Moving Pictures certified 5x platinum

New_World_Man

I often look up album certifications on the riaa website and just noticed that moving pictures went five times platinum on April 19th(2021). Maybe not a really big deal but interesting to those of us who follow such things. What I find strange is that the only other Rush album(not counting compilations)to be cerfified multi-platinum is 2112(3x). Permanent waves hasn't even gone double which surprises me. Oh well. I guess it will be a while before MP catches up to back in black, LZ 4 or Hotel California though.
  • Like 3

Wow, interesting for it to hit that milestone in an age where nobody is buying albums!

RIAA can be very slow at updating these figures though. Sometimes they won't do anything unless it's requested by the band or their management. So, the album could have reached 5 million years ago but an update wasn't requested until recently. Regardless of when it did hit 5 million, it's still a really nice achievement for the album.

• Like 1

Great achievement, but well deserved for an album which brought so many new fans into the Rush appreciation society!!
  • Like 2

Wow, interesting for it to hit that milestone in an age where nobody is buying albums!

RIAA can be very slow at updating these figures though. Sometimes they won't do anything unless it's requested by the band or their management. So, the album could have reached 5 million years ago but an update wasn't requested until recently. Regardless of when it did hit 5 million, it's still a really nice achievement for the album.

Hmmmm....maybe management reached out to them to provide an up to date certification for the liner notes to the as-of-yet-unannounced MP 40th anniversary release?

• Like 2

Hmmmm....maybe management reached out to them to provide an up to date certification for the liner notes to the as-of-yet-unannounced MP 40th anniversary release?

Ah!!!! the power of positive thinking! I like it!
  • Like 1

It reached 4 million in 1995. I thought I read somewhere online that it had reached 4.4 million around 2012. Album sales itself are slow for older albums. In general what you say is correct though but I don't think it has been sitting on 5 million for too long. Also, there are other bands who have albums that I'm pretty sure need to be recertified. Like you said I think management or someone has to request that information.

It reached 4 million in 1995. I thought I read somewhere online that it had reached 4.4 million around 2012. Album sales itself are slow for older albums. In general what you say is correct though but I don't think it has been sitting on 5 million for too long. Also, there are other bands who have albums that I'm pretty sure need to be recertified. Like you said I think management or someone has to request that information.

I have read some things online before about how an album can be gold or platinum but never got the certification because the record label needs to pay for the official certification. So, there are probably many albums out there that have reached that status but haven't actually got it due to the record label or someone else working for the band not bothering to pay for it.

In the case of Moving Pictures, I also think this is a more recent accomplishment. The end of the band and Neil's death most likely helped it get there. I am also surprised by Permanent Waves only being platinum. With how popular Spirit and Freewill have become, I would have thought at least double platinum for that by now.

• Like 2

^ I totally agree with what you say about albums not being certified that are way over due. They have Bowie's Ziggy Stardust at only gold. I would bet a lot of money that it has gone at least three times platinum by now. Who's Next is only at three times platinum. I'm sure there are many others maybe even some other Rush and other prog stuff too.
  • Like 1

Could be a sign for that. I'm guessing it was the record label that paid for it. Perhaps it was to gauge interest in how many they might need to make so they don't get caught with a lot of overstock.

That's great news. I wish Vapor Trails, S&A, and Clockwork Angels could reach the Gold certification plateau...maybe one day.

For those interested, you can see all of Rush's RIAA certifications on a single page here:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/certifications-riaa.php

Interesting, So the top 3 selling Rush albums when you include all studio, live and compilations are:

MP 5x platinum

2112 3x platinum

Chronicles 2x platinum

Never would have guessed Chronicles in 3rd.