I met Nicko McBrain!!!!!!

Oh...my...GOD!!!! I'm still reeling from having met Nicko, one of my heroes, at the CosmoFest in Richmond Hill yesterday. This is an instruments expo that goes on every year on the first Saturday of June. It has massive discounts on instruments and gadgets, and workshops and meets and greets with many artists. This year the cast consisted of Andy Timmons, Alex Skolnick (of Testament), Simon Phillips (Toto, The Who), Omar Hakim (sting, Madonna etc.) and the amazing Nicko, from Maiden of course. I saw Simon and Nicko's clinics, and did all the meet and greets. And I'm in contact with Simon Phillips and Alex Skolnick to set up interviews with them.Oh, and Geddy was there too, signing his book and was seen with Dave Grohl. Here are a few pics:

20190601-195952.jpg

20190601-101804.jpg

20190601-101910.jpg

20190601-161023.jpg

20190601-135237.jpg

62169739-10157214208824144-813031807279693824-n.jpg

• Like 12

I couldn't catch Omar's workshop, but saw Simon. He played a Toto song whose name I can't remember, and a few songs from Protocol. Nicko was more storytelling than playing, but he played Where Eagles Dare and a great solo.
  • Like 5

I see Niko sometimes when we eat at Rock N Roll Ribs. It is his place here in South Florida (Coral Springs). Amazing ribs, great atmosphere with Maiden concerts (and other rock shows) on TV’s in the restaurant.

Fun times.

• Like 2

Rod, you getting to meet "Nicko McBrain", "Simon Phillips", and "Omar Hakim", is pretty good. I think the photos look, and are good. Able to set up for an interview with "Simon" is great, too. If it were me, and able to, I would've tried to meet "Geddy Lee", get a photo, and picture taken, and his autograph, too. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

That's awesome Rod! I'm happy for you. I got a rare invite to watch Steve Harris play in a pickup soccer match here in KC a couple years ago. I shook his hand, praised the new album and he graciously signed my deluxe Book Of Souls case and said 'Cheers mate' (I missed my photo op though, oh well). After the soccer match once I got in my truck and was driving home I actually teared up from gratitude and keeping my adrenaline at bay during the meeting--it caught me off guard. I've met several of my music heroes and have never had that reaction before; Steve has been a god to me since 1984 when I was 11 and one of the most important figures in metal history. The next night during the show I caught one of Nicko's drum sticks (he played Wasted Years with it--not one of the few extra sticks he grabbed after). Unvelieveable. I have a little shrine in my man room. Lol. Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1

I always liked that McBrain and Burr didn't have double bass drums in their kits, even when almost everyone else in metal did.

I can't recall a lot of Maiden songs that feature the kind of rapid fire bass drum that usually comes with double bass kits. I can't imagine that style of drumming would improve anything they've done either.

I always liked that McBrain and Burr didn't have double bass drums in their kits, even when almost everyone else in metal did.

I can't recall a lot of Maiden songs that feature the kind of rapid fire bass drum that usually comes with double bass kits. I can't imagine that style of drumming would improve anything they've done either.

To my knowledge, Nicko doesn't even use double bass pedals--he has a very fast foot I've heard. The only Maiden songs I can think of with double bass are Out Of The Silent Planet and Face In The Sand. It's a shame it's probably too problematic for him to bother with the technique live every night, because I would love to hear Silent Planet live--probably the main reason they haven't bothered.