The Random Music Question Thread

Lorraine

How come Jimmy Page never did well on his own after Led Zep ended?

He was a talented man.

Well he had the Firm with Paul Rodgers and he did the Coverdale/Page project. He also did soundtracks like Death Wish 2. He didn't become a big superstar after Zeppelin, like his old rival from the Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, because he's not a singer and he didn't sell out, ie no unplugged albums with soft rock nonsense. Page needed another band to take off like Zeppelin but it never happened, lightning doesn't strike twice.

• Like 3

He was a talented man.

The zeitgeist had moved on. Without the Led Zeppelin flag to fly under, he was an old timer in a world of young flashy EVH copy cats. Didn't likely help that the groups he put together were also made up of veteran players. If he wanted to stay in the charts he needed fresh blood, like Ozzy got with Rhandy Rhodes.

• Like 1

He was a talented man.

The zeitgeist had moved on. Without the Led Zeppelin flag to fly under, he was an old timer in a world of young flashy EVH copy cats. Didn't likely help that the groups he put together were also made up of veteran players. If he wanted to stay in the charts he needed fresh blood, like Ozzy got with Rhandy Rhodes.

Ozzy was barely 30 himself when Randy Rhodes came along

• Like 1

He was a talented man.

Well he had the Firm with Paul Rodgers and he did the Coverdale/Page project. He also did soundtracks like Death Wish 2. He didn't become a big superstar after Zeppelin, like his old rival from the Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, because he's not a singer and he didn't sell out, ie no unplugged albums with soft rock nonsense. Page needed another band to take off like Zeppelin but it never happened, lightning doesn't strike twice.

Plus the fact that he never really let Zeppelin go - a driving obsession to revive the band ... which he was tantalisingly close to with the Page & Plant projects and the Ahmet Ertegun reunion show ........ until Plant pulled the carpet from under him. He should have let it go right from the start. It's all a bit too late now.

The Who's album TOMMY.

What was unique about the pressing of this double LP?

Sounds like you know the answer.

LP # 1 had sides 1 and 4.

LP # 2 had sides 2 and 3.

When you stacked the two LP's on your turntable, you only had to flip the LP's once when listening to TOMMY start to finsh.

• Like 2

He was a talented man.

Plus the fact that he never really let Zeppelin go - a driving obsession to revive the band ... which he was tantalisingly close to with the Page & Plant projects and the Ahmet Ertegun reunion show ........ until Plant pulled the carpet from under him. He should have let it go right from the start. It's all a bit too late now.

It's a shame though because he was a talented man. Back in the day, and long before Eddie came around, Jimmy was the man.

Like back in the day, before Jimi showed up, Eric Clapton was the man.

• Like 1

He was a talented man.

It's a shame though because he was a talented man. Back in the day, and long before Eddie came around, Jimmy was the man.

He had loads of charisma ... a total rock star. Although I think his battle with heroin took a big toll on him.
  • Like 1

He was a talented man.

For the same reason Waters and Gilmour haven't and even John and Paul didn't (though Paul came the closest), because the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

• Like 1

He was a talented man.

He had loads of charisma ... a total rock star. Although I think his battle with heroin took a big toll on him.

But he beat it and he's still around which is a lot more than most heroin users can say or have done. Most of them seem to think the habit is more than they are. It's not easy kicking a habit, but it can be done..

• Like 1

Which band had more:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarists (only count Frusciante once)?

Spinal Tap drummers?

RHCP guitarists

He was a talented man.

But he beat it and he's still around which is a lot more than most heroin users can say or have done. Most of them seem to think the habit is more than they are. It's not easy kicking a habit, but it can be done..

Yeah .... It took me until I was 53 to quit smoking. Been off them 9 years now and don't miss them.
  • Like 1

He was a talented man.

Yeah .... It took me until I was 53 to quit smoking. Been off them 9 years now and don't miss them.

I quit in July of 2016. There's a thread here http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/99605-former-smokers-thread/ chronicling how hard it was for me. I don't miss it now at all, and I almost don't regret stopping. I was told kicking cigarettes is harder than kicking heroin. If that is so, I can understand why so many don't kick that habit because kicking cigarettes cold turkey was no picnic, but I hate crutches

• Like 1

He was a talented man.

I quit in July of 2016. There's a thread here http://www.therushfo...smokers-thread/ chronicling how hard it was for me. I don't miss it now at all, and I almost don't regret stopping. I was told kicking cigarettes is harder than kicking heroin. If that is so, I can understand why so many don't kick that habit because kicking cigarettes cold turkey was no picnic, but I hate crutches

Congrats to both of you for quitting and staying quit. I quit at age 50, December of '06 so approaching 14 years tobacco free. Hardest thing I've ever done and without question the best thing I've ever done for myself.

• Like 2

He was a talented man.

I quit in July of 2016. There's a thread here http://www.therushfo...smokers-thread/ chronicling how hard it was for me. I don't miss it now at all, and I almost don't regret stopping. I was told kicking cigarettes is harder than kicking heroin. If that is so, I can understand why so many don't kick that habit because kicking cigarettes cold turkey was no picnic, but I hate crutches

Congrats to both of you for quitting and staying quit. I quit at age 50, December of '06 so approaching 14 years tobacco free. Hardest thing I've ever done and without question the best thing I've ever done for myself.

That seems to be the general consensus - hardest thing anyone has ever done.

We all deserve a pat on the back for doing it! :)

• Like 2

He was a talented man.

Yeah, I went cold turkey also. It coincided with me finishing work ....I finished work just before Christmas 2011 and smoked my last cig on New Years Eve. The change in routine having finished work helped immensely.

He was a talented man.

That seems to be the general consensus - hardest thing anyone has ever done.

We all deserve a pat on the back for doing it! :)

Group back-pat everybody!!! :clap: :fistbump: :ebert:

Where is the first place Crosby, Stills and Nash ever sang together? (hint, they had an audience of one)

No one? It's a great and interesting story.

Joni Mitchell's kitchen?

Correctamundo

They have said on numerous occasions within a couple of minutes they "knew" they had something special. The guys in Zeppelin have said the same about the first time they ever sat down to make music.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1