Post unpopular music opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

Green Day are a sub par pop-punk band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick... errr I mean MalformedEarthborn

I laughed...

TAD were the best band of the whole late 80s-early 90s Seattle "grunge" alt-rock/metal/post-punk thing.

Completely erased from history. These guys opened for Nirvana on the Euro Nevermind tour and for Soundgarden on the Superunknown tour?!?

Salt Lick, God's Balls, and 8-Way Santa are 9/10 albums. They just weren't marketable for that pretty grunge boy image.

• Like 1

TAD were the best band of the whole late 80s-early 90s Seattle "grunge" alt-rock/metal/post-punk thing.

Completely erased from history. These guys opened for Nirvana on the Euro Nevermind tour and for Soundgarden on the Superunknown tour?!?

Salt Lick, God's Balls, and 8-Way Santa are 9/10 albums. They just weren't marketable for that pretty grunge boy image.

Could you post me a link?

I think their full albums are on YouTube on their official account. Check out the Salt Lick EP.

It really grinds through the every song. If that's not your taste, God's Balls was their debut album.

Edited by MalformedEarthborn
  • Like 1

I think their full albums are on YouTube on their official account. Check out the Salt Lick EP.

It really grinds through the every song. If that's not your taste, God's Balls was their debut album.

I vaguely remember reading about them in Kerrang sometime late 80sand checking out their stuff...pretty good, nice and raw.

I vaguely remember reading about them in Kerrang sometime late 80sand checking out their stuff...pretty good, nice and raw.

He's got a sort of Lemmy throat rattle that I find much "grungier" than an Eddie Vedder "meatball stuck in my throat" mumble

He's got a sort of Lemmy throat rattle that I find much "grungier" than an Eddie Vedder "meatball stuck in my throat" mumble

Just listened to God's Balls. Music was decent enough. No go on the vocals. I have never been much for those type of vocalists. So TAD will never be a group I enjoy.

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

Green Day are a sub par pop-punk band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick... errr I mean MalformedEarthborn

Touche my friend, lol

i still stand by what i said though.

but that was funny.

Mick

• Like 1

Might not be super unpopular, more just my personal take based on a lot of listening and a little bit of history, but here:

A large part of what makes Peace Sells... but Who's Buying a great album is the substantial jazz and swing/big band influence found in the licks and phrases and somewhat in the arrangements of the songs. The opening few notes of Wake Up Dead is thrashed-up swing, the title track's baseline is so groovy because of its semi-swung rhythm and jazzy syncopation, and I Ain't Superstitious speaks for itself (blues is the main link between jazz and rock for those who are unaware, but Megadeth's giddy, ott take reminds me of a big band just going at it). Also riff fests like Black Friday, My Last Words, or Devil's Island sound like thrashed and extended energetic sections of double-time swing charts. Now I don't claim to have near as much experience with jazz as with rock or metal, other than the fact that I played in my junior high and high school jazz bands for 7 years and still listen to the music as I try to make my college's jazz ensemble. However, I think knowing that Chris and Gar had played in jazz fusion ensembles before joining Megadeth also helps me to come to these conclusions about the music. It also explains why I don't hear so much of that jazz/swing influence after they left.

• Like 2

Might not be super unpopular, more just my personal take based on a lot of listening and a little bit of history, but here:

A large part of what makes Peace Sells... but Who's Buying a great album is the substantial jazz and swing/big band influence found in the licks and phrases and somewhat in the arrangements of the songs. The opening few notes of Wake Up Dead is thrashed-up swing, the title track's baseline is so groovy because of its semi-swung rhythm and jazzy syncopation, and I Ain't Superstitious speaks for itself (blues is the main link between jazz and rock for those who are unaware, but Megadeth's giddy, ott take reminds me of a big band just going at it). Also riff fests like Black Friday, My Last Words, or Devil's Island sound like thrashed and extended energetic sections of double-time swing charts. Now I don't claim to have near as much experience with jazz as with rock or metal, other than the fact that I played in my junior high and high school jazz bands for 7 years and still listen to the music as I try to make my college's jazz ensemble. However, I think knowing that Chris and Gar had played in jazz fusion ensembles before joining Megadeth also helps me to come to these conclusions about the music. It also explains why I don't hear so much of that jazz/swing influence after they left.

This reads like it belongs in a completely other thread...that's not unpopular. That's interesting.

• Like 5

This reads like it belongs in a completely other thread...that's not unpopular. That's interesting.

I might join Jazz this year, is it fun!? I know one of my idols Mike Mills was in Jazz band (Bass), ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :heart:. He also played in concert band (Tuba) and marching band (Sousaphone).

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 2

I actually like K-Pop and think it is good.

R.E.M. are way way better than Rush.

Journey, Queen, Kansas, Primus, The Beatles, Elvis, and Midnight Oil aren't all that great, I've heard better.

I agree with you.

I too have heard bands I enjoy more than all of these.

R.E.M. are amazing.

• Like 1

Journey, Queen, Kansas, Primus, The Beatles, Elvis, and Midnight Oil aren't all that great, I've heard better.

I agree with you.

I too have heard bands I enjoy more than all of these.

R.E.M. are amazing.

Ya!?

YESSSSSSS R.E.M.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find Pet sounds to be a Mind numbing experience. aside from maybe 3 song it just sounds like a bad 60's movie soundtrack.

lol.....it actually put me to sleep on first spin.

Mick

I LOVE this album! Remembering the times it came out in, it's very innovative in sound and production values...But, unfotunatly, not everyone's tastes are like anyone elses!

2QaJ2Se.jpg

• Like 1

I might join Jazz this year, is it fun!? I know one of my idols Mike Mills was in Jazz band (Bass), ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :heart:. He also played in concert band (Tuba) and marching band (Sousaphone).

Join jazz, you won't regret it. Learning the blues scale was the first best thing I ever did as a musician, and I wouldn't have learned it without joining jazz band.

• Like 2

Lol, well at least it can lighten the mood for a moment!

In other news, I NEED more jazz in my collection. My goodness is it short on that.

Testament blows Metallica out of the water.

Apples and oranges. In my opinion, of course. It's strange that I bought "Peace Sells", "Master of Puppets" and "The New Order" on the same day in 1988 at a record store close to my Townhouse that was going out of business. They were my first THRASH Metal albums....I like all those groups in the same way. I STILL love all those groups the same. My BFF Dave, liked Testament after I played the album for him...he already had "Peace Sells" And I bought "Master of Puppets" because I'd heard James Hetfield had worked with Dave Mustaine before.

MhAtB9Y.jpg

Sousaphone comes in two shapes. The common one, which I knew as a TUBA from my youth, and One which my BFF Dave owned.

a7kX0Vs.jpg4iQSxJC.jpg

qZ2cAX3.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

Sousaphone comes in two shapes. The common one, which I knew as a TUBA from my youth, and One which my BFF Dave owned.

a7kX0Vs.jpg4iQSxJC.jpg

Looks amazing!!

• Like 1

If you dont like the Beatles, then your brain is wired wrong when it comes to music.

K pop is cool!

• Like 2

If you dont like the Beatles, then your brain is wired wrong when it comes to music.

K pop is cool!

Or she's a high school kid who is so far removed from the Beatles time that she doesn't see the big deal in them with all the music that's available today via the internet.

I'm not the biggest Beatles fan. In fact I think a lot of their earlier stuff like Love Me Do, I Wanna Hold Your Hand and songs like that are pure pop garbage. But once they got on the drugs and started experimenting with their music the band became exponentially better.

• Like 4