Favorite Coen Brothers film.

Pratt Boy

What is your favorite Coen Brothers film?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Coen Brothers film?

• Blood Simple
    • Raising Arizona
    • Miller's Crossing
    • Barton Fink
    • The Hudsucker Proxy
    • Fargo
    • The Big Lebowski
    • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    • The Man who wasn't there
    • Intolerable Cruelty
    • The Ladykillers

I've seen five of their movies:

Miller's Crossing - just so-so

The Big Lebowski - great movie and my favorite of theirs

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - I thought this was boring, albeit some funny moments

The Man Who Wasn't There - excellent movie, a work of art

Inteolerable Cruelty - just so-so, but entertaining overall

I loved the ones I've seen: Arizona, Fargo, Lebowski, O Brother, Ladykillers. Hard to say which one is the best but I probably quote Lebowski the most. When I watched Ladykillers in the theater, my girlfriend and I were the only ones laughing. But, then again, that kind of humor just doesn't translate well out here.

The only ones I've seen are Fargo and Raising Arizona. I picked Fargo. You betcha. I certainly enjoyed Raising Arizona, and identifying all the places they show in the movie, since I grew up there.

Fargo, without a doubt.

I did enjoy Blood Simple and Raising Arizona.

The Big Lebowski was The Big Loaf of Shit IMO.

QUOTE (BSG @ Oct 25 2005, 09:40 PM)
Fargo is pure genius. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

I remember after a few friends and myself saw this movie we were walking around for days immitating the accents from this movie. laugh.gif

This is wild reading all the different opinions! I absolutely love Raising Arizona, with Big Lebowski coming in second. I thought O Brother was pretty good -- it had some hilarious moments. But I'm not a fan of Fargo. And I need to see the others...

"One mans trash is another mans treasure."

I love the Coens, and I especially love Barton Fink. Totally underappreciated masterpiece - the deepest movie they ever made. It is their most Lynchian film (In fact it pays homage to Eraserhead).

Fargo and Lebowski follow right behind for me. And Intolerable Cruelty because Cathy is so SMOKING hot.

I never understood why they call Fargo "Fargo". I mean, 99% of the movie takes place between Minneapolis, MN and Brainerd, MN...

I always kinda resented Fargo's representation of Minnesota; it's pretty damned far off... but hey, my little home town of White Bear Lake, MN is mentioned in the film... though is was mentionioned as the hometown of a whore; when in reality, my quaint little town has probably never even had a whore pass through it.

[/rant] tongue.gif

I voted Fargo anyways, mostly because William H Macy was in it.

I went with Raising Arizona but it was a close call between Blood Simple and Millers Crossing. Fargo is right up there too. Farton Bink is just god awful and Big Lebowski is hugely overrated, imo.

QUOTE (TheTrinity @ May 24 2006, 03:12 AM)
I went with Raising Arizona but it was a close call between Blood Simple and Millers Crossing. Fargo is right up there too. Farton Bink is just god awful and Big Lebowski is hugely overrated, imo.

I guess that is the wonderful thing about the Coens - they have a certain inimitable style, yet their films are so diverse, that two fans can totally disagree over Miller's Crossing versus Barton Fink - in my case, I don't like Crossing at all, but I think Fink is an absolute masterpiece.

I didn't care for Barton Fink much, either. Also, I haven't seen their past four films.

But I'm a big fan of most their work. I went with their popular masterpiece, Fargo.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 17 2005, 05:49 PM)
I vascillated between Fargo and Oh Brother Where Art Thou

I'm right with you there, with Barton Fink a close third (John Goodman was amazing in it, also in O Brother)

Then I went with Fargo.