Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

ABBA- Voyage (7/10)

This is my first time listen, and I loved every single second. This isn't a band coming back after forty years trying to recapture their youth, this is clearly a work of heart from four old friends, in their seventies, writing and performing music that reflects their roots, their inspirations, and absolutely no effort was made to pander to the modern pop climate.

Intimate, heartfelt, tender, this lacks the vitality and energy of their younger years, and in its place is a maturity and sweetness that is oh so charming. ABBA owe is nothing, they have proven themselves one of the most beloved pop groups of all time, and this new album is as honest as it is unexpected.

They may not have outdone themselves, but it's a lovely little album to end their time as a band with, replacing the near forty year downer that was their former swansong, The Visitors.

Older, wiser, and still in love with music, ABBA have done something to be proud of. I don't think the public at large will love this album, there are no pop bangers with the ambition to top the charts (and honestly, I don't think ABBA even care about the charts in 2021).

I'm just very happy with this. It feels in every single way like a gentle farewell and thank you for the fun to the fans who have loyally stood by them.

Not playing towards modern pop trends when you’re a 20+ year old band should almost be common sense. Very rarely has anyone pulled that sort of thing off, and even rarer without significant contributions from a younger more current artist. Glad to hear the new ABBA is good. I’m not a fan really, but I don’t dislike them. I have a couple albums and they’re pretty good. I’ll try to give this one a spin.

• Like 1

black-sabbath-heaven-and-hell.jpg

ac-dc-back-in-black.jpg

rush-permanent-waves.jpg

ozzy-osbourne-blizzard-of-ozz.jpg

judas-priest-british-steel.jpg

4 of my favorite albums of all time.

I must know, which of the 5 albums there doesn’t make the cut?

ac-dc-back-in-black.jpg

rush-permanent-waves.jpg

I must know, which of the 5 albums there doesn’t make the cut?

As much as I like British Steel, it's not my favorite Priest album. The other 4 are likely my favorite album by each artist, with the only exception being that Moving Pictures and PeW are tied for number 1.

• Like 3

ac-dc-back-in-black.jpg

rush-permanent-waves.jpg

1980 must be a good year for you then.

On Through the Night, Iron Maiden, Women and Children First, Zenyatta Mondatta, Remain in Light, Emotional Rescue, Hi InFidelity. A lot of albums I still listen to frequently came out that year. I turned 13 that year, so it's not that surprising that it's arguably my favorite year in music.

• Like 2

Mastodon- Hushed And Grim (10/10)

I am infatuated with this album, and I have to say it's been a very long time since I have loved anything this much. It is my album of the year without any shadow of a doubt, although Biffy Clyro are firmly protective n second place.

• The topic was locked