YYNOT - Resonance (new album)

KenJennings

But in your mind, only active members can present their creative projects no matter how related to the board's interests an outsider's project might be? Well hell, no one would ever find out about anything with a rule like that.

Eventually you'll get to my third post in this thread where I address *this* criticism. Does you computer load all the posts for you or are they being delayed somehow?

There's clearly a distinction between a long time member posting a work of original art and someone who joins only to post ads for their creations. But you failing to see this difference isn't my problem.

I was going to welcome you 'back', as I haven't exchanged posts with you in a while, but I suspect the feeling of brotherhood isn't mutual.

They shared something that they thought this community would like. I don't care if that is akin to advertising, they were right.

Read my third reply. And really, my second reply. Or beat the dead horse. ;)

But in your mind, only active members can present their creative projects no matter how related to the board's interests an outsider's project might be? Well hell, no one would ever find out about anything with a rule like that.

Eventually you'll get to my third post in this thread where I address *this* criticism. Does you computer load all the posts for you or are they being delayed somehow?

There's clearly a distinction between a long time member posting a work of original art and someone who joins only to post ads for their creations. But you failing to see this difference isn't my problem.

I was going to welcome you 'back', as I haven't exchanged posts with you in a while, but I suspect the feeling of brotherhood isn't mutual.

They shared something that they thought this community would like. I don't care if that is akin to advertising, they were right.

Read my third reply. And really, my second reply. Or beat the dead horse. ;)

You keep referring people back to your earlier posts, which don't do anything to dismiss what's being stated. So if you're not willing to continue the conversation, you can just bow out- what you've stated has been read and hasn't satisfied the argument.

• Like 1

I'll admit that it might not be a good look on someone to join a forum and start promoting their band right away. But what else should they have done? This is one of the best places for them to promote what they were doing. It's the exact crowd they're aiming for. This site was around for about six years before I found out about it and Rush had been my favorite band for many years before that. So it's possible that YYNOT didn't even know about this forum until after the band was formed. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

I'm just pointing out your criticism of YYNOT was misplaced, IMO. My take on it is that they were more or less invited into CP's community because peeps started posting their stuff to the board before they did. I don't know if that happened here but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

We're having a disagreement on a message board. Don't read so much into it.

• Like 1

So the band came on here and promoted themselves. So fracking what?

We're the audience they want to be heard by. Makes sense to me. In their place, I'd probably do the same thing.

If someone wants to think of it as spamming, then fine. I know this post isn't going to change anyone's mind. I'm simply saying that if another band were to come along, with a good sound, this board is exactly the kind of forum where I'd expect to find out about them.

Not Facebook. Expecting to hear about new music on FB instead of this place, is like expecting to read Technology news on FB, instead of Slashdot.

Yeah, I still have a /. account . ;)

Edit: To be fair, the band do advertise themselves on the Rush forums on FB. Tim is also pretty active on the Bass Guitar and Rickenbacker forums over there. They certainly don't overdo it. They announce their shows, post videos after their shows. The fans do the same. So it's working.... they are collectively creating a buzz. (One which I hope goes to 11).

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

I enjoyed my chats with the band members here, and they have been nothing but gracious on Facebook.
  • Like 3

My take on it is that they were more or less invited into CP's community because peeps started posting their stuff to the board before they did. I don't know if that happened here but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

As I recall the band leader (Billy?) or whoever stroolglotz (sp?) is, were the first posts, they're a member/somehow directly involved.

As you just inferred, 'organic' interest is much different from marketing. You just basically agreed with my stance on the matter without realizing it.

No one is saying they shouldn't have done it (it's within the forum rules and guidelines), my first post (here we go again) was pointing out *why* I avoided them initially. Really, until a handful of months ago I hadn't even listened to a single thing they produced. The way their music was presented to me was entirely to blame. If Grep had posted a link randomly, I'd have clicked on it. It matters, to me, who posts suggestions. Members I trust, band managers and marketing departments can wait their turn. Active members I support when they post their original music. We all have our standards for community forum conduct.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

My take on it is that they were more or less invited into CP's community because peeps started posting their stuff to the board before they did. I don't know if that happened here but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

As I recall the band leader (Billy?) or whoever stroolglotz (sp?) is, were the first posts, they're a member/somehow directly involved.

As you just inferred, 'organic' interest is much different from marketing. You just basically agreed with my stance on the matter without realizing it.

No one is saying they shouldn't have done it (it's within the forum rules and guidelines), my first post (here we go again) was pointing out *why* I avoided them initially. Really, until a handful of months ago I hadn't even listened to a single thing they produced. The way their music was presented to me was entirely to blame. If Grep had posted a link randomly, I'd have clicked on it. It matters, to me, who posts suggestions. Members I trust, band managers and marketing departments can wait their turn. Active members I support when they post their original music. We all have our standards for community forum conduct.

No, I'm not agreeing with your stance without realizing it. :rolleyes:

You're welcome to have any stance you want. I'm just glad you're not running the board. I'm thankful other members here were more welcoming than you were and intuitively understood a good faith posting when they saw one.

