. Just PM me with a link and give a brief reason why you want the thread re-opened.

My god, don't you know how important it is in SOCN to be able to hold someone accountable for something they said back when Bush was still POTUS?! The horror!

• Like 3

My god, don't you know how important it is in SOCN to be able to hold someone accountable for something they said back when Bush was still POTUS?! The horror!

I'm pretty sure SOCN goes back to the days of Stalin. Besides, archived or not, those posts you made campaigning for Ross Perot will still be in there. ;)

I'm pretty sure SOCN goes back to the days of Stalin. Besides, archived or not, those posts you made campaigning for Ross Perot will still be in there. ;)

Just lay back and enjoy it.

So, so tempting....

So, so tempting....

:tempted:

• Like 1

So, so tempting....

:lol:

So, so tempting....

Is... is that a new emote? Have I seen that before?

This is just for me to keep track.

Archived

New World Women

One Little Victory

Tour Meetup Archives

Reverse Polarity

Currently Archiving

Music Of The Spheres

2607 threads archived so far in two days. MoTS by itself will archive 3067.

• Like 1

Thank you 73! You are consistently the greatest moderator I've ever met anywhere online!

• Like 1

So, so tempting....

That one has been here longer than you. :yes:

• Like 1

So, so tempting....

That one has been here longer than you. :yes:

I must be blind!

• Like 1

Woah, did Exercises In Self Indulgence just now get moved to being it's own subform (no longer under MOTS) or did that happen a few days ago when the board came back?

Woah, did Exercises In Self Indulgence just now get moved to being it's own subform (no longer under MOTS) or did that happen a few days ago when the board came back?

I mentioned that at the top. I moved it out earlier today. Felt like giving it more exposure. Some talented people here. :Alex:

• Like 2

As long as I can still search for the Groupie Barbie thread when I need a laugh! :) The photos of her on tour are hilarious. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I mentioned that at the top. I moved it out earlier today. Felt like giving it more exposure. Some talented people here. :Alex:

D'oh, well that proves it, I'm definitely blind, lol. Awesome!

As long as I can still search for the Groupie Barbie thread when I need a laugh! :) The photos of her on tour are hilarious.

:ebert:
  • Like 1

I approve of this message.

• Like 2

As long as I can still search for the Groupie Barbie thread when I need a laugh! :) The photos of her on tour are hilarious.

Where is that thread?

I just found it! It is actually "Groupie Barbie on Tour" and it's in the Rush forum. http://www.therushfo...barbie-on-tour/ I hadn't looked at it in awhile; the Photobucket watermark over all of the Barbies kind of detracts from the humor a bit . .

Edited by blueschica

Where is that thread?

I just found it! It is actually "Groupie Barbie on Tour" and it's in the Rush forum. http://www.therushfo...barbie-on-tour/ I hadn't looked at it in awhile; the Photobucket watermark over all of the Barbies kind of detracts from the humor a bit . .

Nice! The last post in that thread was from 2019, so you'll still be able to search for it once that forum is archived.

• Like 1

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for everything you and the mods do to keep this place going! It would have been easy to abandon it over the last few "Rushless" years.

• Like 4