THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Delta airlines is offering a flight from Austin, TX to Detroit on April 8th which will pretty much follow the path of the eclipse to give people a great chance to see it for an extended time. The plane they chose is supposed to have larger windows than most but last I looked it was $500+ for a one way ticket. Plus, Detroit.

Considering what you get, that's not bad. That's better than flying somewhere and booking a hotel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Delta airlines is offering a flight from Austin, TX to Detroit on April 8th which will pretty much follow the path of the eclipse to give people a great chance to see it for an extended time. The plane they chose is supposed to have larger windows than most but last I looked it was $500+ for a one way ticket. Plus, Detroit.

Detroit is a cool city, long on the rise now. Still plenty of shitty stuff for a progressive to admire.

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2024 at 1:18 PM, Union 5-3992 said:

Dang, Primus announced a show the day I'm going to PA to go camping with my SO's family lol

At least I hate Coheed and Cambria so it stings a bit less

Such a random duo to tour together. I could probably sit through part of a Coheed and Cambira set.

20 hours ago, That One Guy said:

We watched the last eclipse from Lynndyl. Nowheresville, off a dirt road. Cutest farm dog ever kept us company.

My dog was there?!?

I think Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle Earth" album sets a good example for symphonic metal. When bands like Nightwish or Rhapsody completely drown out the band with a symphony it can sound cool but it really takes away from live show transferability as well as the aspect of it being metal music to begin with... 

Blind Guardian did get a little bit out of hand with the symphonies for a couple albums there (certain songs on Edge of Time & Beyond the Red Mirror), but they did it perfectly on Nightfall, there's only one or two symphonic tracks going on at a time, if at all, and it never takes away from what the band itself is doing. A single keyboardist phoning it in for live performances (which is what they do) works out perfectly

Just now, Mr. Not said:

I think Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle Earth" album sets a good example for symphonic metal. When bands like Nightwish or Rhapsody completely drown out the band with a symphony it can sound cool but it really takes away from live show transferability as well as the aspect of it being metal music to begin with... 

Blind Guardian did get a little bit out of hand with the symphonies for a couple albums there (certain songs on Edge of Time & Beyond the Red Mirror), but they did it perfectly on Nightfall, there's only one or two symphonic tracks going on at a time, if at all, and it never takes away from what the band itself is doing. A single keyboardist phoning it in for live performances (which is what they do) works out perfectly

I'd take Nightfall over all of Nightwish's discography, and I'd say the same thing about Rhapsody's if it weren't for Luca's guitar solos being GOAT 

1 minute ago, Mr. Not said:

this has been the song for me lately

Acclaim[edit]

"Telegraph Road" is often considered as a masterpiece in rock music.[14] In a contemporary review for Rolling Stone magazine, David Fricke praised "Telegraph Road", and he characterized as a "challenge to the average pop fan's attention span" with its "historic sweep and intimate tension.";[15] it is overall considered as one of the band's best songs, if not outright their absolute masterpiece.[16] Loudersound.com ranks "Telegraph Road" 6th among Dire Straits' best songs,[17] while Return of Rock ranks it 5th, describing it as "A fourteen-minute masterpiece worth every second of its length, which it deserves to be on the list of the best long-form songs and progressive rock songs."[18]

• Like 1

My boss started playing a live "Triumph" album on his radio today and said "These guys are the best three piece band to come out of Canada" - I laughed and said "bullshit", to which he responded, "I'm serious"

Hipster boomer... He knew what he was doing. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

Acclaim[edit]

"Telegraph Road" is often considered as a masterpiece in rock music.[14] In a contemporary review for Rolling Stone magazine, David Fricke praised "Telegraph Road", and he characterized as a "challenge to the average pop fan's attention span" with its "historic sweep and intimate tension.";[15] it is overall considered as one of the band's best songs, if not outright their absolute masterpiece.[16] Loudersound.com ranks "Telegraph Road" 6th among Dire Straits' best songs,[17] while Return of Rock ranks it 5th, describing it as "A fourteen-minute masterpiece worth every second of its length, which it deserves to be on the list of the best long-form songs and progressive rock songs."[18]

I was unfamiliar and gave it a listen, cool stuff.

• Like 2

With the exception of the car dependency (not really any worse than Utah though), I would love living in several places in California if I didn’t have family and friend ties here. No job offer would get me into Texas or Florida or anywhere in between though. I’ve heard farm feed store guys say that opinion isn’t possible, but I guess it is. 

• Like 1

I didn’t see Cali for a whole decade, and then I went like five times in five years counting another upcoming wedding 

Today is the best I’ve felt in 10 days. Maybe I’m FINALLY climbing out. I’ve totally forgotten what feeling ordinary and normal feels like. 

“Landlords take all the risk”

Landlord: any chance you’ll be willing to pay rent a little early this month? I need it to make the mortgage on time. 

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for a while and finally decided to put some effort toward finding something. I wanted a small-mid sized hybrid SUV. I've done lots of reading, researching, reviewing, etc and decided I was going with an awd Kia Sportage for various reasons. The problem was, the 2 colors I was interested in are in short supply and the next one scheduled in was the first week of April but I decided I'd wait. 

In the mean time I've been looking at all electric vehicles and the one's the are awd are pretty expensive and if they aren't mostly made in the US there's no more $7500 tax incentive. Yesterday I looked at Tesla (I'd overlooked them) and saw that they have a Model Y that's a mid size SUV and with the tax incentive is in my price range. Then I found one in the color I wanted that has a $2500 "price adjustment" (reduction) so in addition to the tax break makes it much more appealing the only issue is it's about 2 hours away but I'm willing to drive that to save that kind of dough.

Throw in my vehicle as a trade in and it's even better yet. Going to talk to them tomorrow to ensure it's still available and if so, heading up there on Wednesday. I test drove one today and really liked it except there will be a learning curve with so much of the controls centered on the touch screen. Pretty good acceleration too (long range model).

Edited by BastillePark

On 2/24/2024 at 4:17 PM, That One Guy said:

With the exception of the car dependency (not really any worse than Utah though), I would love living in several places in California if I didn’t have family and friend ties here. No job offer would get me into Texas or Florida or anywhere in between though. I’ve heard farm feed store guys say that opinion isn’t possible, but I guess it is. 

You know how I know you're gay...?

5 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for a while and finally decided to put some effort toward finding something. I wanted a small-mid sized hybrid SUV. I've done lots of reading, researching, reviewing, etc and decided I was going with an awd Kia Sportage for various reasons. The problem was, the 2 colors I was interested in are in short supply and the next one scheduled in was the first week of April but I decided I'd wait. 

In the mean time I've been looking at all electric vehicles and the one's the are awd are pretty expensive and if they aren't mostly made in the US there's no more $7500 tax incentive. Yesterday I looked at Tesla (I'd overlooked them) and saw that they have a Model Y that's a mid size SUV and with the tax incentive is in my price range. Then I found one in the color I wanted that has a $2500 "price adjustment" (reduction) so in addition to the tax break makes it much more appealing the only issue is it's about 2 hours away but I'm willing to drive that to save that kind of dough.

Throw in my vehicle as a trade in and it's even better yet. Going to talk to them tomorrow to ensure it's still available and if so, heading up there on Wednesday. I test drove one today and really liked it except there will be a learning curve with so much of the controls centered on the touch screen. Pretty good acceleration too (long range model).

Ditto