You keep referring to your prior posts but what I'm mainly reacting to is the post where you called them trolls and spammers which is language WAY too harsh for the situation at hand and I think you know that it is.

So let's talk about the music.

Great musicians, cool people. No debate with that.

Breaking zero new ground.

While I can appreciate how well they play, they are directly taking Rush's sound.

It is a turnoff for me. It's blatant and I rather just listen to the real thing.

I guess you can compare this to how Rush sounded like Led Zeppelin on their debut and then evolved into Rush (FBN, COS and then 2112 breaking them on their own way). But I don't see that happening here. They are a Rush tribute band writing songs that blatantly sound like Rush. If you like it....that's great.

Rather listen to bands taking chances and trying to create their own sound. I see nothing wrong with having great influences. But to carbon copy the sonic sound of them and call it your own?

Meh.

Does Dream Theater walk that line? Kinda but they truly have their own style and sound. They really do.

This band does not.

To each their own.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

You keep referring to your prior posts but what I'm mainly reacting to is the post where you called them trolls and spammers which is language WAY too harsh for the situation at hand and I think you know that it is.

Potato, potatoe. Self promotion is most certainly (and always involves a degree of) spamming. I agree, trolling was not the right term.

I'm glad they have so many heroes to defend their good name.

It is a turnoff for me. It's blatant and I rather just listen to the real thing.

I guess you can compare this to how Rush sounded like Led Zeppelin on their debut and then evolved into Rush (FBN, COS and then 2112 breaking them on their own way). But I don't see that happening here. They are a Rush tribute band writing songs that blatantly sound like Rush. If you like it....that's great.

While I generally agree, and won't be pursuing them in their current state/releases, I can understand the draw. Rush is gone, so a band that fills the void/niche is certainly warranted and is obviously being (vehemently) welcomed.

Rather listen to bands taking chances and trying to create their own sound. I see nothing wrong with having great influences. But to carbon copy the sonic sound of them and call it your own?

It's not a carbon copy. Greta Van Fleet is carbon copy. And YYNOT doesn't call what they do entirely their own. They are on record saying their sound is a homage to Rush. They've been honest from the start. I'm interested to know why Rush's debut gets a pass though?

i've yet to hear the new record as it's not as spotify and i won't buy without a preview as far as this band goes (god i sound cheap lol)

but i liked the first. they didn't piss me off as much as Greta Van Fleet does.

Take that as you will, lol

Mick

It's not a carbon copy. Greta Van Fleet is carbon copy. And YYNOT doesn't call what they do entirely their own. They are on record saying their sound is a homage to Rush. They've been honest from the start. I'm interested to know why Rush's debut gets a pass though?

it's TRF, lol.

we tend not to hide our bias well, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

They were passed off as a Led Zep rip off. It did not get much of a pass. They did not hit it big till they took a real chance and 2112 came to be. That was their big FU to the record industry after they left the Led Zep sound and song writing style in the rear view mirror starting with FBN. The record company were losing patience.....oh we all the know the story. We don't need to rehash.

Ok so it is a homage to Rush. Wonderful. Like I said they are a really good band.

I don't care though for music that is a blatant sonic copy of Rush. Discover or pursuing your own sound was the essence of why I became a musician myself. I was heavily influenced by many but always pursued my own sound.

If you like them....great. This is all subjective. That's all art is. Purely subjective.

And I think Greta is a total rip off job....agree.

Rival Sons is a perfect example of having great influences but their very own genuine sound and style.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I'm interested to know why Rush's debut gets a pass though?

I'm assuming Totem was operating on the same line of thought I do regarding Rush. The answer is the remainder of their catalog. I don't even have a download copy of their first album. Owned it on CD a long time ago. Working Man is the only track worth listening to, and really only because of Alex's solo.

Rush became Rush for me on Fly By Night, which really isn't a favorite of mine either, but had glimpses of what was to come.

Until YYNOT establish themselves and actually chart their own trajectory, expect the 'copy cat' moniker to stick (and stand).

• Like 1

i'd say i'd dislike Rush A LOT more if they'd kept pumping out Zep records.

and i agree i've heard songs off Resonance. it does bore me already. and i did enjoy the first record but......meh. they need an identity. and sooner than later.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I'm assuming Totem was operating on the same line of thought I do regarding Rush. The answer is the remainder of their catalog. I don't even have a download copy of their first album. Owned it on CD a long time ago. Working Man is the only track worth listening to, and really only because of Alex's solo.

Rush became Rush for me on Fly By Night, which really isn't a favorite of mine either, but had glimpses of what was to come.

Until YYNOT establish themselves and actually chart their own trajectory, expect the 'copy cat' moniker to stick (and stand).

The answer is not the remainder of Rush's catalog because that doesn't answer the question I asked. Todem made a direct comparison between YYNOT's debut and Rush's debut and criticized the former while giving the latter a pass. So my question is why give Rush's debut a pass? I have my own take on the distinction between the two of them, and there definitely is one, but I wanted his take.

