The Self Titled "ASIA" Album Is One Of The Greatest Albums On The Earth! Why Do You Prog Snobs Hate It? "HERE COMES THE FEELING!"

The ASIA Debut LP Is an Astronomical Apex Of An Amazing Album! I'm "Cutting It Fine" Baby!   

20 members have voted

1. 1. ASIA Debut 1982 Album Is Truly A Tremendous Prog Pop Masterpiece! Perfection!

• HELL YES! MASTERPIECE! "Wildest Dreams" Do Come True! I LOVE YOU!
    • HEAVENS NO!!! PURE POP MTV POOP!!!!! A "Sole Survivor" Of Nothingness!

I love eighties AOR, pomp rock and all the other silly tags.

This album is super average to me.

It’s got a very different tone from other AOR stuff. It’s not really as fun or concise, but it can’t stick to being drawn out or proggy either. It’s a real mood album, sitting at a crossroads between what it wants to be and what comes to it naturally.

• Like 1

It’s got a very different tone from other AOR stuff. It’s not really as fun or concise, but it can’t stick to being drawn out or proggy either. It’s a real mood album, sitting at a crossroads between what it wants to be and what comes to it naturally.

To me, it's got nothing going for it that doesn't immediately remind me of better alternatives.

• Like 2

To me, it's got nothing going for it that doesn't immediately remind me of better alternatives.

i have to Agree. in a genre of gem after gem this just get's buried IMO.

Mick

• Like 2

I even really enjoy it and I almost never think about spinning it. It’s just if I want to hear prog, I listen to prog. If I want to hear peak radio ready AOR, I listen to half a dozen other bands. Heck, if I want progressive pop I go to the 80s output of the big 70s prog bands that got poppier. Asia just always slips though the cracks. I think it’s Heat Of The Moment being track 1 that steers me away sometimes.

• Like 1

Lol!! Hemi voted no. He's the sole veto-er. :laughing guy:

I'm waiting for earl's response.

bob-barker-punch-happy-gilmore.gif

He must've missed your vote.

I will alert him to it.

Hey Earl!!! Didn't you notice Hemi voted Asia as pop poop?

:popcorn:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

NOW it feels super average to me...although it gets a lot of nostalgia points. But back then I thought it was awesome.

Yes!! This!!! I get it!

I think it's all about when you were alive and born.

Again, I was a freshman in high school when this album came out. I fell in love with it.

I get it. It's very commercial, but yes, nostalgia points. It brings me back to that time when I was a nerd boy. Wait I still am! No wonder I love it still.

That's fine Michael. I get it. Do you like "Alpha" or "Astra" or is it all weak AOR pop?

Do you like The Outfield? I love them. 80's clean melodic pop! "Play Deep" and "Bangin'" are epic records.

I DO NOT like the production of the debut.

Word. I love the songs, though.

I must be tone deaf. I listened to the ASIA debut Japanese SHM cd pressing last night on my hi-fidelity stereo in surround. I thought the production was beautiful.

Incredible audio.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!! Hemi! I can't respond in a rude or crazy banter. To each their own!!! LOL!

I love the record. I love Bob Barker. Great stuff.

Come on man!!!!

Every song is melodic and wonderful. Carl Palmer kills it. The drumming on "Wildest Dreams" is amazing!!!! The first ASIA album is so fun to play on the drums.

I just must be a foolish old fella in love with the past.

I still wish I was with my wife.

I've dated so many women in the last five years I just want to SCREAM!!!!!!!

It's so hard to find real love. If you have it. Hold it Forever and embrace it!!!!

RUSH THE FUKK ON!

• Like 1

He must've missed your vote.

I will alert him to it.

Hey Earl!!! Didn't you notice Hemi voted Asia as pop poop?

:popcorn:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Lorraine!! You are my big sister for life!!!!

I just laugh now.

I'm not getting older and wiser. I'm just trying to be low key on here now.

I will pick my battles.

This is a fun one.

But yes.

I will always be a naughty boy.

ASIA!!!!!

I think "Astra" blows "Alpha" away.

NOW it feels super average to me...although it gets a lot of nostalgia points. But back then I thought it was awesome.

Yes!! This!!! I get it!

Again, I was a freshman in high school when this album came out. I fell in love with it.

I get it. It's very commercial, but yes, nostalgia points. It brings me back to that time when I was a nerd boy. Wait I still am! No wonder I love it still.

Definitely glad you love it! I may have to revisit it due to this thread.

• Like 1

That's fine Michael. I get it. Do you like "Alpha" or "Astra" or is it all weak AOR pop?

Do you like The Outfield? I love them. 80's clean melodic pop! "Play Deep" and "Bangin'" are epic records.

What a coincidence - i just finished listening to Play Deep about half an hour ago. Every song on it is catchy and could belong in any number of 80s teen flicks with the average dude or geek trying to get the babe prize.

• Like 2

Yes!! This!!! I get it!

Definitely glad you love it! I may have to revisit it due to this thread.

Yes!!!! Put it on your stereo and crank it!!!!

What a coincidence - i just finished listening to Play Deep about half an hour ago. Every song on it is catchy and could belong in any number of 80s teen flicks with the average dude or geek trying to get the babe prize.

Hahaha! OMG JB!!!! Amazing coincidence. We are connected!!!!!! It's a masterpiece. Always wondered why CBS didn't do a remastered version with bonus tracks and live stuff.

You have to admit gang the personnel does look good on paper......

These geniuses probably just wanted to get together in the MTV Era and make a pop prog record.

John Wetton Crimson

Steve Howe Yes

Carl Palmer ELP

Geoffrey Downes The Buggles

Hahaha! OMG JB!!!! Amazing coincidence. We are connected!!!!!! It's a masterpiece. Always wondered why CBS didn't do a remastered version with bonus tracks and live stuff.

Play Deep is so f***ing awesome. Every. Song.

• Like 1

Play Deep is so f***ing awesome. Every. Song.

I've listened to it three times in the last 24 hours

• Like 1