The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

https://soccer.nbcsp...them-v-denmark/

:facepalm:

Nice fans you got there, England.

I don`t know who you are addressing... I think Malignant Narcissism will have to field this one as he`s in England. I refer you to the above post for my feelings on the matter :tsk:

Besides that, come back to me when the Houses of Parliament have been stormed :P

LABT's post reminds me of a site I visit where the only hockey stories are about scandals involving the sport.
  • Like 2

I have just read the sad news that former Ipswich & England footballer Paul Mariner has passed away at 68.

I am of an age where I can remember his career clearly - He was a fine player.

RIP Paul.

Agree totally about the coverage. I moved out of England because it had changed for the worst over the last 10 years or so. Longer, really. There's patriotism and then there is the extreme ugly version that all this coverage propagates unconsciously.

I remember Paul Mariner from my first years watching football, when he was at Ispwich. I didn`t know that he`d managed Toronto FC.

He had the same cancer as Mr Neil Peart.

RIP Paul

He was a fine player ... and ... for a striker, not a prima donna!!
  • Like 1

I have just read the sad news that former Ipswich & England footballer Paul Mariner has passed away at 68.

I am of an age where I can remember his career clearly - He was a fine player.

RIP Paul.

Agree totally about the coverage. I moved out of England because it had changed for the worst over the last 10 years or so. Longer, really. There's patriotism and then there is the extreme ugly version that all this coverage propagates unconsciously.

I remember Paul Mariner from my first years watching football, when he was at Ispwich. I didn`t know that he`d managed Toronto FC.

He had the same cancer as Mr Neil Peart.

RIP Paul

He was a fine player ... and ... for a striker, not a prima donna!!

I remember him from the '82 World Cup. R.I.P.
  • Like 2

My prediction for tomorrow is 2-1 to Italy

I read somewhere that England didn`t really want Brexit at all, it just wanted a tournament win. Of course, the fear is that it gets even more bloated with its own self regard. I do like Italy... it`s a tricky one for me. I don`t really feel anything for England but then I never have, the IRA songs and the booing of anthems and hooliganism... but this group of players and Southgate are different. If it changes things for the better, then 2-1 England :cool:
  • Like 1

Argentina 1 Brazil 0 The beautiful game...sometimes I wonder. Argentina outdid Italy here. The ref should've added an hour to the second 45 from all the time wasting done by the men in stripes. Messi doesn't even gets touched and falls over himself grabbing both knees for good measure. Nice goal by Di Maria though.
  • Like 3

I read somewhere that England didn`t really want Brexit at all, it just wanted a tournament win. Of course, the fear is that it gets even more bloated with its own self regard. I do like Italy... it`s a tricky one for me. I don`t really feel anything for England but then I never have, the IRA songs and the booing of anthems and hooliganism... but this group of players and Southgate are different. If it changes things for the better, then 2-1 England :cool:

Yeah but is that result what you want or what you think will happen??
  • Like 1

I got a video call today from my daughter and grandkids who live in Malvern.

They were singing :musicnote: It's Coming Home ..... :musicnote:

I was not impressed!!

• Like 3

I think that Rice and Phillips could be too quick/snappy in the middle and snuff out Jorginho, then it`s down to Sterling and Kane... so yeah, I do think England will win.
  • Like 2

Argentina 1 Brazil 0 The beautiful game...sometimes I wonder. Argentina outdid Italy here. The ref should've added an hour to the second 45 from all the time wasting done by the men in stripes. Messi doesn't even gets touched and falls over himself grabbing both knees for good measure. Nice goal by Di Maria though.

I saw the goal, and then watched something else as it wasn`t great watching was it? I missed some classic Argentinian shithousery by the sounds of it, which is a shame. They always were pretty superb at that. Glad they beat Brazil though.
  • Like 2

I think that Rice and Phillips could be too quick/snappy in the middle and snuff out Jorginho, then it`s down to Sterling and Kane... so yeah, I do think England will win.

The more I have seen of England's speed, I agree with you, they could do it.
  • Like 2

ENGLAND SCORES 2 MINUTES IN!!!!

I left north central Washington at 8:30 last night to get home in time to watch. 15 hours straight driving got me home in time to see the first goal!

• Like 3

England won't start playing football again until Italy equalizes. :eyeroll:

Italy will assuredly have some moments. Get to 65 minutes. bring a little pace and width on to stretch the game has to be the England plan, but if we could create some chances of our own and grab a second goal, that`d work too :ebert:
  • Like 1

I am starting to get fed up with the OTT saturation media coverage now.

Frankly some of it is just jingoistic chest beating.

What the BBC/ITV seem to forget is that we are a nation of 4 countries.... not all English.

When a team in any sport from Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland reach a similar sporting height, it's a case of ... oh, good luck ...... next story please.

Lets get this match over and done with ... quickly please.

(Started writing this earlier mid-afternoon...)

I think the media goes overboard as well. Bit like the tennis. The young girl, Raducanu, had a few good wins at Wimbledon and everyone (i.e. all the English presenters rather than 'British') couldn't contain themselves thinking '...can she go all the way..' etc.

Personally, I love it when, as an Englishman, Wales, Northern or Rep of Ireland or Scotland are doing well too but I imagine the media, especially if it's England-based, focuses mainly on England.

I remember enjoying Wales do well with Bale, Ramsey and co. I enjoyed Rep of Ireland beat Italy in 94 with Ray Houghton, Roy Keane and co and then it was good to cheer on Scotland when we thought Archie Gemmell and co were going to do well.

(Well being a Forest fan from the 70s, I was always going to cheer on Archie G and Roy Keane).

But as to those fans who boo other other teams' national anthems, personally I find it embarrassing and I think it's probably because football, in England, attracts the groups of fans and when they go as a group, the group mentality takes over, especially if the alcohol is flowing.

Or it's the fact that football appeals to the less sophisticated clientele, as per the stereotype - sports like rugby appeal to the middle classes and football appeals to the lower.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 1

All is well, now that Saka is with us. :sarcastic:

There have been many worse twenty minutes spells in a major final, much worse than England between 60-80 minutes. That I cannot think of any in the history of the game doesn`t mean anything :facepalm:
  • Like 1

I was joking about playing everyone behind the ball and relying on rebounds. It`s very hard to stop playing from quarter of an hour in. England did that against Croatia at the WC and it`s a very silly plan.
  • Like 2

Chiellini defends just like I used to :cheers:

Typically Italian defending i.e. they know what they're doing. And I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion as such - I mean they're one of the best countries, if not the best, at defending.

• Like 1