Copy-cat doesn't even stick (or stand) right now. Copy-cat is Greta Van Fleet. YYNOT is homage. IMO, homage is legit because it leaves plenty of room for transformation. And YYNOT actually has transformed Rush's style by seamlessly combining it with more traditional rock and pop forms. In other words, Billy writes Rush styled hits. You don't have to like them but they're definitely not copy jobs.

Edited by Three Eyes

Yeah but kind of let it stand - they've carved a niche as an original band that does great Rush covers. They're a glorified tribute band - emphasis on glorified.

They're fun to get drunk and watch play live - which is good considering I'd have to snort heroin to get through any other Rush tribute band's set - especially when the dude has a ponytail and Geddy glasses.

I'll take the badass chick ANY DAY.

• Like 2

The answer is not the remainder of Rush's catalog because that doesn't answer the question I asked. Todem made a direct comparison between YYNOT's debut and Rush's debut and criticized the former while giving the latter a pass. So my question is why give Rush's debut a pass? I have my own take on the distinction between the two of them, and there definitely is one, but I wanted his take.

Copy-cat doesn't even stick (or stand) right now. Copy-cat is Greta Van Fleet. YYNOT is homage. IMO, homage is legit because it leaves plenty of room for transformation. And YYNOT actually has transformed Rush's style by seamlessly combining it with more traditional rock and pop forms. In other words, Billy writes Rush styled hits. You don't have to like them but they're definitely not copy jobs.

You seem to be completely onboard with this band.

No one lets Rush's debut pass. They changed on the next album. Everyone agrees (for the most part) that if they continued on the same course from album one, they'd likely be nothing special (or lasted past their 4th record deal). That's the point, YYNOT is on their second full album and some aren't seeing the evolution [i have no opinion on this, haven't been paying enough attention].

I'd also say they're not entirely copy cats, but the comparisons are going to be made and for most casual Rush fans it will apply (they'll inevitably draw the comparisons, as opposed to searching for the distinctions). For YYNOT it's probably more important for those comparisons to be made than to chart their own course and end up in the land of 2019 internet obscurity like 99% of the bands out there. I'm not personally knocking their strategy, but I definitely hear the similarities and understand the easily made comparison.

Edited by stoopid

Potato, potatoe. Self promotion is most certainly (and always involves a degree of) spamming. I agree, trolling was not the right term.

I investigated your spamming accusation. Billy started posting here back in 2015 and all he did back then was post Rush covers from his online collaboration project and that first Rush inspired instrumental he did. Later, he posted the band's song Kingdom Come but even that post was two full years before their first album came out. None of his posts ever lead to a link to purchase an album. But so what if they had?

Tim, who has participated in numerous threads not related to YYNOT, joined in 2016 and has posted five or six YYNOT originals since that time with two of them leading to links to buy their debut album. The latter were posted right around the time the album dropped mid 2018. Again, so what? There was enough interest in them by that time to warrant a little advertising. Also, all their Rush covers and YYNOT originals were posted to the correct forums. How can you justify any of this as spamming?

I'm glad they have so many heroes to defend their good name.

Just trying to fight the fake news, dude.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 1

I haven't heard the new album yet but I really liked the first one and saw it musically as an homage to Rush more than a complete copycat. They have enough of their own flavor in their songs to make them their own. I also feel the female vocals help to differentiate them from Rush. Even though some will say there were times back in the day Geddy sounded like a girl, I still think having a female vocalist helps YYNot out a lot with their sound.
  • Like 2

You seem to be completely onboard with this band.

No one lets Rush's debut pass. They changed on the next album. Everyone agrees (for the most part) that if they continued on the same course from album one, they'd likely be nothing special (or lasted past their 4th record deal). That's the point, YYNOT is on their second full album and some aren't seeing the evolution [i have no opinion on this, haven't been paying enough attention].

I'd also say they're not entirely copy cats, but the comparisons are going to be made and for most casual Rush fans it will apply (they'll inevitably draw the comparisons, as opposed to searching for the distinctions). For YYNOT it's probably more important for those comparisons to be made than to chart their own course and end up in the land of 2019 internet obscurity like 99% of the bands out there. I'm not personally knocking their strategy, but I definitely hear the similarities and understand the easily made comparison.

How much I'm into or not into them has nothing to do with anything. I like them, sure, but so what? You unfairly called them spammers and trolls and everyone else here seemed fine with that. It's such an obvious, and possibly malicious, mischaracterization of them that I felt somebody needed to challenge you on it.

Semantics sure but "not entirely a copy-cat" cannot exist. You're either a copy-cat or you're not.

People can criticize them musically all they want and some here are making good points. I'm not one of those dudes who goes ballistic because someone finds fault in a band I like. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if they never veered away from their Rush influences because they're doing such great work in this creative lane. It's almost as if Billy was born to do it. Quite a few of their songs, IMO, are actually better than a lot of New Rush songs. But I certainly wouldn't discourage them from branching out. Full disclosure: I haven't heard the new album yet so I can't comment on the band's musical growth or lack thereof.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 1