The Who or The Police  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer, the Who or the Police?

Hey Pat!

Here's a question for YOU!

Who do you like better.....

STINK or STYNX?

LOL!!!!!!!!

I can't believe you don't like early STYX yet you love KANSAS so much!!!!!

The vocalist De Young is really shrill and doesn't sound like a singer. He's sounds like an actor who can sing a bit. He's like the Danny Kaye of rock. Styx should have done an album called The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. He's got a bit of the Barry Manilow about him too. Also the instrumental part of the music doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like they're going in all the wrong directions. The songs need to be re-written and maybe then I'd like them.

Any wedding bells yet, Earl?

Hahahaha! Hi Lorraine!!!!

Lisa and I spent the weekend in Yountville. Napa wine country! The air quality was actually good this weekend.

It was one of the best weekends I have ever had.

I don't even like wine but we went to Chandon. RH VAULT. We had vodka tonics in the room which saved the day. Wine is yucky and it goes right to my Rushhead. LOL!

Lisa is the most incredible woman I have ever met in my life.

Love is in the air Lorraine.

It's mutual and yes, I hope to marry Lisa some day. On a beach.

Love you!

Don't forget to invite your Rush friends to the nuptials, Earl! :cheers:

Wow Lorraine! I have been checked out of serious relationships for many many moons! "Nuptials." There's a word you hear much about these days.

Yes!!!

There is no doubt I will hopefully be inviting many of my many Rush friends on here.

I just know it's tough. Financially. Logistically. Covid, Fires, timing.

But it's all good. This could happen a few years from now.

I am not going to "RUSH" into anything. LOL!

On a sidetone you know what drives me nuts?

Since I've been going out to dinner twice a week with Lisa. Outdoor dining of course.

The waiter or the waitress always says to us....

"Take your time there is no RUSH."

So always have to say.....

"Yeah, I know there is no RUSH, they retired in 2015!" Bums me out but it's life!! LOL!

Earl watch out for the Gold Digging Whores!

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

I think the Who have more rock artillery behind them - bombast and heft, but with the capability to demonstrate a very sensitive aspect to their songwriting.

The Police have Sting - so very refined songcraft, and extremely tight arrangements. Live they're loose and super fun. But were they ever transcendent live? I think the Who most definitely were.

And let's be honest - Townshend is just more interesting a guitar player than Andy Summers, and more interesting a lyricist. Sting is fantastic, but does he ever really reveal anything about himself in his songwriting? Does he ever show or allow vulnerability? No.

Live, Andy tries really too hard - fluidity is not his strong suit - not within the rock paradigm anyway. Townshend performance level - to lock in with his drummer and band - to vibe off the moment - is at an A+ level. Sting ranks at a solid A. When I saw him with Peter Gabriel a few years ago he was utterly fantastic.

But the Police don't have a Baba O'Reilly in their set.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour and in 2007. They were "transcendent" both times. There's a completely different vibe to the bands, so I don't think you can use the same metric for them when talking about live performances. The best live show I've ever seen was Harry Connick, Jr. in a theater in 2000. Obviously, that was different than seeing Ozzy on the Diary tour. The Who have a few albums that aren't great, and a few songs on great albums that aren't up to par. The Police don't.

The metric for comparing bands is simple: which one do you enjoy more?

I think when EP mentions "rock artillery," Summers' playing "within the rock paradigm," and being "transcendent" live, you can infer what he's getting at. Anyways, it's still the Cops for me.

I definitely don't think Townshend is a more interesting guitarist than Summers. Not by a long shot.

Within rock and blues Townshend is masterful.

Summers is a brilliant musician - but he’s more of a jazz guy and an innovator. But he’s not an electrifying performer. Just isn’t.

We can agree to disagree.

I thought you two were the two metalheads on the forum, I'm shocked to see you discussing the skills of Mrs Summers little boy Andrew.

I’m a massive Police fan - and I love Andy’s solo work.

I hear you.....

I love KLERK KANT! Stewie's solo record. I have the Japan CD pressing. Very rare. I listen to it a lot.

The Summers solo stuff is solid. I have it all.

I only love the first two STING solo albums.

STING is overrated. He's really good but he's just a fuckking big hot air balloon that needs to be popped!!!

I don't like Sting as a person either Earl. He's one of the earliest examples of a mega-rich woke celebrity, who thinks it's his job to tell everyone else what to do, how to vote and how much money you should be allowed to have.

Lisa and I spent the weekend in Yountville. Napa wine country! The air quality was actually good this weekend.

I don't even like wine but we went to Chandon. RH VAULT. We had vodka tonics in the room which saved the day. Wine is yucky and it goes right to my Rushhead. LOL!

Love you!

What's the most drunk you've ever been? Have you ever had a BLACKOUT?

Who are you to make this poll? :LOL:

I was making polls when you were swimming around in your dad's balls.

That's fuckking funny Duck. I just went through a Who and Police phase. You must have a camera in my house! Lol!!!

I love both bands!!!

I have to go with THE WHO!

Next to Neil Peart it's Pete Townshend for me. Wish I could meet Pete one day.

If anything can break through Pete’s unfortunate hearing impairment, it’s your screaming, Earl.

Pete: Who are you?

Earl: I’M EARL!

Pete: Who? Who?

Earl: EARL!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Love you!

Don't forget to invite your Rush friends to the nuptials, Earl! :cheers:

Wow Lorraine! I have been checked out of serious relationships for many many moons! "Nuptials." There's a word you hear much about these days.

Yes!!!

There is no doubt I will hopefully be inviting many of my many Rush friends on here.

I just know it's tough. Financially. Logistically. Covid, Fires, timing.

But it's all good. This could happen a few years from now.

I am not going to "RUSH" into anything. LOL!

On a sidetone you know what drives me nuts?

Since I've been going out to dinner twice a week with Lisa. Outdoor dining of course.

The waiter or the waitress always says to us....

"Take your time there is no RUSH."

So always have to say.....

"Yeah, I know there is no RUSH, they retired in 2015!" Bums me out but it's life!! LOL!

Earl, thanks for the early morning laugh. :LOL:

Maybe the day will be a good one. :)

For a change. :eh:

Love you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYWtmblvYI

Imagine Earl drunk. :unsure:

• Like 1

Oh easy

The Who

Both bands are not my favourite, but the albums I enjoy by The Who trump most bands.

• Like 1

Love you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYWtmblvYI

Imagine Earl drunk. :unsure:

One problem: How would you know he was drunk?

Stewart Copeland is the strong point of The Police. My top three drummer of all time.

I do love him too, and I think he's a better drummer than Neil.

Nope. Copeland just can't be a better drummer than Peart. No way.

Nothing Copeland has done with his drums can touch Peart's drumming in "By-Tor".

Comparing The Who to The Police is like choosing whether Xanadu or BU2B2 is better.

Which one is it you think are no better than an interlude?