The Official 2021-22 NHL Season Thread

Crimsonmistymemory

:o Stan Bowman out as GM of the Hawks. Allegations of sexual assault cover-up from 2010.

Without anything additional regarding his crappy job performance? I am shocked, shocked!
  • Like 2

:o Stan Bowman out as GM of the Hawks. Allegations of sexual assault cover-up from 2010.

Without anything additional regarding his crappy job performance? I am shocked, shocked!

Watch out. Quenneville was in on the cover-up. The long arm of the law and all that...
  • Like 1

Watch out. Quenneville was in on the cover-up. The long arm of the law and all that...

So be it, if Joel is involved, give him the boot, too.
  • Like 3

Bolts looking closer to they style of play that helped them be champs tonight in Pittsburgh. Up 3-0 in the 3rd (13:00). However they need to do something after the 5-1 trouncing they got in Buffalo last night. On an injury update Nikita Kucherov will be out for at least 8 morenweeks!!! :(

Let's GO BOLTS!!!

:hockey:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

I just heard the Blackhawks will be fined $2 Million smackers on top of everything!!

• Like 1

I am very disappointed in the Blackhawks, I know there are always bad apples but this systematic dysfunction is bad. After reading the testimony of the former team member, it really distresses me that they shamed him and added to the abuse. Names were not given but it makes the 2010 team look bad. The fact that their inaction contributed to another person being abused DURING the 2010 Cup celebrations is disgusting. At least Bowman is gone, now it remains to be seen if the season can be salvaged.
  • Like 5

I am very disappointed in the Blackhawks, I know there are always bad apples but this systematic dysfunction is bad. After reading the testimony of the former team member, it really distresses me that they shamed him and added to the abuse. Names were not given but it makes the 2010 team look bad. The fact that their inaction contributed to another person being abused DURING the 2010 Cup celebrations is disgusting. At least Bowman is gone, now it remains to be seen if the season can be salvaged.

Obviously, the management didn't want any stink to come out during the Cup run and even after. That's why McDonough hushed the incident and later had Aldrich resign quietly. Reading the testimonies, without going into details, I can understand how the brass might have thought the encounter was consensual, but this was still a coach/player sexual behavior. It had to be investigated immediately. The $2 million fine is a joke, $2 million subtracted from the team's cap for a few years, now you're talking.
  • Like 2

Obviously, the management didn't want any stink to come out during the Cup run and even after. That's why McDonough hushed the incident and later had Aldrich resign quietly. Reading the testimonies, without going into details, I can understand how the brass might have thought the encounter was consensual, but this was still a coach/player sexual behavior. It had to be investigated immediately. The $2 million fine is a joke, $2 million subtracted from the team's cap for a few years, now you're talking.

I do think the fine is just a slap on the wrist and Bowman will end up with a job somewhere else eventually :rage: His statement was a joke, my boss said he'd do something so I don't have to...total B.S. It also makes me think his firing of Q and McDonough might have been tainted by this since it wasn't public knowledge at the time of those dismissals.

I get that it would have been bad to have this come out during the playoffs but it looks so selfish and tone deaf. I also don't think threats of physical force (i.e. baseball bat) are conducive to consent but in any event the fact Aldrich abused several people after this incident is bad in so many ways. I still don't know how this won't affect the fans and they lose some support. Very sad :sigh:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

I do think the fine is just a slap on the wrist and Bowman will end up with a job somewhere else eventually :rage: His statement was a joke, my boss said he'd do something so I don't have to...total B.S. It also makes me think his firing of Q and McDonough might have been tainted by this since it wasn't public knowledge at the time of those dismissals.

I get that it would have been bad to have this come out during the playoffs but it looks so selfish and tone deaf. I also don't think threats of physical force (i.e. baseball bat) are conducive to consent but in any event the fact Aldrich abused several people after this incident is bad in so many ways. I still don't know how this won't affect the fans and they lose some support. Very sad :sigh:

It depends what Kyle Beach ( as we now know ) told Jim Gary. If he mentioned the baseball bat, that would introduce a threat of violence, which would be even more damning to McDonough and others. It's the explicit parts of the story that has me scratching my head as to what was really going on. There is the issue of the drugged drinks, but Kyle was able to leave Aldrich's apartment and get home without problems. But the bottom line is, the whole affair was handled horribly by people very far removed from being teenagers. Inexcusable.
  • Like 1

Leafs 3 Hawks 2 in OT. :guitar: The Spanish announcer didn't help. 0-5-2

At least they lead the game over 2 periods, that's some progress... :hockeygoon:

• Like 2

Leafs 3 Hawks 2 in OT. :guitar: The Spanish announcer didn't help. 0-5-2

At least they lead the game over 2 periods, that's some progress... :hockeygoon:

Only five points out of a playoff spot. :cool:
  • Like 1

Quenneville has resigned.

• Like 3

It depends what Kyle Beach ( as we now know ) told Jim Gary. If he mentioned the baseball bat, that would introduce a threat of violence, which would be even more damning to McDonough and others. It's the explicit parts of the story that has me scratching my head as to what was really going on. There is the issue of the drugged drinks, but Kyle was able to leave Aldrich's apartment and get home without problems. But the bottom line is, the whole affair was handled horribly by people very far removed from being teenagers. Inexcusable.

I had only sort of followed this story, but just read a lengthy write-up about it on The Ringer, and it's absolutely awful. Not just the management that swept the problems under the rug -- that sort of thing we've come to expect from Penn St to the USOC -- but from the poor guy's fellow players, who made him a target of jokes. And now several of them claim they didn't know -- how likely is that?

• Like 1

I had only sort of followed this story, but just read a lengthy write-up about it on The Ringer, and it's absolutely awful. Not just the management that swept the problems under the rug -- that sort of thing we've come to expect from Penn St to the USOC -- but from the poor guy's fellow players, who made him a target of jokes. And now several of them claim they didn't know -- how likely is that?

It is hard to believe that they didn't know, Daniel Carrillo said that even the Philly players were whispering about it during the playoffs in 2010. It makes the comments Toews made after the game on the 26th so tone deaf. I expected better of him and Kane tried to say all the right things but it rang hollow for me.

If it was an isolated incident that would be bad enough but there were several other questionable situations over the years that makes it seem like management chose hiding their head in the sand as the standard operating procedure. I hope this is a big wake up call for the whole league since I am sure there are other teams with skeletons in their closets. Hockey has a checkered past with many junior players telling tales of abuse for a long time, hope this brings some accountability across the board.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

The Wirtz family has written a letter to the Hockey Hall of Fame today asking Aldrich's name be removed from the Stanley Cup.
  • Like 1

Quenneville has resigned.

Dave Hyde went off in today's Sun-Sentinel over how the Panthers allowed Quennville behind the bench against the Bruins Wednesday night, under the assumption that management knew the jig was up. Tonight and tomorrow night's games in Detroit and Boston will test their mettle for sure.

HERE'S TO 9-0, GO CATS!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I just watched the Hawks beat the Wings 7-1 in game six of the 1989 playoffs. I expect the same scoreline tonight in Carolina. :P You guys should've seen Hawks second goal: Vincelette hits Chiasson from behind into the boards, glass breaks, lands on the fans, Koharski lets the play continue and Larmer scores. Ah, those were the days. :wub:
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to The Official 2021-22 NHL Season Thread
  • The topic was unpinned