• Death Magnetic (2008)
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Kill 'Em All (1983)
    • Ride The Lightning (1984)
    • Master Of Puppets (1986)
    • ...And Justice For All (1988)
    • Metallica (Black Album) (1991)
    • Death Magnetic (2008)

Interesting. Thought it might be a Black vs Master showdown at the end. Not sure what I think about Black. Like it but not sure if I like it enough over the others.

Soft spot for Ride the Lightning although don't rate Creeping Death near the top of the list - For Whom, Fade and the other 'thrash' tracks (Fight fire with fire) do it more for me.

Bit like Permanent Waves Vs Moving Pictures. Love Disposable Heroes, Damage Inc, Battery and Orion on M of P over the other more lauded(?) tracks. Well I know Master of Puppets, the track, is highly thought of but is midway on the album for me.

Maybe I just buck the trend for these 'big' tracks.

Quite like Death Magnetic and And Justice too even with the controversial mix for the latter.

Kill em all a classic but showing it's age over the others methinks....

Out of these 'Kill 'em All' is my last favorite. But there are two albums I'm removing before I attack that one anyway.

Because that debut, complete with some ridiculously adolescent ideas, is so full of pure emotion that I hear more honesty in that album than any of the others.

So it lasts another two rounds.

I'll be attacking Black and Death next, and the choice is hard. Death is their best album after Justice, and probably more 'Metallica' in view of what I expect than Black.

But the Black album, taken as a hard Rock album rather than thrash, is actually very very good. If I view it purely musically and not through the lens of my let down younger self, I think it's better than Death.

So Death is out, Black is leaving next, and then good bye debut.

And yes, Master will win it all

Edited by Mosher

What I find fascinating, and this could be posted in a few of these elimination threads, is how Rush fans, usually so proud to defend the evolution from PeW to PoW, so frequently say something to the effect of, "I don't like [the black album, 90125, Eliminator, etc.] because it's too different from what first drew me to the band."
  • Like 1

What I find fascinating, and this could be posted in a few of these elimination threads, is how Rush fans, usually so proud to defend the evolution from PeW to PoW, so frequently say something to the effect of, "I don't like [the black album, 90125, Eliminator, etc.] because it's too different from what first drew me to the band."

I'm still struggling with what many find repulsive about the black album. Like, fine, it's more "commercial" but the songs are good and still pretty "metal" by Metallica's standards at least, even if it doesn't have the 8 minute riff-fests that made the previous albums great.