RIP Larry Flynt

HemiBeers

Founder of Hustler magazine.

Educator of millions of young males, employer of thousands of young ladies 'working their way through college' and society provocateur.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He should be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Larry. Edited by Derek19

This Just In: The city of Cincinnati is still trying to file lawsuits against Mr. Flynt before his body is buried. :eh:
  • Like 2

Flynn's contribution to free speech protection was significant.

"[Flynt]won a landmark Supreme Court victory over Rev. Jerry Falwell, who sued him for libel over a 1983 Hustler alcohol ad. The court ruled that public figures cannot collect damages for emotional distress caused by a caricature, parody, or satire of the figure that a reasonable person would not believe to be true."

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/court-battles-and-controversy-dominate-hustler-founder-larry-flynts-history-with-cincinnati

• Like 3

"[Flynt]won a landmark Supreme Court victory over Rev. Jerry Falwell, who sued him for libel over a 1983 Hustler alcohol ad. The court ruled that public figures cannot collect damages for emotional distress caused by a caricature, parody, or satire of the figure that a reasonable person would not believe to be true."

https://www.wcpo.com...with-cincinnati

Was that the one about Falwell saying "the first time" was with his mother in an outhouse?
  • Like 2

https://www.wcpo.com...with-cincinnati

I still remember Flynt battling Hamilton County prosecutor Simon Leis in court. Those of us who lived in the Cincinnati area got nightly reports on Larry Flynt’s adventures. It was a night time soap opera.

Being typical teenage boys, my buddies and I were all about getting our hands on Playboy, Penthouse, OUI and any other “girly mags”. Hustler, though, was way too “out there” for me. Most of it was disgusting.

• Like 1

I remember when Jerry Falwell said that he was offended by Hustler because he was a Christian, and Jay Leno said, "Pagans and Druids are offended by Hustler!"

Larry Flynt was certainly an equal opportunity offender! He even called the Supreme Court "Eight a--holes and a token c--- " . :o