How Would You Have a Rush Newbie Get Into Rush' Discography?

_hi_water._

Depends on the newb.

If delicate constitution, simple pop listener, or female: Hold Your Fire

If basic young male who kinda likes rock: Moving Pictures

If totally obsessive political hyperopinionated type: 2112

If metalhead and/or deaf: Vapor Trails

If 70 years old: Rush

I don't see what gender has to do with anything. My best friend in high school was a girl and I got her hooked with 2112.

Exactly. Gender doesn't matter in this case :hail:
  • Like 1

Depends on the newb.

I don't see what gender has to do with anything. My best friend in high school was a girl and I got her hooked with 2112.

I hate to break the news, but as a general rule, boys like Rush, and girls don't.

Gender differences are real.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

What if these 2 albums were one album?

It would be easily the greatest double album of all time. Ever heard of Chicago II? Physical Graffiti? Tommy?? Child's play.

Truthfully, I don't rank Physical Graffiti as a great double album. Chicago II is great (as is III) and so is Tommy (but Quadrophenia is even better).

Take out The Camera Eye and PeW + MP as one double album IS a great double.

Depends on the newb.

I hate to break the news, but as a general rule, boys like Rush, and girls don't.

Well that's very reductive of you. I suppose girls also don't play Dungeons And Dragons and boys don't listen to Cyndi Lauper. Newsflash, people will like whatever they please regardless of stereotypes.

I think a compilation album would be the way to go(I would recommend this for pretty much any band though).Rush has several but I won't list them all. After that I would say Moving Pictures then counterparts(in case they are fans of more modern hard rock)then after that Power Windows. After that 2112. This gives them a good cross section of their career.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

What if these 2 albums were one album?

It would be easily the greatest double album of all time. Ever heard of Chicago II? Physical Graffiti? Tommy?? Child's play.

Truthfully, I don't rank Physical Graffiti as a great double album. Chicago II is great (as is III) and so is Tommy (but Quadrophenia is even better).

Take out The Camera Eye and PeW + MP as one double album IS a great double.

I think PG has scattered filler that's hard to detect amongst many career highs, plus some of their strongest production. Chicago I, II, and III are all excellent doubles. And totally agree about Tommy and Quadrophenia.

Depends on the newb.

Well that's very reductive of you. I suppose girls also don't play Dungeons And Dragons and boys don't listen to Cyndi Lauper. Newsflash, people will like whatever they please regardless of stereotypes.

PLEASE don't play that equivalence game.

Even the band acknowledged their fanbase is mostly men.

It's okay to generalize, generally speaking lol.

I've always heard that Caress Of Steel was a bad album according to the record company...

and after I heard the album...

I loved it

Depends on the newb.

Whether or not the fanbase is more male than female, your generalization is still off base. Statistically, more men are Rush fans than women, sure. Generally, you cannot possibly predict whether any individual is going to like Rush based solely off of their gender, and I disagree that the only good album to introduce a girl to Rush is HYF. It's also not fair to lump all girls in with "delicate constitution" or "simple pop listener."

Rush has never made music for boys or girls, just music that they liked and they hoped others would like.

• Like 1

This is probably better handled with a compilation of songs rather than albums. My friend gave me his on tape in 1993 and I haven't stopped listening to Rush to this day:

Anthem

La Villa Strangiato

Tom Sawyer

Overture/Temples of Syrinx

Jacob's Ladder

Freewill

Xanadu

YYZ

Natural Science

This still stands up as a pretty cool compilation to introduce to newbies the 'best most accessible" songs of Rush.

Depends on the newb.

Whether or not the fanbase is more male than female, your generalization is still off base. Statistically, more men are Rush fans than women, sure. Generally, you cannot possibly predict whether any individual is going to like Rush based solely off of their gender, and I disagree that the only good album to introduce a girl to Rush is HYF. It's also not fair to lump all girls in with "delicate constitution" or "simple pop listener."

Rush has never made music for boys or girls, just music that they liked and they hoped others would like.

No, my generalization is on target.

It seems to irk you, so I'll type it again: Men are more likely than women to become Rush fans.

No amount of parsing, cherrypicking, or mental contortions is going to change this simple fact that the band itself has acknowledged.

And the reason HYT is a good gateway drug for any potential female fans is Aimee Mann's vocals on TSS. Ged even admitted this in the 90s.

• Like 1

I would put the Rush fan ratio men to women as about 500:1.

We could argue as to why, but it is indeed true and always has been.

“Really, they’re quite fearful, that’s my theory. They see us on stage with tight trousers. We’ve got, you know, armadillos in our trousers.”
  • Like 3

To reel in a female fan, start with Panacea, followed by Tears. Close the deal with Speed of Love.

That's how I hooked Lorraine.

I think most women would prefer Axl Rose :LMAO:

To reel in a female fan, start with Panacea, followed by Tears. Close the deal with Speed of Love.

The one that my wife always liked (still not what I would call a Rush "fan", though) was Cold Fire.

The one that my wife always liked (still not what I would call a Rush "fan", though) was Cold Fire.

If your wife, gf whatever is an 80's synth nerd, make 'em listen to Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

HIM: "Honey, what do you think of RUSH?"

HER: "Well, I really like that divorce song..."

• Like 2

HIM: "Honey, what do you think of RUSH?"

HER: "Well, I really like that divorce song..."

:rfl:

Depends on the newb.

No, my generalization is on target.

It seems to irk you, so I'll type it again: Men are more likely than women to become Rush fans.

No amount of parsing, cherrypicking, or mental contortions is going to change this simple fact that the band itself has acknowledged.

And the reason HYT is a good gateway drug for any potential female fans is Aimee Mann's vocals on TSS. Ged even admitted this in the 90s.

No, it's not. But seeing as I'm outnumbered here I'll leave you to your own devices.